Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powering accessories and audio off the new 12v lithium battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone run into issues using accessories (air compressor, etc) or powering audio amplifiers with the new 12v lithium battery? I read it's actually 15.5v so it's higher than a lead acid peak voltage which most accessories/amps were designed for. I'd assume the voltage goes even higher when charging the new battery while it's in use.

Anyone run into issues using accessories (air compressor, etc) or powering audio amplifiers with the new 12v lithium battery? I read it's actually 15.5v so it's higher than a lead acid peak voltage which most accessories/amps were designed for. I'd assume the voltage goes even higher when charging the new battery while it's in use.
The Tesla Model Y Owner's manual states that for Model Y vehicles built after November 2021 that aftermarket 12V/120V power inverters need to be able to operate with 16V supply voltages.

Reactions: GtiMart and 101dals
I've just run into this with a 2022 MYLR. We have a SUP inflation pump that show an input voltage protection error when we try to run it off the 12 lighter adapter. It appears we're going to have to get a portable battery to run the pump, rather annoying.

Yep, I heard of people having trouble with their paddle board inflation pumps. As said above, they need to support 16V which is higher than what lead acid 12V batteries typically work on, even when charging. I suppose the alternative is to find a power bank that can charge at 16V but provide a lower, more standard 12V.

Yes; a 15.5V lithium low voltage battery is now standard on all Tesla Model 3, Model Y, also refreshed Model S, Model X.
just curious if it is LiFePO4 and how cold weather is dealt with (e.g. -20F). My understanding is that trying to charge such batteries below 32F is death), yet I don't think one can afford to heat the battery... (think leaving the car at the airport for 30days in -20F weather...)

just curious if it is LiFePO4 and how cold weather is dealt with (e.g. -20F). My understanding is that trying to charge such batteries below 32F is death), yet I don't think one can afford to heat the battery... (think leaving the car at the airport for 30days in -20F weather...)
I don't know. There is a series of tear down videos on the new 15.5V battery module that shows that the control board has a thermal cutoff switch to prevent charging when the temperature is too low.