Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turned off outside lights,T.Vs, tablets, Notebooks, etc

We had a mains transformer on the room bells from back in the days when they had servants ... . It had been there, silently doing its job, for 50 years ... soaking up significant power all that time too, until along I came with my Power Meter. Took me ages to find, buried in a cupboard, a device that we had no idea was there (since buying the house ...) and now replaced with something far more power-efficient :)

Those of you with completed Powerwalls installations, I see from the pictures posted that there is typically EMT conduit being run out the left-hand side of the unit. Could you tell me the distance (to the nearest 1/8") from the bottom of the Powerwall to the centerline of that EMT? It looks to be about 60% of the way up, so given the 44" unit height it should be in the neighborhood of 27"

Also, what size EMT is it? For reference, 1/2" EMT has an outer diameter of 0.71" ; 3/4" EMT has an OD of 0.92"; and 1" EMT has an OD of 1.16".

Thanks, Wayne

Those of you with completed Powerwalls installations, I see from the pictures posted that there is typically EMT conduit being run out the left-hand side of the unit. Could you tell me the distance (to the nearest 1/8") from the bottom of the Powerwall to the centerline of that EMT? It looks to be about 60% of the way up, so given the 44" unit height it should be in the neighborhood of 27"

Also, what size EMT is it? For reference, 1/2" EMT has an outer diameter of 0.71" ; 3/4" EMT has an OD of 0.92"; and 1" EMT has an OD of 1.16".

Thanks, Wayne

1" EMT 30 1/2" to the center from the ground.

2018-01-20 13.24.24.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and mongo

Thanks, Wayne

Both my batteries are exactly 30" from EMT centerline to bottom of the batteries. Both batteries are wall mounted.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and mongo
We had a mains transformer on the room bells from back in the days when they had servants ... . It had been there, silently doing its job, for 50 years ... soaking up significant power all that time too, until along I came with my Power Meter. Took me ages to find, buried in a cupboard, a device that we had no idea was there (since buying the house ...) and now replaced with something far more power-efficient :)
Wow Downton Abbey get's a Powerwall. Cool!

Why double-stacked on the ground instead of two mounted separately high up on the wall?

My "alley" looks similar to yours. I had decided two separate mounts high up on the wall (away from gardeners, any impossible flooding, etc), but I want to understand the reasoning for your style. Thanks.

I prefer double-stacked side by side on the ground. Less of a visual impact; minimizing the amount of exposed conduits. They could (in theory) be easily upgrade-able by stacking a third (or more) unit(s) next door.

Unfortunately, we live in a flood plain (1 foot max). Although the Powerwalls are rated NEMA rated Type 3R for outdoor use, they are not guaranteed to be waterproof.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
I prefer double-stacked side by side on the ground. Less of a visual impact; minimizing the amount of exposed conduits. They could (in theory) be easily upgrade-able by stacking a third (or more) unit(s) next door.

Unfortunately, we live in a flood plain (1 foot max). Although the Powerwalls are rated NEMA rated Type 3R for outdoor use, they are not guaranteed to be waterproof.
Yea that was the reason I put mine a couple feet off the ground. Probably not necessary. Who knows maybe a flood will provide better cooling :)

• Funny
I can’t find the dimensions of the PW Gateway box and determine if it can be mounted on an outside wall (rather than inside the garage). Would someone please post the dimensions and let me know if you have installed it outside. Thanks.
See Powerwall Support which has a link to the Backup Gateway specifications. It lists the dimensions as 29.1" x 14.9" x 5.1".

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: mongo and NuShrike
Why double-stacked on the ground instead of two mounted separately high up on the wall?

My "alley" looks similar to yours. I had decided two separate mounts high up on the wall (away from gardeners, any impossible flooding, etc), but I want to understand the reasoning for your style. Thanks.

They didn't give me that option. One of the things I liked about my first crew that did the main panel install (they did everything but the batteries and generation panel), they always verified things with me.

The one downside in my case for double high wall would be more sun exposure. The lower double floor stack is somewhat shaded.

arnold