Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powertrain Problem Service Required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving from boulder to Denver this afternoon and received this error. Any suggestions?
upload_2019-7-14_21-8-1.jpeg

I agree.
I had the same: I have been getting messages for 3 years: motorfan problem.
Just ignored them, no problems.
I did the annual services.

A few months ago the messages changed to: powertrain problems: service required.
A red light in the dashboard that popped up and dissappeared.

The SC replaced the pem/motor fans. EUR 1,200.
Within 2 months motor fan problem messages again, and also a few powertrain problems service required messages.

I let the SC know but I am reluctant to bring my car there. I try to postpone it until February, when it is time for my annual service.

I was driving from boulder to Denver this afternoon and received this error. Any suggestions?View attachment 429703

Think I replied to you on Facebook as well.

1144 Error is a PEM Fan Problem.

If you havent had an anual service in a while, you might try that. They take the PEM off and clean everything for $600.00.

If you haven't replaced your PEM FAN, that would be my first guess. Costs about 1K at Houston SC where I had mine done.

2nd thing to look at is the PEM connector that is right below the PEM. There are a few threads discussing how to access it and look at it.

You can order the plug from Tesla or you can order yourself from Digikey or something similar

Molex PEM Connectors

Fan Plug
19418-0004 Automotive Connectors 4CKT RECPT 14-16AWG
0194200009 Automotive Connectors MX150L 14-16 AWG HPA FE SN

From Tesla its
1017064-00-A - CONN, CLIP.LCK, MISC, 004P, CBM, HSG $17.00

Its tight to replace it, but it CAN be done without removing the PEM,

If your good at electronics and crimping pins, you can easily do it yourself. Just takes a bit of patience.

Id Suggest you also look at the connector at the PEM and well, inspect for any corrosion. You can use a phone camera with video so inspect it.

Mine before I replaced the connector looked like. Lots of damage and corrosion on plug pin #1 on the connector which causes the 1144 error.

PEM - Plug.jpg

Bottom of the PEM Plug looks like

PEM - JACK.jpg

Some small corrosion on the mirror pin #1. I just used cleaner and replace just the PLUG on the fan harness.

PM me if you need more details...

That's the exact same message we're getting. Got the same message last summer only then it just stopped working on and off as well. Had to replace all the batteries which happened this spring. We only just insured the car for the summer drove it maybe twice and are getting the same error message. Sigh. Mobile service doesn't know what it is yet so we have to bring it to the shop in Vancouver. This is a very lightly driven car; not impressed with its reliability.

• Informative
Reactions: candersoh