TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Powerwall 2 kwh draw when idle

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by ABMT, Apr 11, 2018.

1. ABMT

ABMT New Member

Does anyone know what the Powerwall 2.0 system energy draw is? I've ordered two Powerwalls for my off-grid cabin and I'm a little concerned about the drain all winter when there isn't much sun (I have a 5kW panel).

The only load all winter is the modem so I can check on the system.

My current Outback inverter draws about 3kWh a day.

Thanks in advance.

2. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

I have 2 Powerwalls, 3 Outback inverters and a Xantrex as part of our grid-tied system. A problem that has not been solved is the Powerwalls are discharging in apparent response to the Outback inverters "charging" or floating my really decrepit batteries that are connected to them. The "standby" loses are smaller but I haven't been able to see it yet because of this problem. Others have posted about that but I don't have the numbers at my finger tips.

3. strangely

strangely Member

I just installed a power monitoring channel on mine (from my Brultech Gem) and it appears to be be drawing about 4 to 5W in idle, however I don't know if that includes the Gateway... My guess is not, so I might have to see at some point with flipping all my breakers off to measure that.

4. BJReplay

BJReplay Member

Telsa say around 1kWh per day - that (I believe) is for the gateway controller, rather than the batteries). You'd only have one gateway, so I'd be thinking around 1kWh per day - a 40W load for the gateway controller seems about right.

I haven't measured it, though - the design of the gateway makes it difficult to measure it's consumption, and the gateway doesn't report on self consumption for the gateway.

The batteries flip between 0 and 10 watts when idle, so @strangely's 4-5W matches what the gateway itself reports.

• Informative x 1
  5. ABMT

ABMT New Member

Thanks everyone! That's exactly what I was looking for.

6. BJReplay

BJReplay Member

One more data point - in standby, the PW loses about 2% state of charge per 24 hours - 270Wh - so that's probably the battery / inverter control logic's daily load. That's obviously closer to 11W - but still less than our current equipment.