Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powered doors are a PITA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ek993

Jun 19, 2018
CT
The powered front doors on the X are such a pointless gimmick and PITA. When opening the door in my garage, or parking lots where cars are next to you - the door cranks open a little at first then kind of sticks there for a few seconds and you are left wrestling with the door trying to open it more so you can get in the car. Eventually figures out its safe and you have enough space and gives you control of the door again. Huge PITA when it’s raining and you just want to open the door and jump in.

Think they are totally unnecessary and add no value to the door opening process - just let me manually open the door as fast and as far as I want.

Only other car I know of, with powered open and close doors is the Rolls Royce Phantom. (except of course the mini-van sliders)

For me they are exquisites. The silent open, with enhanced ultrasonic sensors, combined with the fully closing by putting one the brake are enchanting. The silent, last inch pull close is the cherry on top.

Yeah right on, except in the Tesla the door just slams itself straight through the soft close mechanism and for that reason I now always close the front doors manually out of mechanical sympathy! It desperately needs an effective damper on the auto door close.

But I do prefer how the doors open automatically when you hit the exterior door button or pull the interior door handle. I miss that feature in the Model S.

Tip: Instead of just pushing against a partially opened automatic door, I quickly found that you simply have to pull the door back toward you a little to release the mechanism before pushing it open manually again.

• Informative
Reactions: inconel and idoco
When I bought my MX, the self-presenting doors were a part of the optional Premium package. I thought this feature was pretty silly at the time but wanted the package for other features.

Now however, anytime I'm driving a car other than my MX, I miss the doors.

I agree that the door opening is pretty annoying. However the door close with the brake pedal feeds into my super laziness which I like. :D

Also the door mechanism was replaced within the 1st month as it failed so I am worried about the long term reliability of these things.

We're getting a 3 soon and the one feature I miss is the auto-presenting doors and the ability to close the door by pressing on the brake. I do that ALL the time when I'm not in the X. Muscle memory.

Also love the FWDs. As difficult as they are to manufacture, I sure hope Tesla realizes just how special those doors make the car feel.

Reactions: FarmerDave
I also like the auto door for the reasons already mentioned.

Feature enhancement suggestion: Make the auto-presenting feature work on the passenger side too. My dad taught me to open the door for my mom and sister. To this day 99.99% of the time, I have opened the door for any women getting into my car.

Pushing the door "handle" on the passenger side is pretty cool, but to be honest, not my fav or very elegant. The falcon wing doors I can open as I approach with the fob. Elegant. My door opens as I approach. Elegant.

What about the passenger door? Auto-present. Elegant. Maybe a split button on the right side of the fob? Elegant.

Yes I know a double-click of the fob opens the driver door and a subsequent double-click opens the passenger door. Elegant but not perfect. If I'm parked on the street, now my door is open until I get there with cars driving by. Dangerous. Or in rainy weather, gets soaked. Definitely not elegant.

Add auto-present to both doors.

Reactions: Bestla
We're getting a 3 soon and the one feature I miss is the auto-presenting doors and the ability to close the door by pressing on the brake. I do that ALL the time when I'm not in the X. Muscle memory.

Also love the FWDs. As difficult as they are to manufacture, I sure hope Tesla realizes just how special those doors make the car feel.

This is going to happen "a lot" after you got your 3. All your family who got used to the auto close doors on the MX will just softly close the passenger door or rear door assuming that it will finish the job by itself. On the first few days, you will realized what happened when the M3 does not make a beeping sound to lock when you walk away. You will sigh, and walk back to close the door tight. After a while, you will learn to yell at whoever just close the softly, "SLAM the door shut! This is not Mama's car!" Oops did I just say that out loud? :p

It would be nice if the automatic door open function would be split into also just allowing for the key fob to open the front doors without the door automatically opening when the fob was nearby.

+1
I had a couple of near misses with the self-presenting driver's door and so disabled it and was then disappointed to find this also disables the key fob from opening the front doors too.

I also like the auto door for the reasons already mentioned.

Feature enhancement suggestion: Make the auto-presenting feature work on the passenger side too. My dad taught me to open the door for my mom and sister. To this day 99.99% of the time, I have opened the door for any women getting into my car.

Pushing the door "handle" on the passenger side is pretty cool, but to be honest, not my fav or very elegant. The falcon wing doors I can open as I approach with the fob. Elegant. My door opens as I approach. Elegant.

What about the passenger door? Auto-present. Elegant. Maybe a split button on the right side of the fob? Elegant.

Yes I know a double-click of the fob opens the driver door and a subsequent double-click opens the passenger door. Elegant but not perfect. If I'm parked on the street, now my door is open until I get there with cars driving by. Dangerous. Or in rainy weather, gets soaked. Definitely not elegant.

Add auto-present to both doors.
When the driver door auto-presents, you only need to double click once for the passenger side. I do that all the time for my wife. Yes you have to approach the driver side slightly ahead of your passenger to time it right, but, it works.

Reactions: Bestla