Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Install by ******* - Not happy!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I signed up for three Powerwall 2 with Tesla and they get ********* to do the installation.

I signed the agreement on 21/09 and didn't get an appointment for the install until 13/11. ******** cancelled that appointment because the installer had to finish another job and eventually it was rescheduled to 4/12. They couldn't finish the install on the day (because they wasted 2 hours working out where to put the batteries) and so had to come back on 11/12. They installed all the hardware but couldn't get the Gateway online. A Tesla field technician was brought in. He came today and replaced the computer in the Gateway and was able to commission it. It is up and in the app.... but...

It appears the installers did not wire it up correctly. The gateway only knows about the circuit it is backing up. It knows nothing about the solar, the AirCon (which is 3 phase), the Tesla charger (also 3 phase), stove, oven, etc.

I think the worst part is not knowing about the solar. When I go into the app, it shows the battery constantly discharging to the house at 0.9-1.2kW; the amount of power from the solar fluctuating as it is a partially cloudy day; the amount of power being used by the house is fluctuating with the solar.

For example, the sun came out and the solar was generating 7.7kW, the house showed it was using 8.8kW and 1.1kW was coming from the battery. A few minutes later, the sun was behind the clouds, solar now 1.5kW, house 2.4kW and battery supplying 0.9kW. I even isolated the solar and the house "usage" dropped to 1kW matching the battery.

I have no idea what's happening with the grid. I fear that more power will be flowing from the solar to the grid because of the power the battery is providing until it goes flat.

Note that I have blacked out the installers name in case it is not appropriate to name and shame.

I should add, the Tesla technician reported back to the installer and I'm waiting for them to schedule and appointment to rectify but I fear it may not happen before Christmas.

I signed up for three Powerwall 2 with Tesla and they get ********* to do the installation...
So to be clear, you ordered the PW2 direct from Tesla, and they arranged a third-party subcontractor to do the install? It would seem very odd if they would arrange someone who didn’t know what they were doing.

I ordered my PW2 through the independent installer who also put in my solar at the same time. I asked them how many PW2 installs they do a year, they said hundreds, so I figured they knew what they were doing. They also had their own installers on staff and don’t just use subbies. It’s a good question to ask of any installer.

I’ve had the inverter fail (2 weeks after install last year) and the Gateway fail (5 months ago). Neither was due to the installer, just bad luck. The inverter was replaced by the installer, no problems since, and the power meter in the Gateway was replaced by Tesla. I was hoping to get an upgrade to GW2 but no dice.

I signed up for three Powerwall 2 with Tesla and they get ********* to do the installation.

I signed the agreement on 21/09 and didn't get an appointment for the install until 13/11. ******** cancelled that appointment because the installer had to finish another job and eventually it was rescheduled to 4/12. They couldn't finish the install on the day (because they wasted 2 hours working out where to put the batteries) and so had to come back on 11/12. They installed all the hardware but couldn't get the Gateway online. A Tesla field technician was brought in. He came today and replaced the computer in the Gateway and was able to commission it. It is up and in the app.... but...

It appears the installers did not wire it up correctly. The gateway only knows about the circuit it is backing up. It knows nothing about the solar, the AirCon (which is 3 phase), the Tesla charger (also 3 phase), stove, oven, etc.

I think the worst part is not knowing about the solar. When I go into the app, it shows the battery constantly discharging to the house at 0.9-1.2kW; the amount of power from the solar fluctuating as it is a partially cloudy day; the amount of power being used by the house is fluctuating with the solar.

For example, the sun came out and the solar was generating 7.7kW, the house showed it was using 8.8kW and 1.1kW was coming from the battery. A few minutes later, the sun was behind the clouds, solar now 1.5kW, house 2.4kW and battery supplying 0.9kW. I even isolated the solar and the house "usage" dropped to 1kW matching the battery.

I have no idea what's happening with the grid. I fear that more power will be flowing from the solar to the grid because of the power the battery is providing until it goes flat.

Note that I have blacked out the installers name in case it is not appropriate to name and shame.

I should add, the Tesla technician reported back to the installer and I'm waiting for them to schedule and appointment to rectify but I fear it may not happen before Christmas.

If you have multiple batteries and 3 phase you can only do backup on one phase. 3 phase devices and the other two phases will not activate from the battery during a power failure. Thats a limitation of the product, not an installation or wiring problem.

My system was also doing strange readings exactly as you described. Tesla looked into it and advised that it was a problem with the internet connection. It fixed itself after I reset my wifi. Hasnt repeated since. Not saying you have the same issue, but it certainly sounds like it. You also must have a good wifi signal to the gateway, or a wired connection.

Sounds to me like they haven't installed the CT clamps correctly. Readings will be really weird if they aren't connected correctly (they need to be on the correct wire, orientated correctly and then configured correctly in the tesla installation app). I had this happen years ago when my PW2 was installed (I have three phase solar, so you need many CTs...). It should be a simple, quick fix for someone who knows what they are doing....

So to be clear, you ordered the PW2 direct from Tesla, and they arranged a third-party subcontractor to do the install? It would seem very odd if they would arrange someone who didn’t know what they were doing.
Correct. I ordered directly from Tesla expecting they would arrange someone that would know what they were doing. They have an installation contractor (who will remain nameless for the moment) who then brought in a subcontractor (also nameless for the moment) to do the actual install.

I’ve had the inverter fail (2 weeks after install last year) and the Gateway fail (5 months ago). Neither was due to the installer, just bad luck. The inverter was replaced by the installer, no problems since, and the power meter in the Gateway was replaced by Tesla. I was hoping to get an upgrade to GW2 but no dice.
My Gateway failed from day one which is why I had to et Telsa out. In hind sight it was probably fortuitous so they could see it was not installed correctly.

If you have multiple batteries and 3 phase you can only do backup on one phase. 3 phase devices and the other two phases will not activate from the battery during a power failure. Thats a limitation of the product, not an installation or wiring problem.
That's not the problem at all and I'm fully aware that only a small part of the house will be backed up during a power failure. In fact, that's the only part of the system that works - but is extremely limited as the batteries won't charge.

My system was also doing strange readings exactly as you described. Tesla looked into it and advised that it was a problem with the internet connection. It fixed itself after I reset my wifi. Hasnt repeated since. Not saying you have the same issue, but it certainly sounds like it. You also must have a good wifi signal to the gateway, or a wired connection.
It is a wired connection and I have NBN FTC which has been rock solid from day one.

Sounds to me like they haven't installed the CT clamps correctly. Readings will be really weird if they aren't connected correctly (they need to be on the correct wire, orientated correctly and then configured correctly in the tesla installation app). I had this happen years ago when my PW2 was installed (I have three phase solar, so you need many CTs...). It should be a simple, quick fix for someone who knows what they are doing....
That's pretty much what the Tesla technician said - well they haven't installed any CT clamps on the rest of the system.

Hope you get a good resolution soon, and can start enjoying the system.
I'm planning to get a similar system soon, so will be interested in how you go.
Without giving away the contractor, are you in Sydney? Any chance I would get them if I went with a PW2 system?

I am certainly not an expert but based on what the Tesla technician told me and what I'm seeing with the app, I think this is what is currently happening.

The house is 3 phase. There are 5 circuits on a single phase being backed up (3 power and 2 lights). Note that the installers couldn't tell me this and it was the Tesla technician that traced the wiring and was able to tell me. Fortunately, the 3 power circuits being backed up just happen to be all my comms, computers and entertainment gear. I think the fridge, too. We rarely have power outages but it is nice that this stuff will be backed up (once the system is fixed and actually charges the batteries).

The 5 circuits appear to draw between 0.4 and 1.2kW - based on what I'm seeing in the app. That sounds about right.

It appears the Gateway only knows about these 5 circuits and nothing else. It sort of knows about the solar and appears to be able to see how much it is generating but doesn't know to use the excess generation to charge the batteries.

Here are some screen shots of the app.

In the one below, the solar is generating 7.7kW and the 5 circuits are drawing 1.1kW and not the 8.8kW as suggested by the app. There is no battery charging occurring despite the excess power.

TeslaPWPFSolar7.7kW.jpg

Here's one from a little earlier when there was cloud cover:
TeslaPWPFSolar1.5kW.jpg

I isolated the solar:
TeslaPWPFNoSolar.jpg

With the battery isolated:
TeslaPWPFSolar0.4kW.jpg

TeslaPWPFSolar2.8kW.jpg

I'm leaving the battery isolated so it isn't completely drained. That way if we do have a power outage before the system is fixed, we might get an hour of power. Battery is currently sitting at around 10%.

I was thinking today that rather than leaving the batteries isolated so they don't completely discharge, I could increase Backup Reserve as I expect it won't discharge below that level.

I reconnected the batteries and increased the reserve to 10%. I was surprised to see it start charging. However, if the solar was generating less than 5kW, the app was suggesting that the battery was being charged from the grid.

TeslaPWPFGridToPW.jpg

I certainly hope that is a reporting error (because of the missing CT Clamps) and the battery really isn't being charged from the grid.

When the sun came out and solar was generating more than 5kW, charging was only from solar.

TeslaPWPFSolarToPW.jpg

Once the battery charge reached the Backup Reserve, charging stopped, even though there was (in reality) excess power.

TeslaPWPFStandby.jpg

I temporarily changed to Advanced TBC and then switched back to Self-powered. I also increased the Backup Reserve. After it thought about it for a while, it started reporting it was charging the battery at 15kW. I guess that is 3 x 5kW for the 3 x Powerwall 2.

TeslaPWPFGridToPW15kW.jpg

Once it got to the new Backup Reserve, it went into standby.

I increased Backup Reserve again and it went back to 5kW for the Powerwall.

Now it is back in standby mode as the charge equals the Backup Reserve.

I suspect that what I am seeing is part reporting errors and part function errors due to the missing CT Clamps.

I was thinking today that rather than leaving the batteries isolated so they don't completely discharge, I could increase Backup Reserve as I expect it won't discharge below that level.

I reconnected the batteries and increased the reserve to 10%. I was surprised to see it start charging. However, if the solar was generating less than 5kW, the app was suggesting that the battery was being charged from the grid.

TeslaPWPFGridToPW.jpg

I certainly hope that is a reporting error (because of the missing CT Clamps) and the battery really isn't being charged from the grid.

When the sun came out and solar was generating more than 5kW, charging was only from solar.

TeslaPWPFSolarToPW.jpg

Once the battery charge reached the Backup Reserve, charging stopped, even though there was (in reality) excess power.

TeslaPWPFStandby.jpg

I temporarily changed to Advanced TBC and then switched back to Self-powered. I also increased the Backup Reserve. After it thought about it for a while, it started reporting it was charging the battery at 15kW. I guess that is 3 x 5kW for the 3 x Powerwall 2.

TeslaPWPFGridToPW15kW.jpg

Once it got to the new Backup Reserve, it went into standby.

I increased Backup Reserve again and it went back to 5kW for the Powerwall.

Now it is back in standby mode as the charge equals the Backup Reserve.

I suspect that what I am seeing is part reporting errors and part function errors due to the missing CT Clamps.