TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

PowerPack discussion - business and utility-scale stationary storage

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Newb, May 6, 2015.

1. Newb

Newb Member

Since there's no Tesla Powerpack thread with a customer perspective out there yet, I'd propose to start it here.

Here's the information from Tesla's website about the business and utility-scale battery pack, called Tesla Powerpack.

"For utility scale systems, 100kWh battery blocks are grouped to scale from 500kWh to 10MWh+.

These systems are capable of 2hr or 4hr continuous net discharge power using grid tied bi-directional inverters.

Systems support applications including peak shaving, load shifting and demand response for commercial customers while offering, renewable firming and a variety of grid services at utility scales.

Tesla Energy for Utilities is designed to:

• Firm up renewable generation by reconciling the intermittency of power from these sources and storing excess capacity to dispatch when it’s needed.
    • Increase resource capacity. Tesla Energy for Utilities acts as on-demand distributed power generation, contributing to the overall generating capacity while adding resiliency to the grid.
    • Ramp Control. Tesla Energy for Utilities can act as a buffer while the power output from a large generation source is ramping up or down, delivering power instantly to smoothly transition output to the required level.
    • Improve power quality by preventing fluctuations from propagating to downstream loads.
    • Defer costly and time-consuming infrastructure upgrades.
    • Manage peak demand by deploying power within seconds or milliseconds."
    Now, Tesla has already announced utility-scale projects (e.g. with OnCor), but I'm wondering which commercial applications would be useful or if there's any commercial customers you know of, who contemplate the 100kwh Tesla Powerpack.

Edit: Here's an interesting read from Forbes on utility scale solutions:
    Why Tesla Batteries Are Cheap Enough To Prevent New Power Plants - Forbes

2. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

3. Tuan

Tuan Member

Does anyone know the price? Elon didn't announce it, but Forbes article is saying $250/kWh or $25,000 for the 100kWh powerpak. At my business, I'm paying an average of around $400/month. Last summer, I was paying almost $800 in August.

Elon didn't mention about leasing their products either.

4. swaltner

swaltner Member

I'm pretty sure that Elon gave that $25,000 price in the original announcement. No matter, the same price is quoted in the Q1 shareholder's letter that was just released.

5. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

1 week and demand is 34,000 orders for the PowerWall and 2500 orders for the PowerPack. It was stated that the industrial orders are for large systems of 10 or more. Demand for 25,000 was discussed.

They couldn't emphasize enough that demand was greater than they could even deal with. Elon said they had to triage demand since it was so overwhelming.

6. paul7200

paul7200 Member

Kudos to Transalta (a Calgary based electricity power generator) and the Alberta government for leading the way in Canada announcing their intent to use Tesla's PowerPack.

TransAlta teams up with Tesla - BNN News