TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Powertrain Problem ID: 963

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by tvuolo, Nov 1, 2015.

1. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Hi guys,

I searched around and found lots of Powertrain Problem reports, but never with ID: 963, DATA: 0x40000000. DMC FW: Line Current Not Equal Request fault.

IMG_2484.jpg

I plugged my car in last Thursday night, it charged for a while at 40A from the HPWC. After a while the HPWC did it's THUNK and I thought it was done, but it thunked several times. I went out to the garage and found this error. If I restart charging, it will go through 3 cycles of trying to charge before giving up and showing a red ring on the charge port. I tried again with the UMC, but it produced the same error.

The car is at 66% charge, and is drivable. If I put it in gear, the error goes away and I can drive normally. The error returns when I try to charge again.

I called the Denver Service Center and they said they would rather pick it up, than have me drive it down. I'm wondering if this is something simple, or if it's going to be a hugely expensive fix. It's a few days from it's annual service, so could it be something as simple as a dirty PEM?

2. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

From my list: 963 with rank 4 = internal PEM fault. Remedy says replace PEM. Not good news but the service center would know for sure. I would say don't drive if you can't charge.

3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I got that error (DMC FW: Line Current Not Equal Request fault) when one of the fuses blew to the battery heater. It would retry every couple of minutes just like yours did with repeated thunks from the charger. But I'm not sure that's your problem if it happened at the end of a 40A charge. By then your battery would have been warm enough so as not to need pack heating.

4. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

@hcsharp
    Is there a thread where a list of errors and debug errors is posted???

I was getting a similar "powertrain..." error and Bethesda service replaced one of my PEM fans. The problem has been gone for about a month now.

5. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

6. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

Thank You for the reference:biggrin:

7. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

I got my roadster back yesterday... Seems like 2 fuses blew.

I haven't had a chance to drive it since getting it back.

8. slcasner

slcasner Member

I'll repeat an old story and apologize if it is a repeat for some of you. When we attended the inauguration of the Roadster charger at Harris Ranch in 2010 (long before the Superchargers), we left our car charging during the night in preparation for the trip home. In the morning we discovered a fault, with a "Service Required" warning on the VDS. Fortunately, JB Straubel was speaking at the event and had driven there in a Roadster. When we called him over to show him the problem, his response was, "Why do I come to these events?" Nevertheless, he diagnosed the problem with help by phone from HQ and determined that the line input fuses had probably blown due to a drop in the line voltage causing the current draw to increase as the controller was trying to maintain the power level. So, we opened the PEM and JB swapped the fuses with the ones from his car that was already charged. His was a 2.0 and ours 1.5, so the replacement fuse value was larger, but that was OK. We took the car in after we got home for the original fuse replacements to be installed. A subsequent firmware update a month or so later was supposed to improve the timing of the control circuit so this failure would not happen with a similar voltage drop.

IMG_2534.JPG

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Love that photo. A moment in Tesla history!

10. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

I hadn't heard that story. Thanks for sharing!

Is there anything I can do to prevent the fuses from blowing again?

11. MileHighMotoring

For starters I wouldn't try to run your waffle iron inside the car...

I'm glad it wasn't a catastrophic PEM failure! Not a cheap fix but I'm sure could have been much worse.

12. slcasner

slcasner Member

Well, unless your firmware is way out of date, then it seems that the change made in 2010 may not be sufficient for all cases. Since you were charging at 40A there should have been more headroom for current to bump up than when my car was charging at 70A at Harris Ranch. That means the failure on your car is a bit disconcerting. I wonder whether there was some glitch in the PEM causing the current draw to surge. Cosmic rays, anyone?

Do you have any idea whether there were any power anomalies at the time the failure occurred?

13. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Well, the voltage at my house is high. That's the only anomaly I can see. It typically hovers around 250V. On the night the fuses blew, the voltage hit 256V. I have Xcel running a 2 day log at the meter to see if they might need to turn it down, but it was only measuring 248V when he was out which is in spec. 240 +5% to -10% is 252 to 216V.