Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power wall founders edition for sale!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I second that question
FYI Powerwalls have a shelf life of maybe 18 months maybe 2 years at the absolute most. I'd be suspicious about founders series that weren't shown to be working or shown to be delivered to the seller in the last 12 months, before shelling out on them.
Since this is a user with a pretty low post count selling a very expensive item, buyer beware.

Reactions: macbeth
FYI Powerwalls have a shelf life of maybe 18 months maybe 2 years at the absolute most.

I actually have a data point on that. It all depends on the SOC% before being disconnected from grid power.

I had a Founder's PW installed at our last house, then we moved. I had it uninstalled by Tesla (at 100% SOC), and it then sat in the basement of our new house for 19 months before I could get it re-installed with our new solar panel install. We were all afraid it would be dead after sitting for so long.

When they got it hooked up and running -- the SOC was 97% and has been running perfectly since June.

In another thread a former Tesla PW engineer said the shelf-life when new was about a year, but that's only because they are shipped at a 25% SOC.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines
I actually have a data point on that. It all depends on the SOC% before being disconnected from grid power.

I had a Founder's PW installed at our last house, then we moved. I had it uninstalled by Tesla (at 100% SOC), and it then sat in the basement of our new house for 19 months before I could get it re-installed with our new solar panel install. We were all afraid it would be dead after sitting for so long.

When they got it hooked up and running -- the SOC was 97% and has been running perfectly since June.

In another thread a former Tesla PW engineer said the shelf-life when new was about a year, but that's only because they are shipped at a 25% SOC.
So anyone who is looking to keep their long storage Powerwall alive may want to connect it to a 30A breaker and get some charge in it. I have heard that it will self-charge a small amount to keep itself alive regardless of a connection to the TEG.