Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 charging to 80% max?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed recently that it looks like my two Powerwall 2 setup is charging to 80% maximum, and discharging at a maximum rate of about 5 kW. I had seen something like this in the beginning, but with a 90% maximum charge instead, and then it started going to 100% and a full 10 kW afterward. Was wondering if anyone else has seen odd performance degradation from their units.

I noticed recently that it looks like my two Powerwall 2 setup is charging to 80% maximum, and discharging at a maximum rate of about 5 kW. I had seen something like this in the beginning, but with a 90% maximum charge instead, and then it started going to 100% and a full 10 kW afterward. Was wondering if anyone else has seen odd performance degradation from their units.

Check your Breaker for the Powerwalls, one may have tripped. I have a 2 Powerwall setup and this happened to me. You may have to turn off the breaker and turn it back on.

Question for you, if you are connected to the grid, what does your Powerwalls charge at? Currently, I notice that my Powerwalls charge at 1.65kw each for a total of 3.3kw when charging from the grid. I'm pretty sure the PWs should be able to charge at 5kw each. Tesla is currently looking into this for me. Could not get a straight answer.

Is it discharging to your house or to the grid?

To my house.

Check your Breaker for the Powerwalls, one may have tripped. I have a 2 Powerwall setup and this happened to me. You may have to turn off the breaker and turn it back on.

Question for you, if you are connected to the grid, what does your Powerwalls charge at? Currently, I notice that my Powerwalls charge at 1.65kw each for a total of 3.3kw when charging from the grid. I'm pretty sure the PWs should be able to charge at 5kw each. Tesla is currently looking into this for me. Could not get a straight answer.

I came back to follow up -- the breakers were indeed the problem. I found one battery breaker tripped. When resetting it, I accidentally kicked the other breaker off, and then when resetting that, I accidentally kicked the solar breaker off. The end result is a system that works now (charges to 100%, discharges to 0%, discharges to house/car at 10 kW) but gives me strange numbers about steady state house consumption when solar charging is on. Like, my house steady state consumption is about 0.5 kW, and before this monkey business, I'd get that always even with solar charging, but now I see it reporting 0.1-0.2 kW when running off solar. It's like some CT stuff needs calibration.

I did call Solarcity to troubleshoot and they did tell me about checking the breakers.

As for your question, I do in fact see 3.3 kW when charging from the grid, and that's probably 1.65 kW each. I assume there's some configured limit somewhere about how much it pulls off the grid. I don't see the 3.3 kW limitation when charging from solar panels.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
To my house.

I came back to follow up -- the breakers were indeed the problem. I found one battery breaker tripped. When resetting it, I accidentally kicked the other breaker off, and then when resetting that, I accidentally kicked the solar breaker off. The end result is a system that works now (charges to 100%, discharges to 0%, discharges to house/car at 10 kW) but gives me strange numbers about steady state house consumption when solar charging is on. Like, my house steady state consumption is about 0.5 kW, and before this monkey business, I'd get that always even with solar charging, but now I see it reporting 0.1-0.2 kW when running off solar. It's like some CT stuff needs calibration.

I did call Solarcity to troubleshoot and they did tell me about checking the breakers.

As for your question, I do in fact see 3.3 kW when charging from the grid, and that's probably 1.65 kW each. I assume there's some configured limit somewhere about how much it pulls off the grid. I don't see the 3.3 kW limitation when charging from solar panels.

I'm still waiting for Tesla to get back to me about the 3.3kw when charging from the grid. I actually turned one PW off to see if the rate dropped but that was not the case. One PW still charged at 3.3kw so it must be the Gateway limiting the charge rate.