Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powertrain failure alert, working 10 mins later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news first - I have been driving the car for the last two weeks! Bit of a change after driving a Leaf for 6 months!

Two minor problems remain... the airbag warning light is on and it is report TPMS Hardware Error.

I ordered a set of replacement TMPS sensors in case that is the TPMS problem. It does still seem to be reporting pressure numbers for all 4 wheels however.

Airbag warning light - any thoughts on how best to diagnose?

Reactions: augkuo
Did you touch the dash? I know you have to get new clips if you pull the dash out. I also remember reading all sorts of codes if the 12v battery is low. Possibly charge that fully just to rule it out. If your getting readings I suspect it’s not the sensors. Again the monitoring for both systems would be on the 12v side not the high voltage side so I assume it’s something going on there. I’m deliberately avoiding mentioning the dc/dc converter as it’s super expensive and I’m hoping it’s a simple fix after everything else.

Two minor problems remain... the airbag warning light is on and it is report TPMS Hardware Error.

I ordered a set of replacement TMPS sensors in case that is the TPMS problem. It does still seem to be reporting pressure numbers for all 4 wheels however.

Airbag warning light - any thoughts on how best to diagnose?

I just resolved a 1.5 TPMS hardware error by replacing all the sensors after cloning them.

As for the airbag warning light. Try a few a different resets.
1) Unplug and plug in the air bag module
2) Unplug and plug in the VMS connectors
3) Perform a charge port door reset

Curious how does one clone a 1.5 TPMS sensor?
1) Acquire ATEQ 46 TMPS tool
2) Acquire appropriate HUF/Beru or universal TPMS sensors (I used Sen.IT RS3 sensors)
3) Clone the information from the original sensors to the new sensors. It's done one at a time with the ATEQ tool.
4) Enjoy the absence of "TPMS Hardware error"

Soon the ATEQ tools may have the ability to even reprogram TPMS sensors for the Roadsters and Early Model Ss with the Baolong TPMS system.

1) Acquire ATEQ 46 TMPS tool
2) Acquire appropriate HUF/Beru or universal TPMS sensors (I used Sen.IT RS3 sensors)
3) Clone the information from the original sensors to the new sensors. It's done one at a time with the ATEQ tool.
4) Enjoy the absence of "TPMS Hardware error"

Soon the ATEQ tools may have the ability to even reprogram TPMS sensors for the Roadsters and Early Model Ss with the Baolong TPMS system.
Cool I was told and verified this myself that the 1.5s do not need a tool. Just swap sensors and drive 21 miles to allow the computer to synchronize. I assume your method skips the drive and may allow generic TPMS sensors.

The car is very confused about the new TPMS sensors.

I ordered them pre-programmed and figured the car would learn after 20-odd miles.

They came up almost immediately - FL 30psi, FR 30 psi, RL 40psi, RR no information.

Drive for 21 miles, stopped, restarted car - FL 40psi, FR 30psi, RL 40psi, RR no information. Note the FL pressure.

Today I drove another 21 miles, stopped, restarted car, drove another mile - FL 30psi, FR 40psi, RL 40psi, RR 40psi. Note the FR pressure.

Restarted car and drive another mile - FL 30psi, FR 30 psi, RL 40psi, RR 78psi. WTF?

Hi Nick,

The TPMS Hardware error does not necessarily point to the tire sensors..............
The later TPMS system consists of seven components:
1: the ECU - never seen by me - located in the mess under the dash near the steering column
2: two antennae - located on the center line of the car - one near the license plate the other an arm's length back from the front bumper
3: the 4 sensors in the tires.
Both the front and the rear antennae contain all 4 tire addresses for redundancy.
Either antenna may have corrupt information but as long as one antenna contains 4 valid addresses it will work IF all other components
are functional.

The cars of your vintage also have 4 wake up antennae or paddles one at each wheel.
Their purpose is to "wake up" the tire sensors to command them to report.

It is entirely possible in your case that the ECU is failing...
Hopefully you have a map of the tire addresses and their locations.
With this information an Ateq or other tool could at least verify their locations.

You probably need a visit to someone or a service center with the Tesla TPMS tool to help your diagnosis.

Good luck,

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: petergrub
Where do I find the airbag module so I can plug and unplug?
It's under the dash and right behind the passenger airbag. Removing the dash requires breaking the four clips that hold the passenger airbag cover. Before you get to that point, let's try unplugging some other things to get the airbag module to power cycle.

The airbag module (SRS) gets its 12V power from the switchpack (SWP), but the switch pack is also under the dash and behind the instrument panel (IP). The switchpack receives 12V power from several sources, so let's remove as many as we can from areas we can easily access. Along the way, you can check if shutting down a particular 12V power supply(s) had any affect on the airbag module by turning that supply back on and checking if the SRS light is off.

1) Inhibit the APS from Controls in the diagnostics menu
2) Pull the inline 30A auxiliary battery fuse under the front hood next to the high voltage HVAC controller (silver box with the two large orange connectors)

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak