Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Firmware: 1.9.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Powerwall OS upgrade run just like the software updates on a Tesla vehicle. Not everyone gets the latest update.

For example, I'm still on 1.6.0, and I inquired when I would get 1.7.0 and they said that the system will push it out, but not everyone will get the latest 1.7.0, however they see a 1.9 coming soon, and eventually a 2.0.

They also said that since the gateway/powerwall need a reboot for the new PowerwallOS to take effect, it will not install when providing power to the house, only when it's idle.
Last time, it happened around 3:30AM where I live, so that means it wouldn't be charging from sun. I wonder if I'll get it.

I’m in the same boat.. I also noticed that my power gets routed differently.

Prior to the update
Self powered mode with reserve set to 100%
Solar would feed Home demand, any excess solar would charge the PWs. If solar generation was low the, the grid would charge the PWs @ 3.3kh till charge reached 100%

After the update, all my solar goes to the PWs and the grid powers the house....

Something is definitely wrong with this update....
I'm on 1.6.0, and the grid never charges the PWs here. I provisioned for ... gosh, I forget; I posted earlier on TMC back when I remembered. I think I provisioned for self-consumption. I know I select "Self-Powered" in the app. When the battery is below app set Reserve %, it behaves as your "after the update" sentence: all solar to battery and grid to house.

Reactions: Bigtanuki
I'm on 1.9.1 and mine works the same. I have confirmed that I can change reserve levels and swap to backup only. The settings changes are still only passed once an hour. Mine update around 45 minutes after the hour. I suspect that the one hour clock is started by the commissioning wizard and will be different for everyone.

I'm on 1.9.1 and mine works the same. I have confirmed that I can change reserve levels and swap to backup only. The settings changes are still only passed once an hour. Mine update around 45 minutes after the hour. I suspect that the one hour clock is started by the commissioning wizard and will be different for everyone.

I'm a bit confused. Does PW have the ability to charge from the grid? If so, in what circumstances? I have read two different descriptions of the functionality.

From what I have seen it only charges from the grid if the battery SoC current percent is less than the Reserve percentage. If the unit is in Backup-only mode this sets the Reserve percent to 100% so the grid should be used to get to 100%.

If not in Backup-only mode, the Grid is used to get to the Reserve value (if needed) then only solar is used to maintain charge above the reserve. If above the Reserve, and the load exceeds solar, the battery is used up to to 5kW max then the grid also. If the battery percent falls to the Reserve then only solar and/or grid will supply power. The Solar steering favours the load in preference to charging the battery if at the Reserve percent.

Gee it would be nice if the Tesla Technical folks would contribute or publish expected behaviour. It would save a lot of confusion :)

(BTW: I'm still on v1.6.0 and this is what I've seen and think it is the way it should be).

Cheers,

Harry E.
===

Reactions: Ulmo
I've received three firmware updates in as many weeks;

If you purchase the PW with solar, it will never charge off the grid. If it did, it would not qualify for the tax credit.
Is he1957's description of the functionality correct then? I'm not sure I agree with your logic--if you're logic was correct, then the TOU arbitrage capabilities would be impossible.

That makes sense. Mine was about 30 minutes past the hour, and slowly slid back in time to 36 minutes past the hour. The data collection also goes silent during updates such as firmware updates which happen during this time after 3AM (3:3XAM). Reminds me of Stargate SG-1 Seasion 7 Episode 5 "Revisions".

Please note that Tesla's app to mothership to PowerWall update system is buggy: you can set the new settings in the app, and they don't always get sent to the PowerWall. I have no idea why they leave it like that; they ought to have the PowerWall keep open the best of UDP, TCP or whatever connection they can with the Mothership, and detect when it's not working, and do immediate buffered store and forward commands with local and end to end acknowledgements (or timeout resends with a relatively short timeout) through that system.

Is he1957's description of the functionality correct then? I'm not sure I agree with your logic--if you're logic was correct, then the TOU arbitrage capabilities would be impossible.
You can still arbitrage your usage by not consuming any power from the grid during Peak periods. However, you can't dump your whole PowerWall capacity into the grid during Peak Period.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
- I have called them at least a half dozen times since installation (and emailed even more) for various reasons. I manage to bring up load shifting pretty much every time, so I'm sure they're getting sick of hearing it.

- We have a total of 468 backup hours starting August 28th. Longest run time ended just this morning since I forgot to flip on the breaker last night! Run time was a bit over 15 hours down to 10% with near max average usage (arount 2.5kW/hr). We have 24/7 lighting right now due to a recent break-in, so that's not at all typical. We estimate run time in an outage with moderate usage (not using floodlights, microwaves, etc.) would be 24-30 hours (3 Powerwalls).

Call Tesla support line and make sure they know that you want Time of Use. They are keeping track of owners who call so they can prioritize it higher in their development queue.

Question: My Backup History shows 540 total backup hours to date (starting September 13th). How many hours do you show? My best has been 40 hours 46 minutes with around 30% remaining on Quantity 2 Powerwall 2.

I have 344 backup hours on mine since September 28. The longest is 129 hours, but it could have gone much longer, and if I sacrificed a few loads it could go forever. As long as the next hurricane doesn't remove the panels from my roof, I'm all set :)

I have 344 backup hours on mine since September 28. The longest is 129 hours, but it could have gone much longer, and if I sacrificed a few loads it could go forever. As long as the next hurricane doesn't remove the panels from my roof, I'm all set :)

Nice! We are 'unfortunately' in the middle of a forest, so solar panels won't make much sense unless we get another outbreak of bark beetle... or nomadic renegade lumberjacks :)

Nice! We are 'unfortunately' in the middle of a forest, so solar panels won't make much sense unless we get another outbreak of bark beetle... or nomadic renegade lumberjacks :)
We're not far from where you live, and tall pines plus a deciduous oak tree significantly limit our solar production. ("Thankfully", that oak tree has dropped its leaves for the winter.) Tesla/SolarCity actually "disqualified" us as solar customers because of shade. We went with a regional company that installed high-efficiency panels with a production guarantee. Although we produce less energy than we use, our electric bills have been close to zero so far, and we may see a ten to twelve year payback thanks to SCE's generous net metering and TOU. This isn't great, but it'll work out in the long run and we have the pleasure of producing much of our own clean energy.

While we intend to make good use of the TOU load shifting capability when we get our two Powerwalls, we're especially excited at the prospect of having backup power without having to depend on an external fuel supply. If in an extended outage we were to avoid charging our two EVs, we could get by on solely what the solar panels produce. This could be a real stretch around the winter solstice, but we'll increase the Powerwall reserve level during that period, and 27 kWh of capacity is nothing to laugh at. Ultimately, I think this type of approach will be popular in semi-rural areas like ours.

Reactions: Bigtanuki