Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Available Powerwall 2 For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not entirely wrong, but there are now two scenarios, let's call them the 'old' and 'new'. Under the old scenario, a PW2 award winner who was ineligiible to have their PW2 awards installed either because they were out of the Tesla Energy service area, or were renting their home, Tesla made an exception to allow them to get a credit to apply to a car, or to "transfer" the full PW2 award, including installation, to another person who does qualify.

Under the 'old' scenario, the buyer would then contract with Tesla Energy for the survey, engineering, permitting and installation. During the document signing process, the buyer would be required to fill out a W-9 so Tesla could send them 1099 on the value of the award. Under this scenario, the actual referral award winner would not get the 1099, the person installing the PW2 would. I've now helped two friends sell four PW2 awards under this scenario, and they are both in-process now. The buyers are on the hook for the taxes, if/when Tesla sends them a 1099, and the price they paid reflects that.

Under this 'new' scenario, Tesla gave up requiring that they do the survey, engineering and install, and are instead simply shipping the PW2 and gateway units to the award winners, without any W-9 requirement. The award winners are then free to sell them to other people who can hire their own installation team, who of course wouldn't have anything to do with the tax due on the prize. This is why I said that people who are now getting them shipped/delivered without submitting a W-9 are sidestepping the tax issue entirely.

I can confirm they’re not going the old way. I wanted the credit for the CT but was told they cannot do that in the US. Could be right or wrong but seems like that’s the case as of a couple months ago.

This new method to not need a W-9 or 1099 reminds me of the old school referral awards like the Model X wheels and tires which were worth quite a bit.

the install credit is transferable and I’m assuming it’s based on their terms. Which states it’s a credit if you install with Tesla directly. For certified or third party installers I couldn’t find the fine print.

With how they’re doing it now, by shipping the items, it seems like the only charge that could hit the buyer is the $1,000 install credit. Since they’ve essentially purchased the PW2 and gateway. The only, “reward” for them is the credit.

I purchased a couple powerwalls on this forum with excellent results. I started the purchase last October and the installation was completed in February of this year. Tesla’s installation cost was $3000 minus the $1000 credit, so $2000 out of pocket for a simple in garage installation. The company that do my solar wanted $5000 to do the installation, so it was a no brainer. I filed for the tax credit on 2019 taxes and have yet to see the dreaded 1099 for the “gift.” Overall it was a good deal for myself and the seller. I paid about $3650 per powerwall pre tax deduction and pre 1099 tax liability. With the installation costs, I am in for about $9200 for two nice powerwalls. Could not be happier! BTW, this was done the “old way” where the powerwalls were delivered by the installation team on install day- this is the best route as there is no shipping costs, no potential damage and no issues with warranty claims.

Reactions: ChawTime
I purchased a couple powerwalls on this forum with excellent results. I started the purchase last October and the installation was completed in February of this year. Tesla’s installation cost was $3000 minus the $1000 credit, so $2000 out of pocket for a simple in garage installation. The company that do my solar wanted $5000 to do the installation, so it was a no brainer. I filed for the tax credit on 2019 taxes and have yet to see the dreaded 1099 for the “gift.” Overall it was a good deal for myself and the seller. I paid about $3650 per powerwall pre tax deduction and pre 1099 tax liability. With the installation costs, I am in for about $9200 for two nice powerwalls. Could not be happier! BTW, this was done the “old way” where the powerwalls were delivered by the installation team on install day- this is the best route as there is no shipping costs, no potential damage and no issues with warranty claims.
Fair price $3650 per powerwall w $1000 install credit included. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: jimbo69ny
I can confirm they’re not going the old way. I wanted the credit for the CT but was told they cannot do that in the US. Could be right or wrong but seems like that’s the case as of a couple months ago.

This new method to not need a W-9 or 1099 reminds me of the old school referral awards like the Model X wheels and tires which were worth quite a bit.

the install credit is transferable and I’m assuming it’s based on their terms. Which states it’s a credit if you install with Tesla directly. For certified or third party installers I couldn’t find the fine print.

With how they’re doing it now, by shipping the items, it seems like the only charge that could hit the buyer is the $1,000 install credit. Since they’ve essentially purchased the PW2 and gateway. The only, “reward” for them is the credit.

I recently bought a referral PW2 from another forum member. At the time of contract signing with Tesla, they sent me a W-9 as well.

This was about a week ago.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
And how much did you pay? So your going be charged taxes via a 1099 on $8600?

The negotiated price between the seller and I is private, but I did manage to get Tesla to waive the ADDITIONAL charges (above the $1000 they include with the award) because we are pre-wired for a 4th, so I only have the cost I paid to the seller for the PW2 award.

The W-9 did not list a value for the PW2, Tesla will have to send that to us in a 1099-MISC at the end of the year. As of last I had heard, they have yet to 1099 anyone from 2019 awards that were installed.

Yeah for whatever reason people seem to think that you can’t call Tesla energy and order them for 4600/ea. (Try it. It works. 9 and counting)

Who did you talk to?? I've been waiting for months after putting in my reservation and when I finally got a callback, they wouldn't sell it to me for any price, and when I asked to speak to a manager they cancelled my order entirely and now I'm back to square one.
I need it within a month in order to move out of my current situation!

Status
Not open for further replies.