Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Solar City / Tesla completed the install of my Powerwalls a couple days ago. Install took about 6 hours and they also painted everything.

Attachments

• IMG_4137.JPG
    IMG_4137.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4139.JPG
    IMG_4139.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4142.JPG
    IMG_4142.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_4153.JPG
    IMG_4153.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4156.JPG
    IMG_4156.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 198
Do you have any other photos of the shipping container? And how hard was it to move/maneuver around?

The PWs were packaged in thick cardboard boxes with thick foam. The installers unloaded the PWs from their trucks with three people. They used a device called an "Escalera" <- not sure on the spelling.... It was all aluminum and looked like a hand truck with forks extending from the frame. The forks were attached to a hand crank to raise and lower the forks. The device does have a height limit though. My PW mounts were about 6in. short so they had to lift the PWs to click them to the mount. Mounting the PWs seemed to be the quick part. Placement of the Gateway (brain), sub panels and disconnects took time. The crew made sure I was ok with the placement of every single component needed.

I've been trying to get i formation but haven't really heard back. What is your usage situation for powerwalls. I'm stuck with an only 2.75 kw hour solar system, and now can't upgrade based on the new rules. But was looking for powerwall to couple with time of use rates to offset my energy usage to low priced times. Eigther that or go full self supply program to get more solar panels. Do your powerwalls have the ability to time charges and discharges to align with time of use rates?

Sean,

I have been asking around the same question, of several companies I have spoken to have told me the only way to add more panels is to go completely off the grid, then I can add as much panels as I can fit.

Currently my usage is greater then what I produce, I have been told... adding the powerwall will help balance that out and I shouldn't need to add more panels... I am not a expert on this subject....

I've been trying to get i formation but haven't really heard back. What is your usage situation for powerwalls. I'm stuck with an only 2.75 kw hour solar system, and now can't upgrade based on the new rules. But was looking for powerwall to couple with time of use rates to offset my energy usage to low priced times. Eigther that or go full self supply program to get more solar panels. Do your powerwalls have the ability to time charges and discharges to align with time of use rates?

Currently there is no option to set specific times to charge and discharge.

Solar will always supply the home demand first.

There are currently 2 modes, Self Powered and Backup

Backup mode is strictly that, backing up your whole home or circuits you select at time of installation.
Charging in backup mode will charge your PW to 100% using excess solar that the home is not using and power from the grid. Each PW can only charge at 5kwh max so any excess coming from solar will go back to the grid.

Self Powered mode allows you to set a reserve to the PW's percent of discharge. Solar will power the home demand first, if the home demand is above what solar can provide then PW will start to discharge to make up the demand. If the demand is too for Solar and PW then the grid will make up the rest.

Powerwall will discharge to the set reserve then enter "Standby"

Charging in Self Powered mode has a few scenarios

PW state of charge % lower than set reserve %
PW will be charged using solar (if available) and the grid to get to the reserve % as quickly as possible at a 5kwh max. When state of charge meets the set reserve, strictly excess solar will be used to charge till 100%. <- According to Tesla

PW state of charge % higher than set reserve %
PW will discharge if home demand is higher than solar production. If solar production is higher than the home demand, the excess solar will charge the PW till 100%.

So you are able to get the PW to charge and discharge at certain times but you need to play with the reserve to meet your needs. According to Tesla, an update will come out to allow time - of - use or TOU and load shifting to be accomplished, hopefully soon

One thing to note, the PW are capable of discharging at 5kwh continuous. Having your water heater and stove on at the same time will most likely exceed this. I have two PWs so this allows for 10kwh continuous which is better suited for whole home backup / off grid use.

Hope this answers some of the questions

• Informative
Reactions: Papafox
PlugNPlay85, my big question is this:
When the grid goes down, will backup mode allow you to continue using your PowerWall energy to power your house? Will you still be able to use solar panel energy to power your house and recharge your PowerWall? The issue I've been waiting to see solved is getting HECO happy enough with the disconnect from grid status that they will allow you to disconnect from the grid and operate as a separate system when the grid is down. That is the key issue I am waiting for. Do you have verification from Tesla that this feature has been implemented? Thanks!

Reactions: Johann Koeber
PlugNPlay85, my big question is this:
When the grid goes down, will backup mode allow you to continue using your PowerWall energy to power your house? Will you still be able to use solar panel energy to power your house and recharge your PowerWall? The issue I've been waiting to see solved is getting HECO happy enough with the disconnect from grid status that they will allow you to disconnect from the grid and operate as a separate system when the grid is down. That is the key issue I am waiting for. Do you have verification from Tesla that this feature has been implemented? Thanks!

PW will instantly switch to backup power once the grid goes down. The switch is so fast that you will probably not notice.

The added benefit is that your solar will still work and not shut down like a standard grid tied system. Your solar will continue to power your home, any excess solar will charge your PW. Obviously the PW will not charge and discharge at the same time.

Its been my experience that when we lose power, its at the beginning of evening or long before midnight. While I don't need power after midnight, it would be nice if there was 6 hours or power before midnight for normal use and reduced 5-6 hours for A/C the rest of the night.
Then, at daylight the PV will begin recharging the PW. But its been rare that power was out during the day. On our current grid connected systems, does not matter if its daylight or dark, we don't get the benefits of PV during the day when power goes out.

I'm looking once again at installing a Powerwall. I got in under HECO's program where I can sell solar panel energy back to HECO at retail rates, and I of course don't want to threaten my standing. HECO recently suggested that batteries could be installed on existing systems if they don't send power into the grid. I believe I could charge the battery in the midnight hours and then use the electricity in the PowerWall during the expensive evening hours. Anyone know enough to shed light on whether this idea is now possible? Thanks.

I'm looking once again at installing a Powerwall. I got in under HECO's program where I can sell solar panel energy back to HECO at retail rates, and I of course don't want to threaten my standing. HECO recently suggested that batteries could be installed on existing systems if they don't send power into the grid. I believe I could charge the battery in the midnight hours and then use the electricity in the PowerWall during the expensive evening hours. Anyone know enough to shed light on whether this idea is now possible? Thanks.
If you had Powerwalls that were not connected to a solar system, then it would be possible to take advantage of TOU billing and charge at night and use that power during the day. However, in the US, you currently can't charge Powerwalls from the grid if they are connected to a solar system. This is allowed in some foreign countries.

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid
The program with HECO I was looking at was NEM plus. Since I already have a NEM system and don't want to endanger its status, I was thinking that NEM plus might allow me to create a second system that included a Tesla PowerWall so that I could keep that second system running when the grid goes down. There would be no grid supply to the battery, it would only be powered by the panels. Has anyone tried NEM plus yet? Thx.

Papafox, I too am looking (waiting on my solar contractor to get back to me) for a way to take advantage of NEM plus. I am willing to install a parallel system with an auto or manual cutover to the Powerwall when needed. I am less interested in using the Powerwall to charge at night than I am to have the Powerwall at the ready for our next big blow that takes out the grid. If we create a separate/parallel system and add PV to it, we still qualify for state and fed tax credit. Maybe not on the energy storage side from the state, but yes on the fed side if its installed with new solar.