Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Available Energy After 2 Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently worked with a neighbor who had his 2 PW system installed about 6 months before mine in April 2019. I showed him how to access the system status. Both of his PW's were showing capacity in the 13's. My 2 PW's are in the 10's as of today. I agree with you that there is no way my PW's had 13.5 at the start if someone with the same climate conditions is seeing no degradation. Unfortunately, I have no way to prove it.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news like your friend is, but my two PWs installed on 1/2/20 are still in the solid 13's with nominal_full_pack_energy: 26963

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I noticed earlier this month that my nominal_full_pack_energy increased by 690 wH after a firmware update (21.24.1). I had been steadily getting 13724 from my PW+ and 13630 from my PW2 (27354 total). Then 10 minutes later, after the system had restarted due to the firmware update, I get 14069 from the PW+ and 13973 from the PW2 (28042). I haven’t been monitoring this closely enough to know if this is normal behavior after just the restart, and unrelated to the firmware update. It seems like the system does a different calculation upon system start than it does while running.

I'm not saying that the reported numbers are being scaled; that presupposes some starting scale. I'm just saying that since it is called "nominal", I would expect a new PW to report "nominal_full_pack_energy" to be 14,000 not 13,500. And I would expect that a fully depleted Powerwall would report around 500 for "nominal_energy_remaining" (or maybe it's a bit more). [Someone should get the data.] That would be the 13.5 kWh usable advertised on the spec sheet.

In which case, the actionable level for the 70% warranty would be a "nominal_full_pack_energy" of 500 + 70% * 13,500 = 9,950.

Cheers, Wayne

I agree with how you are thinking it should be. Unfortunately looks like there is a footnote on the warranty document.
“1. Expressed as a % of 13.5 kWh rated capacity.“

After reading through this thread we checked our nominal full pack energy after having PTO end Oct. 2020, so not quite 1 year yet. 3PWs, one was swapped out in 3/2021 as the cover was damaged during install and guess with the shortage of PW units last year and first quarter this year took that long for low priority replacement (orig unit worked fine). Told we were getting a new one and not a refurb and appears to be the case. All 3 are PW2s, not PW2+. Readings are as follows: 40,554 (13,326, 13,401 and 13,827).

FWIW, my PW2 is 29 months old and 'total_pack_energy' shows as 10378 or 76.9%. If it started at 100% and the decline is linear, it would go below 70% in June next year - so barely 3 years.

My PW is installed outside on a north-facing wall (not ideal, since I'm in the southern hemisphere) because that was the only place it could be installed. But it has a wide awning above it that mostly keeps it in the shade.

FWIW, my PW2 is 29 months old and 'total_pack_energy' shows as 10378 or 76.9%. If it started at 100% and the decline is linear, it would go below 70% in June next year - so barely 3 years.

My PW is installed outside on a north-facing wall (not ideal, since I'm in the southern hemisphere) because that was the only place it could be installed. But it has a wide awning above it that mostly keeps it in the shade.
Sorry to hear that.

Would the good news be that you will get a new one relatively soon?

All the best,

BG

Just got "upgraded" to 21.35.0 last night and now "nominal_full_pack_energy":12028, up from 11901 in July. Possible it's the new firmware, possible it's because the weather is substantially cooler (and more battery friendly).

I just took a look at my PW2s which have been in use now for 9 months in Arizona (inside my hot garage). no degradation at all and I use them daily, deep discharges.
Strange that I have no degradation whatsoever. Nominal Energy Remaining AND nominal full pack for both PW2 units report identical at 13516 and 13523 for each PW2.

"nominal_energy_remaining":13516,"nominal_full_pack_energy":13516,

"nominal_energy_remaining":13523,"nominal_full_pack_energy":13523

2 Powerwalls installed (outside) April 2019. Nominal energy one-10457, two-10536, 20993 combined. The new firmware did not change those numbers at all. Tracking this via this method for only 4 months and it has gone down 0.3% over that time period. Tracked using an estimate based on discharge kWHrs over a longer period gives a similar number. Most of my loss occurred during the first year of operation. Mine cycle about 25% to 100% of capacity on a daily basis using the time based control and a PG&E EV rate schedule.

This thread is extremely interesting, thank you! I have 3x Powerwalls 2s (installed over different stages). And it looks like I have substantial battery degradation on the first two Powerwalls. Not 70% yet, but getting close.

Nominal_full_pack_energy:
(installed 9 July 2019)
10253 (installed 29 April 2020)
15180 (installed 25 September 2023)

For about 2/3 of their lives, they got discharged down to 10-20% almost nightly, to charge an EV (Nissan Leaf, now Model Y). During the day they're charged to 100% from solar. They are installed in a garage, but close to the east-facing garage door in a warm climate (East Coast, Australia). But max temperatures in the garage don't get above 95F (35C) in mid summer, and minumum temps of 40F (5C) at night in winter.

p.s. Logging into the Gateway's IP Address wasn't possible for me anymore, because Tesla has rolled out the 'Tesla Pros' app for installers (see Tesla Motors Club - No more direct customer access to PW ). It worked a few months ago, but not anymore.
So thanks to Matt-FL (Post#20 in thread above), I pasted https://<gateway-ip>/summary?mode=kiosk into a browser, and then https://<gateway-ip>/api/system_status worked :).

Mine Is down to 9895, installed the month before yours.

I can still log into the Gateway using the web interface.
Ok, good to know - a similar age and degradation. Thanks.

Interesting, I'm on v23.28.2. The last time I logged into the Gateway was end of Sep, and the web interface worked fine. And today I got this error below.

Attachments

• Web Interface Error.jpg
    Web Interface Error.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 33