Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to sign a deal with SolarCity for a 10kW PV system with 3 Powerwalls. I am hopeful this will enable solar self-consumption as well as provide backup power for my whole home. I have not found any information on how the Powerwalls get connected. Are the outputs combined together, or will certain circuits have to be moved to each powerwall in sub-panels?

Also, I am concerned about possible noise from having three Powerwall units on an exterior bedroom wall. If I will be able to hear them at all indoors, then I will need to find a different installation location.

Anyone know where to dig up information? I'm not sure if PW2 installations have even begun yet. Thanks.

I'm happy to hear that SolarCity (now Tesla Energy) is actually signing contracts that include a Powerwall(s), but are they V1 or V2 Powerwalls?

Have they given you an estimated installation date yet?

Does the contract describing the system you are buying specify that the inverter is integrated into one of the Powerwalls (which would be the V2 model) and what the peak kW capacity of the inverter is?

I am not aware of any information being available about the Powerwall 2.0 beyond the very minimal amount that Tesla has disclosed to date on their website.

My Powerwall V1 is mounted in my garage. When I stand next to it I can hear very faint noises. I seriously doubt the noises would transmit through a wall with normal insulation.

Keep us posted.

They are V2 Powerwalls. When I inquired 6 months ago, Solarcity was only offering a white-label Powerwall and it was only available with the solar lease. Now they are selling them. I have not signed the contract yet, so it has not gone to engineering. I'm hoping to dig up some more info beforehand. The contract says 60-120 days to install, but I would not be surprised if it gets pushed out much further due to lack of Powerwall 2 availability. I did not reserve through Tesla, and I doubt I get to jump the line.

They are charging $1000 ea to install the Powerwalls, and they claim they qualify for the 30% tax credit if installed with solar.

The information I do have specs an off-grid inverter at an additional cost, which is curious ... there is absolutely no mention of Powerwall type, AC/DC. I am probably a month away from having that kind of information.

Thanks for the noise info. My home is 50 years old, 2x4 studs with brick veneer. The insulation is typical fiberglass batting, which is not in terrible shape but... 50 years is a long time. It is a very quiet home, other than the fridge and A/C compressor. An exterior brick wall is probably the most out of the way location to mount the gear. It'd be constantly shaded and nobody would ever have to look at it. I may go with the garage, but I hate to lose space that could be used instead for storage.

They are V2 Powerwalls. When I inquired 6 months ago, Solarcity was only offering a white-label Powerwall and it was only available with the solar lease. Now they are selling them.
Well that is good news!
They are charging $1000 ea to install the Powerwalls
And that is not! That price seems very high. $3,000 to "install" the 3 Powerwalls? You bolt them to a wall and run some conduit to string them together and then to the inverter.
The information I do have specs an off-grid inverter at an additional cost, which is curious ... there is absolutely no mention of Powerwall type, AC/DC.
And that is surprising. I was expecting that the Powerwall V2 could have an inverter integrated into it.
An exterior brick wall is probably the most out of the way location to mount the gear.
I would want to be sure that the bolts used to secure the Powerwall onto a brick wall went all the into the studs behind the brick facade.

I suspect the high installation cost is due to re-routing circuits for backup power purposes. Curiously, the installation price on Tesla's website "starts at $1,600"

This is another reason I'd really like to know how these things are being wired up. I'll likely sign the contract tomorrow and find out soon enough.

I'd personally be a bit skittish signing a contract without knowing the details. I have 4 PW2 confirmed via Tesla and thirsting for info, especially integration into an off grid environment. Having not found any off grid PW1 installed, there is a lack of info. Requiring an additional off grid inverter is not good news and makes me wonder about the built in inverter. Will your contract include any design info/drawings? Please keep us informed.

I have a friend working for one of our local installers and he just took me they are going to be Tesla certified installers but has no technical info at this point.

I suspect the high installation cost is due to re-routing circuits for backup power purposes. Curiously, the installation price on Tesla's website "starts at $1,600"
Yes, after I posted earlier I reviewed the Tesla webpage about the Powerwall and noticed that. That is confusing based on what SolarCity/Tesla has offered you.

Look forward to hearing more about your project!

The only thing concerning me about the contract is a forced arbitration clause. It just rubs me the wrong way. Otherwise, it can be canceled pretty much up to the moment the installation crew arrives without any penalties.

I will be delighted to share the engineering documents once I have them.