Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerFields: A Ballasted Ground PV Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
This is a new solution for ground arrays that does not require concrete or piles. It is inexpensive, easy to build, and I suspect easy to permit (if needed at all.)

FwEUT6IYJcFXSZULe2w38HKqtW5aN-J9I5bMikpREsXGzP06joSRXRPMIgq-cv3qLJ60L9MkYaUIatKRhLhSejKjYW60gX--vSCpHLUb8S_m7CLy8icFyrVLH5uTRsArhEQxd-OUPwUQPvGmAZUcXNlinhaec0pEBacej98=s0-d-e1-ft

Patrick J. Fleming
Director of Operations
PowerField Energy Inc.
703.623.9462 (c)

I chatted with Patrick this morning:

The company is happy to work with home owners and they take on large scale projects as well. Here are some of the details most people would ask about:

• Depending on config, between 1-2 containers ("buckets") per panel: ~ 1 per panel if buckets are level; 2 if not
  • $80 per bucket
  • One example of shipping: OH to CA $1600 for 120 buckets
  • Permit documents provided for a vanilla installation (I think that mostly means level ground)
I'm excited; this is a fine and not expensive solution for people with the right land. It also appeals to my DIY character. This is going to be my plan 'B' if PV on my roof cannot be done or is too expensive. This thread is for people who may be interested in the product and for people to ask questions and give answers, and I asked Patrick to peek at the thread as he sees fit to provide vendor input.

I wish them well ! I think they are on to an excellent solution

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
Thank you SageBrush for creating this thread. We're obviously pretty excited about our own PowerField PowerRack product. To respect the forum, I won't be salesy here.

But I'm happy to answer any questions, and any of you are welcome to contact me privately: [email protected], 703-623-9462.

ReddyLeaf, I really like 5B's system. That kind of pre-fab design works great for many projects. We wanted to build a rack that could be purchased separately and used with modules sourced elsewhere. We also wanted users to be able to integrate any type of ballast that might be readily available. Finally, we wanted the units to be wieldy enough that a single DIY-er could literally install a system by themselves.

Our customers so far have been very happy, and I hope SageBrush and mspohr become part of that group too!

One advantage is that the termites won't eat your support structure, that thing in france...I just snorted...it would last 1 year in Australia before the termites would be building homes. Maybe 2-3 in SE US. Even a black locust post would have issues in 10 years. Then the problem that you have power next to a combustable material. Crazy stuff.

But as @SageBrush requests...powerfield focused. It's a neat solution, I'd be worried about wind, even ballasted. I'm only an hour west so if they want to test some on a windy hillside they could use our farm or neighbors for a test (old panels different amounts of ballast). We'll hit 60mph gusts almost every winter/spring. Cool to see a northern VA company doing something new. The winds tear off our roof shingles every winter.

One advantage is that the termites won't eat your support structure, that thing in france...I just snorted...it would last 1 year in Australia before the termites would be building homes. Maybe 2-3 in SE US. Even a black locust post would have issues in 10 years. Then the problem that you have power next to a combustable material. Crazy stuff.

But as @SageBrush requests...powerfield focused. It's a neat solution, I'd be worried about wind, even ballasted. I'm only an hour west so if they want to test some on a windy hillside they could use our farm or neighbors for a test (old panels different amounts of ballast). We'll hit 60mph gusts almost every winter/spring. Cool to see a northern VA company doing something new. The winds tear off our roof shingles every winter.
Each bin holds 500 lbs ballast. It's engineered to high wind loads . But, our building department has an absurd 293 lbs sq ft snow load which is impossible. Trying to reason with the unreasonable.

Are you saying they do not distinguish between uplift and snow load?
They have separate requirements for wind and snow.
Snow load has been 245 lbs sq ft but now they are requiring 293 for some reason. I don't know any PV panel which has that high of a rating so I think it will be impossible to meet that requirement regardless of mounting system.

Reactions: Ampster
it will be impossible to meet that requirement regardless of mounting system.
Now I understand the point of your post. It has nothing to do with the ballast mounts referenced in the title of his thread. Does your jurisdiction place any value on tilt? Intuitively it would seem tilt would reduce load and increase likelyhood of shedding snow. I realize there would be tradoff with wind and uplift. That is not possible with those ballasted systems.

Last edited: