Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Installs in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plug and Play huh? DIY? I agree with it. I understand plug and play, I get it, I can do it, but its that reach from the ground to the roof on the second story that's the hard part. And of course they fail individually, but Enphase won't provide the replacement until they record it fails. So, my first time on my roof (at my age) would be just before the last post on TMC from me that you folks would see. I'd be that ass-fault on the asphalt in front of my home first time I tried to swap it out myself. Anyone remember that episode of Two and a half men where Alan falls off the roof because he would not wait for Charlie to get "the guy"? I am NOT 'the guy" any more. :) Go ahead you young whippersnappers and swap out your own microinverters, I envy ye, I just can't do it myself 'no mo". My giddy up as got up and gone.

Enphase micro inverters are truly plug n play. I also replaced a few of my M.I. on my own when my original solar installer went belly up! The M.I. connectors are one way only and can't be connected in a wrong configuration. The hardest part of the whole replacement process is bringing out the ladder.

Let me know of you need any assistance.

Happy to report that all inoperative microinverters were swapped successfully. Once you get the hang of it you can swap them out quickly. I baked a few days while working on the roof and don't care to repeat that experience. Instead, I later began the work in the cool of the evening and finished in the morning at sunrise. Thanks all for the offers of help!

Thank you for the thank you. :) Last week they finished my panel and inverter install. My new Solaredge Inverter has a built in EV charger. Na-na-na-na---- Naaa-Na. o_O
Have you tried the setting for charging the EV with excess solar production? My understanding of this mode is that consumption within the household is prioritized, and whatever is leftover will be directed to the EVSE, and export only happens for whatever is leftover (after the EVSE fully charges the vehicle battery).

I'm curious how the Tesla reacts to the constantly changing charge current published by the EVSE.

• Informative
Reactions: groovidad
Have you tried the setting for charging the EV with excess solar production? My understanding of this mode is that consumption within the household is prioritized, and whatever is leftover will be directed to the EVSE, and export only happens for whatever is leftover (after the EVSE fully charges the vehicle battery).

I'm curious how the Tesla reacts to the constantly changing charge current published by the EVSE.
HUH?! I don’t see that option on my app. I have used the PW to charge but , through “Self-Powered” mode. I’m jealous!:D

Interesting. I have the Solar Edge app but no car icon to configure such. Further, I have no configuration with it, at all. Strictly stats. I also have an Enlighten app and no control either. I’ve been using the Tesla power Wall function, associated with my car app, to tweak my system.

Solaredge 7600 w/ EV Charger option charges at 32 amps.
Solaredge.jpg

EV Charging cable with J1772 connector attaches to this black nubby looking connector on the bottom.

Is the primary benefit of the SolarEdge EVSE inverter to charge via the PV output? Thus, this would have no benefit for nighttime charging right? How is this different from how the Tesla PV+powerwall system works (as I understand it) where you can change the settings via the Tesla app to have the PV generation go towards household demand first before filling the PW/exporting?

Sorry, just trying to understand the merits of the Solar Edge vs. what Tesla Energy would provide.

The SolarEdge 'excess solar' option only provides a benefit if the vehicle is plugged in during solar production hours. It allows the vehicle to be charged without doing any grid import. A typical EVSE will have no knowledge of current solar production or other household consumption, so it would blindly allow the vehicle to charge at the same rate regardless of whether it causes power to be imported from the grid.

Another secondary benefit of the SolarEdge EVSE Inverter is that you can get level 2 charging without running a new circuit from your main breaker panel - so it could save on installation expense, especially if a circuit panel upgrade would have been required.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gmtom1
Thanks guys. I’m still waiting to hear back from them, after submitting an order through their website. I think my dilemma might be that I need a system size between 8 and 12 kW, so I’ll either be under or oversized with Tesla. Hopefully I’ll find out soon.
Did you ever hear back from a local installer? I just did the online for deposit 3.8kw system to add on to my existing system, but still waiting.
I'm curious what panels they are using here in Hawaii.