Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Firmware: 1.9.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed I got updated to 1.9.0 today. The web UI looks like the smartphone app now, and it has a big red STOP button now. Not sure what the other changes are; I haven't tried running the wizard yet.

upload.png

I put myself back on-grid and went through the wizard. No TOU mode, but you can now configure multiple solar arrays and add a generator:

upload.png

I am not positive but I don't think the generator config was there before.
The generator config was just added...that is why they started piloting out the installs with generators. The PW now knows to shutdown once depleted (and let the generator kick in) will not restart automatically until it manually restarted (at least that is how the Tesla guy explained it to me today while installing).

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Wohoo. This means we are close to PowerwallOS 2.0 along with the iOS app updates to support Time of Use Load Shifting for us configured as Whole Home Backup (without solar that is). I'm flipping my breaker twice daily to manually do it. Over 400+ hours so far in the past month of manual flipping the breaker.

I need Time of Use Load Shifting

Reactions: Ulmo and dlieu
So say we all!

My wife and I have been doing the "breaker flip" every day for almost two months now. We're happy we haven't hit rain/snow season yet.

Call Tesla support line and make sure they know that you want Time of Use. They are keeping track of owners who call so they can prioritize it higher in their development queue. They are still estimating it to arrive with PowerwallOS 2.0 which they say right now should come out around Dec 31, if all goes well. It request both an iOS app upgrade and the PowerwallOS 2.0.

The good news it that PowerwallOS 1.9.0 arrived yesterday, so we're getting close. I'm hoping that they can still meet their Dec 31st date, but who really knows at this point.

Question: My Backup History shows 540 total backup hours to date (starting September 13th). How many hours do you show? My best has been 40 hours 46 minutes with around 30% remaining on Quantity 2 Powerwall 2.

Out of curiosity, why? I wish that button didn't exist in the web UI either. One accidental push and my house powers off.

I'm using the Powerwalls differently then the folks doing TOU optimization. I'm trying to maximize self consumption. During peak PV months I generate more than I can use excluding the few weeks I need AC. In order to avoid selling power back the utility at a fraction of what paid for it, I dump power into my model S.
During off peak solar when I don't have excess PV I prefer to force the car charging to the grid to avoid draining the batteries. I can shut down my Powerwalls using the power switches but remote would be faster and allow me to do everything from the smartphone app.

I'm using the Powerwalls differently then the folks doing TOU optimization. I'm trying to maximize self consumption. During peak PV months I generate more than I can use excluding the few weeks I need AC. In order to avoid selling power back the utility at a fraction of what paid for it, I dump power into my model S.
During off peak solar when I don't have excess PV I prefer to force the car charging to the grid to avoid draining the batteries. I can shut down my Powerwalls using the power switches but remote would be faster and allow me to do everything from the smartphone app.
Powerwall OS upgrade run just like the software updates on a Tesla vehicle. Not everyone gets the latest update.

For example, I'm still on 1.6.0, and I inquired when I would get 1.7.0 and they said that the system will push it out, but not everyone will get the latest 1.7.0, however they see a 1.9 coming soon, and eventually a 2.0.

They also said that since the gateway/powerwall need a reboot for the new PowerwallOS to take effect, it will not install when providing power to the house, only when it's idle.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Currently running 1.9.0 but there is an issue where the Reserve Setting in the App is not being passed to the PW2. Multiple reports coming in from Customers. Get ready for either a rollback or an incremental update from 1.9.0

I’m in the same boat.. I also noticed that my power gets routed differently.

Prior to the update
Self powered mode with reserve set to 100%
Solar would feed Home demand, any excess solar would charge the PWs. If solar generation was low the, the grid would charge the PWs @ 3.3kh till charge reached 100%

After the update, all my solar goes to the PWs and the grid powers the house....

Something is definitely wrong with this update....

I got 1.9.0, and my Powerwall 2 will no longer charge. Previously, it was in self powered mode, and would charge to 100% every day from my dollar, then discharge to 70% (my reserve threshold) in the evening. Now, it's been sitting at 70% for about three days, and nothing I do (e.g. change reserve, switch to Backup-only) will cause it to charge.

Appears to be a buggy update. Hopefully they'll fix it soon...

Yep - that's the symptoms - PW2 now totally ignores the App settings. They basically said if they couldn't issue a fix it in a reasonable time (1-2 days) they would downgrade the 1.9.0 installations giving priority to people who logged faults (as users who don't adjust the settings most likely wouldn't have noticed any issues).