Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steve - the driving factor for me in getting the power wall was being able to continue to generate through the PV panels during an outage. You'll want to confirm with FPL that you can do this without a PW2 or battery equivalent. What you've mentioned is contrary to my understanding. What's the point of being autonomous, if you have to shut it down at the one time you really need it (storm event)??

Regarding the pool: get a variable speed/variable flow pump. It'll pay for itself in about a year in reduced electric costs. Check out www.energystar.gov
I'm looking into an 11.5 system and 2 powerwalls; I've had one rep tell me that I can run my AC very conservatively if the power goes out, and another say that there's no way that any number of powerwalls can run my fridge literally at all, much less a 4 or 1 ton AC. I do the math and see that I can use 50 kwh on a convervative day and that a panel will produce 40 and the batteries store 27, so it seems to me like I can at least run them some of the time. Have you or anybody actually run a central AC unit off of the batteries and/or solar alone?

I'm looking into an 11.5 system and 2 powerwalls; I've had one rep tell me that I can run my AC very conservatively if the power goes out, and another say that there's no way that any number of powerwalls can run my fridge literally at all, much less a 4 or 1 ton AC. I do the math and see that I can use 50 kwh on a convervative day and that a panel will produce 40 and the batteries store 27, so it seems to me like I can at least run them some of the time. Have you or anybody actually run a central AC unit off of the batteries and/or solar alone?

It's not the kWh that is the issue, it is "peak amperage draw" that is the issue with the AC units. Each PW can only output 30A peak (not sustained). A 4 ton AC compressor is going to be close to that, so I would suspect you can only run both ACs with two PWs, and that might take up the entire peak for your house if they both switch on at the same time. Some of this can be alleviated with "Soft Start" kits for the AC units.

Another consideration is to not do whole-house backup and just have selected circuits backed up.

I can run my entire house HVAC, fridge and all with a 4kW Magnum Energy 4448. I have a 2 ton AC unit but it's got a VFD so there's no starting current. I don't know why US HVACs don't have VFDs...

The PW2 has a 5kW steady draw and 7kW peak, so if you have a power hunger center A/C it's probably not realistic to user the PW to replace it. The way I look at it is: When the power goes out, a portable A/C should be used to keep the house as comfort as it could be, while powering all the essential stuffs like fridge, garage door, light. I read somewhere that you shouldn't draw below 20% of the PW2.

Reactions: LoL Rick
It's possible to retrofit an AC unit with a soft starter to reduce it's inrush current below 30 amps and not trip a single Powerwall.
Yes: for 2 or more Powerwalls. That is what Tesla's design plan has for my two AC units (4 ton & 3 ton). Total draw is typically 8.2 kW at the utility meter with both running. Additional nameplate info: minimum circuit amps 31.9 & 21.4; Max fuse 50A & 30A (matches local disconnect) (feeds into 70A breaker at service panel).

No: Tesla boiler plate answer says no large appliances with single Powerwall.

We have a Lennox XP25 series 3 ton heat pump and it draws a max of 3.3KW at startup. It is a has a seer 21.5 (energy efficiency rating). I am waiting for Tesla to install 2 powerwalls. In the mean time I tried shutting off my main and using my 5.5KW gas generator to see if it would run. The old 2 1/2 ton seer 10 a/c would almost stall my generator at an attempted startup, The new Lennox XP25 started without any strain at all from the generator. I am sure the 2 powerwalls will have no problem running the a/c and the rest of the house. All I have to do is turn off the on demand water heater and only use the solar one i had install at the same time as our 5.2KW solar electric system. Now the only problem is to get Tesla out here and getingt it installed and we should be all set for any power outage from FPL.

Thanks for listing the max amperage at startup. Did you measure this with a clamp on amp meter with the max/min feature? Just curious.

I missed mentioning my A/C units are 15 years old Carrier Comforts. I plan to replace them when the (one-time repair cost) x (age of units in years) > (cost of new A/C). I guess I would be a good test case as my equipment is old and basic. Just waiting on Tesla to schedule a PW install.

Reactions: NuShrike
The max startup power figure of 3.3kw for my unit was given to me over the phone from an engineer at Lennox. I wanted to be sure that my generator could run the unit before I purchased it so the sale rep for Tri-County Air called Lennox. I was on the line during the call.
Like I said before, It started with no trouble and in fact I was even able to run my solar inverter and produce energy at the same time I had the A/C running on the generator. The Lennox heat pump is extremely efficient and quiet inside and outside the home. Using a digital thermometer, I found that the temperature never varied more than .3 degrees in the home when in operation. I have had the unit for over 3 years with no problems.

PW2's can be submerged in up to 2 feet of water. They are in a sealed cased. Mine are mounted off the ground, and we have a pretty good roof overhang. I'm not concerned with them being outside. It was generally thought of as the best place by the 3 electricians who did that part of the installation. Plus, left more room in the garage.
Update--
After my installation in February, we had an unnecessary delay thanks to Pinellas County claiming that Tesla Energy was in violation of the county's contractor licensing requirements (which were unique within the state). County inspections were great (roof inspector said the panels were installed to a Cat 5 standard), but they wouldn't release the permits. Long story short: Tesla Energy had a conf call with the County on 3/15, at which time the county agreed with TE's interpretation of the state statute regarding licensing, and all Pinellas County permits which were on hold, were released.

Next step, Duke Energy. First Interconnection email claimed that the submission to Duke was "incomplete" (March 21). TE remedied immediately and we had confirmation of a completed interconnection application. 10 business days for Duke to conduct the field inspection , which they did today, March 28 (5th business day), and approved the installation. Now, 10-business days for the bi-directional meter installation.

One thing with this project, it takes a ton of time!

kc_moses, My first TESLA proposal was on 9/25. The delays are more on Pinellas County, than on Tesla/Solar City, as the County took forever to approve the plans (In December, they changed the required setback distance of the panels from the top of the roof line - for fire safety reasons - then removed that requirement, resulting in 3 re-draws of the plans). Once the plans were approved in January, and the installation was scheduled, Tesla hasn't missed a deadline.

To be fair, my rep told me it could take up to 6 months. He knew of the delay with the PW2 as a result of the extreme allocation of product to Puerto Rico after the hurricane - something I had and have no issue with. Those folks are having serious issues and need all of the humanitarian assistance they can get.

As your rep for a "realistic" date from site survey to utility approval. 3 months is pretty short. I'd plan on longer.

Final update on the installation: Today, April 4, Duke Energy installed the bi-directional meter and told me to "turn it on". I've notified Tesla Energy. The panels, rated for 16.9 kWh are currently generating at 13.9kW (some panels are facing west for strategic reasons to capture end of day sunlight during the summer - so I'm not sure I will ever see 16.9kW).

I called Duke interconnection yesterday to see if I could "schedule" the meter installation. They didn't have the field inspection in the system. Clearly, they fixed the issue as the installation was done prior to 1pm today.

I'm now just waiting to hear from TE for a "range extender" so the Gateway can talk to the inverters.
I will continue to update as we experience the joy of generating power from the sun.
What a great journey to be on!

Final update on the installation: Today, April 4, Duke Energy installed the bi-directional meter and told me to "turn it on". I've notified Tesla Energy. The panels, rated for 16.9 kWh are currently generating at 13.9kW (some panels are facing west for strategic reasons to capture end of day sunlight during the summer - so I'm not sure I will ever see 16.9kW).

I called Duke interconnection yesterday to see if I could "schedule" the meter installation. They didn't have the field inspection in the system. Clearly, they fixed the issue as the installation was done prior to 1pm today.

I'm now just waiting to hear from TE for a "range extender" so the Gateway can talk to the inverters.
I will continue to update as we experience the joy of generating power from the sun.
What a great journey to be on!

Karma, I am located in Bradenton, do you mind sharing your price for your panels and PW's installed. I have been receiving quotes from 3rd party installers, and the prices quoted for the PW2 installs seem outrages to me. 23k for 2 of them installed. Thanks.

Quick update concerning the Gateway:

Turns out that it was working just fine and no extender was needed. TE needed to have everything set up on their end. Now I'm just waiting for the Final Contractor's Affidavit so that I can file the Termination of Notice of Commencement (permitting all completed and closed).

We've been killing it with the solar generation for a couple of weeks, with multiple days of complete independence from the grid between the batteries and panels. Keeping the batteries set with a 25% reserve just in case of a power failure.

Need to find out from TE is there is any issue with the PW2 batteries charging to 100% each day, or if there is a way to charge to a lower level? Kind of like going with a "range-charge" on a daily basis, which is contrary to everything I read about charging the car(s).

Need to find out from TE is there is any issue with the PW2 batteries charging to 100% each day, or if there is a way to charge to a lower level? Kind of like going with a "range-charge" on a daily basis, which is contrary to everything I read about charging the car(s).
I don't worry about this. I'm sure they have a sufficient buffer at the top of the batteries so that it does not affect their life - certainly more of a buffer than 100% charge on Tesla cars have.

Arggg!!!! This is really frustrating. I called Tesla Powerwall department, they told me they don't have any available certified PW2 installer in South Florida. Which in fact, Urban Solar Group told me they are certified. Urban Solar Group told me Tesla has to issue the work order in order for them to start the process. But the Tesla employee I spoke with can't even issue a work order because he can't find Urban Solar in their system. Tesla basically told me if I don't want to wait, I should cancel my order, after 15 months since I put down my deposit!!!!!!

I don't know how Tesla could be so innovative but suck at running their business. I'm tempted to go just spend $1000 and get a gas generator for when the hurricane hit, and forget about PW2. How long are you guys willing to wait?