Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Available Powerwall 2 For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, we have an award Powerwall 2 from Tesla for sale. The box states Powerwall 2, though it was through the referral program. E-mails said Founders Powerwall but we're off of what's been delivered. We are in Colorado and can arrange for a pickup to save on shipping.

Powerwall 2 - $6,500
Energy gateway - $1,100

Like other posts, this is the below communication from Tesla regarding these due to current situations:

"Thank you for being a Tesla ambassador and helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. You have earned a Tesla Founder Series Powerwall through our referral program. Tesla does not currently have enough installation operations in your area to install your equipment in a timely manner. We can ship the Powerwall unit and Gateway supporting hardware directly to your home at no additional cost."

Please PM if interested.

And these prices include installation which is transferable?
Im interested. I already have a powerwall and tesla solar but wanted another powerwall.
Not sure how this would work and I need it here in IL.

Also please confirm it is the Red founders powerwall or is it White?
Does not state in orig post or pics attatched.

Thanks

And these prices include installation which is transferable?
Im interested. I already have a powerwall and tesla solar but wanted another powerwall.
Not sure how this would work and I need it here in IL.

Also please confirm it is the Red founders powerwall or is it White?
Does not state in orig post or pics attatched.

Thanks
If you buy this I’d buy the gateway from you. He wants to sell them together. And if you already have one you don’t need another.

Reactions: JPELKA
It’s ranged for some posters. Mine said $1,000.00 and it would be transferred through Tesla. I’ll check to paper work for install to see what the breakdown was.

Edit: Install agreement showed install service and permits. Credit was taken from that subtotal.

Last edited:
N

No, did you have them do this for you?

Yes. When Tesla Energy does the install, they require a W-9 for tax purposes (1099-misc). For people getting them "just delivered" it looks like you've sidestepped this requirement. That said, you're still obligated to report the award income on your tax return, even if you don't get a 1099.

Reactions: JPUConn
Yes. When Tesla Energy does the install, they require a W-9 for tax purposes (1099-misc). For people getting them "just delivered" it looks like you've sidestepped this requirement. That said, you're still obligated to report the award income on your tax return, even if you don't get a 1099.
I heard it should fall to the reward recipient, in terms of taxes and such. Thanks for in a sense confirming it. Seems like these Powerwall rewards are worth around $8,600.00 each.

After looking at several other powerwall sale threads financially paying anymore than 3500-4000 makes no sense for the buyer as they will be issued a 1099 for the full $8600 gift value. I see that’s why none of them seem to sell. Most people just end up getting them installed and not dealing w the hassle as really they are only worth it to the actual winner since you’d still be paying 2500-3000 in taxes on it. Honestly at this point it’s not even worth paying 4000 for it plus shipping then being hit w a 1099 for 8600$.

correct me if I’m wrong here @HankLloydRight on this hypothesis. Maybe help us out what the market value actually is on these reward powerwalls. I don’t see any actual past sales or what fair market value is

Last edited:
After looking at several other powerwall sale threads financially paying anymore than 3500-4000 makes no sense for the buyer as they will be issued a 1099 for the full $8900 gift value. I see that’s why none of them seem to sell. Most people just end up getting them installed and not dealing w the hassle as really they are only worth it to the actual winner since you’d still be paying 2500-3000 in taxes on it. Honestly at this point it’s not even worth paying 4000 for it plus shipping then being hit w a 1099 for 8900$.

correct me if I’m wrong here @HankLloydRight on this hypothesis. Maybe help us out what the market value actually is on these reward powerwalls. I don’t see any actual past sales

You're not entirely wrong, but there are now two scenarios, let's call them the 'old' and 'new'. Under the old scenario, a PW2 award winner who was ineligiible to have their PW2 awards installed either because they were out of the Tesla Energy service area, or were renting their home, Tesla made an exception to allow them to get a credit to apply to a car, or to "transfer" the full PW2 award, including installation, to another person who does qualify.

Under the 'old' scenario, the buyer would then contract with Tesla Energy for the survey, engineering, permitting and installation. During the document signing process, the buyer would be required to fill out a W-9 so Tesla could send them 1099 on the value of the award. Under this scenario, the actual referral award winner would not get the 1099, the person installing the PW2 would. I've now helped two friends sell four PW2 awards under this scenario, and they are both in-process now. The buyers are on the hook for the taxes, if/when Tesla sends them a 1099, and the price they paid reflects that.

Under this 'new' scenario, Tesla gave up requiring that they do the survey, engineering and install, and are instead simply shipping the PW2 and gateway units to the award winners, without any W-9 requirement. The award winners are then free to sell them to other people who can hire their own installation team, who of course wouldn't have anything to do with the tax due on the prize. This is why I said that people who are now getting them shipped/delivered without submitting a W-9 are sidestepping the tax issue entirely.

@HankLloydRight But due to the fact the Tesla themselves give you $1000 credit towards the install included in the reward
would they in fact send a 1099 to the end purchaser since they intern are doing the install?

I could see that being bypassed if you were maybe to able to hire an outside company to install but then again you would also be loosing out on the $1000 install credit.

So whats fair market on this reward you have seen others selling for given the fact from what your stating its best to simply find an outside company to do the installation and simply bypassing Tesla all together and hoping there is no 1099
$3000? $3500?

I want to buy it from the OP however things are falling apart rapidly

Last edited:
@HankLloydRight But due to the fact the Tesla themselves give you $1000 credit towards the install included in the reward
would they in fact send a 1099 to the end purchaser since they intern are doing the install?

I could see that being bypassed if you were maybe to able to hire an outside company to install but then again you would also be loosing out on the $1000 install credit.

Well, we don't really know how Tesla is handling the $1000 install credit. Are they just sending people a check when their install from a 3rd party is complete? WIll the require a W-9 for the $1000 install credit? Will the resulting 1099 be just for the install credit or the entire package? Will Tesla even send out a 1099?

So whats fair market on this reward you have seen others selling for given the fact from what your stating its best to simply find an outside company to do the installation and simply bypassing Tesla all together and hoping there is no 1099
$3000? $3500?

It's simple. If there's no W-9 required, then there's no 1099 later. There's a risk on both the seller and buyer side, it's not a perfect transaction because of the unknowns. You'll have to weigh that risk and decide on a fair offer price.

@HankLloydRight Thanks for all your assistance on this forum and answering all these questions for future owners and buyers.
Sounds like a very complicated process and alot of unknowns/risks.

@Pandamoanium Im still a buyer if you want to shoot me a PM for a realistic price. Im willing to take the risk for the right price if your still in the mood to sell given all the latest info.

Reactions: jimbo69ny
Status
Not open for further replies.