Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powering Up Problem After 1 Week in Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I travel a lot for business and no one drives my Tesla during these 1 or 2 week trips.

I leave the car plugged in at home during this time on a Tesla wall charger. I charge to the 275 mile level.

During my travels I check the car using the app. On this last trip the car fell off the internet connection on April 15 - I left home and the last drive was on April 11

Upon return the car on April 19th does not power up.

The message says that it’s powering up but doesn’t.

So I reboot it. The car finally will allow putting the car into gear but the large display screen will not work.

I did drive the car on Saturday, April 21 without the display panel.

Each time the car is put into park it shuts down and then it goes through the “car powering up” cycle and after 1 or 2 minutes allow the car to be put into gear.

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Deep sleep can happen with prolonged unused period. It usually works fine after a reboot.

If rebooting once did not fix it, did you do more repeated reboot yet?

Someone told me to apply the brake pedal and reboot at the same might help.

You might also consider to turn off energy savings to see if that would help:

Displays > Energy Saving > OFF, and check "Always Connect"

I'm on a two week trip right now. I left it on a trickle charger. You might want to consider this. I am not an expert, just hoping it is good for the 12V during these extended garage stays. I can't believe they don't charge the 12V while the car is plugged into the wall.

I'm driving a Chrysler 300. I have to say I am enjoying the soft ride. But I hate the gas engine/transmission effect. I hope someday an EV comes out that's a big comfortable living room on wheels like this car.

Just guessing but I'd also try a "full power off" via the settings screen - maybe leave it off several minutes. I've seen that fix things a steering wheel reboot will not.
Okay, that’s what Tesla recommends sometimes. But I wouldn’t call it a ‘longer’ reboot. That’s more ‘turning the car off’. Only thing more than that is pulling 12V power totally and most users don’t want to get that deep into it. And I don’t blame them.

I'm on a two week trip right now. I left it on a trickle charger. You might want to consider this. I am not an expert, just hoping it is good for the 12V during these extended garage stays. I can't believe they don't charge the 12V while the car is plugged into the wall.

My 7 month old 2017 MS sat plugged in for 3 weeks while I was out of the country. Returned to a "12-volt battery needs to be replaced". I am now a fan of 12-volt trickle charges for extended down time.

Okay, what’s a ‘longer’ reboot? If something reboots, it reboots. Not sure what you’re getting at here...
I held the scroll wheels for a long time. Minutes. Before the center screen came back. It’s usually 15-30 seconds. I held much longer.

My understanding is the OPs Center screen isn’t working, so power off isn’t an option.

The next choice would be 12v battery disconnect.

OK. So just to be clear, it is only necessary to hold the buttons until the screen goes blank :D
Exactly. Once it starts to reboot, it doesn’t ‘help’ to hold them down. Like the reset button on your desktop PC.

This is a strange case though. My car is plugged in all the time and sometimes isn’t driven for a week because I work from home and carpool to work for the days we go in. Never had these isssies. Be interesting to see what Tesla has to say.

But the 12v is charged all the time as it needs it from the main pack. I’ve never heard of a trickle charger on a Tesla 12v battery. That’s what the main pack DOES, it charges the 12v battery. I might have missed another post saying this...

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4