Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall 2 Installed, yay...but got humming noise!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So good news, Tesla will ground mount the PW2 and also use anti-vibration buffers between the wall bracket and PW2.

Apparently when ground mounted the wall bracket is only there to stop the battery falling over (so not under load) and unlikely to then cause transfer of vibrations....along with the buffers I should be all okay....

Really impressed, again, with Tesla’s service.

So good news, Tesla will ground mount the PW2 and also use anti-vibration buffers between the wall bracket and PW2.

Apparently when ground mounted the wall bracket is only there to stop the battery falling over (so not under load) and unlikely to then cause transfer of vibrations....along with the buffers I should be all okay....

Glad to hear and thanks for posting back. We are awaiting scheduling for our PW/Solar system and the PWs will be installed in our garage on/against a shared wall with a bedroom so I've been following this thread. We don't have a "curb" on that wall (other side of garage yes) so we could mount on the floor or go with a wall mount. Our garage floor has a slight slope for any water drainage from the water heater and maybe its for code anyway so water doesn't travel into the house. I'm hoping that slight slope won't affect a floor mount because it sounds the best way to go.

Glad to hear and thanks for posting back. We are awaiting scheduling for our PW/Solar system and the PWs will be installed in our garage on/against a shared wall with a bedroom so I've been following this thread. We don't have a "curb" on that wall (other side of garage yes) so we could mount on the floor or go with a wall mount. Our garage floor has a slight slope for any water drainage from the water heater and maybe its for code anyway so water doesn't travel into the house. I'm hoping that slight slope won't affect a floor mount because it sounds the best way to go.

Is the internal wall from garage to bedroom a brick wall or just sheeting/timber frame? I’d assume the brick. If brick I don’t think you’d have an issue as you will have a cavity so unlikely to vibrate. But of course wall mount would be best and I don’t “think” a slight slope would be an issue, an inspection by the installer will determine this....

Is the internal wall from garage to bedroom a brick wall or just sheeting/timber frame? I’d assume the brick. If brick I don’t think you’d have an issue as you will have a cavity so unlikely to vibrate. But of course wall mount would be best and I don’t “think” a slight slope would be an issue, an inspection by the installer will determine this....

No it’s framing, plywood and drywall (no sound deadening or other insulation in the framing cavity) which is why this thread caught my attention even though we are in the U.S. We have photos of when the house was being built so know the construction. As it is, our water heater occupies a part of the recessed garage wall where the other side is the downstairs bedroom. We have some sediment buildup in the tank right now. As a result it clanks around the tank and is audible from the interior bedroom and adjoining bathroom. Really sucks and draining hasn’t eliminated it. Water heater near end of life anyway so biding our time but the PWs will be there for years to come.

134332BE-1A71-4B94-842B-F3A9F24BF2D5.jpeg 0F42F1AD-7D9A-4A6E-B303-196821B79795.jpeg

In our favor for floor mounting in this location is that the drywall is flush with the concrete “curb” so we believe we can just have the units sit on the ground and be strapped to the wall for earthquake purposes. Having 3 installed so thinking 2 will be stacked. That wall to the left of the water heater area is 90 inches long and it stands back from the garage door opening about 21 inches so we should have sufficient clearance to locate them there.

BTW here in the U.S., Calif. at least, there’s a new electric hybrid water heater they are promoting which I’ve read has people commenting on it making noise when the fan comes on. Hoping when we replace our current water heater we don’t have to buy one with the fan.

Last edited:
No it’s framing, plywood and drywall (no sound deadening or other insulation in the framing cavity) which is why this thread caught my attention even though we are in the U.S. We have photos of when the house was being built so know the construction. As it is, our water heater occupies a part of the recessed garage wall where the other side is the downstairs bedroom. We have some sediment buildup in the tank right now. As a result it clanks around the tank and is audible from the interior bedroom and adjoining bathroom. Really sucks and draining hasn’t eliminated it. Water heater near end of life anyway so biding our time but the PWs will be there for years to come.

View attachment 548885 View attachment 548884

In our favor for floor mounting in this location is that the drywall is flush with the concrete “curb” so we believe we can just have the units sit on the ground and be strapped to the wall for earthquake purposes. Having 3 installed so thinking 2 will be stacked. That wall to the left of the water heater area is 90 inches long and it stands back from the garage door opening about 21 inches so we should have sufficient clearance to locate them there.

BTW here in the U.S., Calif. at least, there’s a new electric hybrid water heater they are promoting which I’ve read has people commenting on it making noise when the fan comes on. Hoping when we replace our current water heater we don’t have to buy one with the fan.
The tesla wall bracket is a relatively simple V block design, and is a good way to stop powerwall falling over when floor mounting. If the powerwall is loose in the V bracket you will likely get rattling of metal on metal and therefore vibration, so some stick on thin sponge on one side of the V is a good way to stop that. Available at most hardware stores (in australia). Generally in the window and door seals section.

• Helpful
Reactions: SMAlset
If you want to test with the fan working, the easiest way is probably to have a low/medium state of charge and on your phone toggle it to Backup 100%. It'll start to pull power from the grid at >4kw normally and depending on your battery temp it will normally start the fan as well.

Did this end up happening, and did it solve the issue for you?

I about to do a Powerwall / Solar install, and the toughest part of it is figuring out where these PowerWalls (3) are going to go. The obvious options at the moment are wall mount situations on a wall that's all bedrooms and bathrooms.

Did this end up happening, and did it solve the issue for you?

I about to do a Powerwall / Solar install, and the toughest part of it is figuring out where these PowerWalls (3) are going to go. The obvious options at the moment are wall mount situations on a wall that's all bedrooms and bathrooms.

Handled professionally by both installer and Tesla...now ground mounted with rubbers mounts all over the shop....zero sound vibration/trasmission to inside now....everyone's now happy ;)