Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power went out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla support told me that.

I run a rather . . . advanced . . . home network. When I do upgrades, which is about every 2 weeks, then the TEG loses the IP and doesn't pick it back up. Since I log to my home server all the data from the TEG, I have to reboot it each time.

A simple tap reboots the TEG, every time.
off topic but curious what you upgrade every 2 weeks.

off topic but curious what you upgrade every 2 weeks.

UniFi network setup. Because I am connected directly to multiple datacenters that we run (unfiltered traffic), I have to make sure that any security patch available for the networking equipment is installed (on my side especially).

Probably some paranoia, but even VPNing into the datacenter and then connecting to the core routing equipment, the attacks I see are mind-boggling.

I'm so paranoid that I have separate networks and VLANs for just about everything at home (IoT devices, TVs, kids laptops, mission critical backup server, home server, etc. etc.).

So . . . not your normal home setup.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
UniFi network setup. Because I am connected directly to multiple datacenters that we run (unfiltered traffic), I have to make sure that any security patch available for the networking equipment is installed (on my side especially).

Probably some paranoia, but even VPNing into the datacenter and then connecting to the core routing equipment, the attacks I see are mind-boggling.

I'm so paranoid that I have separate networks and VLANs for just about everything at home (IoT devices, TVs, kids laptops, mission critical backup server, home server, etc. etc.).

Ah. much more complicated than my UDM Pro. lol

I sm trying, without success, to get my VLANs up on my UDM Pro and Edge Switches. I want to put the Tesla Gateway on one VLAN, IoT devices on another, and everything else on the main LAN. It seems so simple in the docs, but cannot seem to get it working. I think I need to somehow let my EdgeSwitches know about the VLANs and pass the packets. Anyone have thoughts?

I sm trying, without success, to get my VLANs up on my UDM Pro and Edge Switches. I want to put the Tesla Gateway on one VLAN, IoT devices on another, and everything else on the main LAN. It seems so simple in the docs, but cannot seem to get it working. I think I need to somehow let my EdgeSwitches know about the VLANs and pass the packets. Anyone have thoughts?

Make sure you have different IP ranges for each VLAN. Once that is done, if you assign a device that connects wirelessly to the different WiFi network, it will automatically be on the separate VLAN. If the device is connected by Ethernet, I have had to force static IPs so that the UDM Pro properly assigns them to the VLAN I want.

Oh, and hidden SSIDs can really trip up some IoT devices. My pool equipment will literally refuse to connect to a non-broadcast SSID. It drives me bonkers.

EDIT - devices that need to talk to each other should be on the same VLAN, obviously. For example, I log everything from my Tesla Powerwall Gateway to a home server. Those two are on the same VLAN for that, otherwise the difficulties connecting to each other can be more significant. I know, it's a added risk, but I have a little more faith in Tesla keeping up to date on patches than I do with other IoT providers.

talked to Tesla yesterday. It is the Neurio. They are sending to my Installer who says they cannot come out until 9/29 and thats if they get the part by then. In the meantime, we have a high fire danger starting Saturday

semi good news
So I told installer that I ws going to be one unhappy customer if PSPS happens this weekend and they cannot come out until 9/29. So they called back and said they are sending out a guy today. However, he will not have the Neurio part. hopefully it is something else, but have my doubts

what timing. They got it fixed yesterday and we are in a power outage right now. Was unplanned, not PSPS

Oh wow...! really glad you got it fixed. The only thing power related I can think of that would be more frustrating than having solar on your roof, sun shining and no power (which is exactly what you get when you have solar and no powerwalls) is to have solar on your roof, POWERWALLS, sun shining... and still no power.

even 1 minute without power would feel like too long, given that someone with that setup would have spent a lot of time, effort and money to avoid that specific scenario.