TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Powerwall 2 not charging after 86%

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by suncountry7, Mar 20, 2018.

1. suncountry7

suncountry7 New Member

Hi!

I have a Powerwall 2 for about one week now. My powerwall 2 stops charging when at 86% charged. All of my solar panel generation goes to the grid leaving the powerwall at 86% and not 100% fully charged. I have to turn the grid breaker off for it to send the solar panels output to the battery instead of the grid, and then it begins to charge again until 100%. I turn the grid breaker on when the battery is at 100%. It does it every day at 86% sometimes 87% but not higher than 87%. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Sounds like this issue that I just finished reading about:

Give Tesla a call.

• Helpful x 1
  3. suncountry7

suncountry7 New Member

Update!!

I just called Tesla customer service and they check my system. They found out that the voltage coming from my grid is to high (261Volts). PW2 is preventing itself from damage. This is preventing my PW2 to charge only to 86%. They told me to turn off the power from the grid. So for now I have to live with this until my power authority comes and fix it. Their priority is to energize the island to 100%. I live in Puerto Rico and we are struggling as of today from Hurricane Maria.

• Informative x 4
  4. chudiddy

chudiddy Member

My PW2 is not charging past 54%. I haven’t called TESLA yet but was curious if ur problem was solved. Also how do I cut power coming from the grid so I can manually get my PW charged to 100%? Tia

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.2.2

What mode do you have your Powerwalls set to?

6. chudiddy

chudiddy Member

Self powered with reserve setting at 20%. I’ve even tried to increase reserve % to 60 and it just won’t go past 54%.

7. miimura

miimura Active Member

I had this issue when my system was first installed. It turned out that the installer (3rd party, not Tesla) didn't turn on the breaker to one of the Powerwalls. So, one was at 100% and one was at 12% leading to an average reading of 56%. I noticed that the breaker was off and simply turned it on. The system resumed charging and went to 100% after a day or so in Backup mode. The installer told me to leave it in Backup mode until they were fully charged. At the beginning of March, that took nearly 3 days. I'm not saying yours has the same issue, but this can happen because Tesla doesn't expose information about individual Powerwall units in a multi-unit system.

8. chudiddy

chudiddy Member

Just got off the phone with Tesla and the rep had me cycle the PW2's and the breakers. After doing that, she noticed low voltage on the 1 PW2. She escalated the issue to Tier 2 and I have to wait for a phone call in the next 2-3 days. She thinks that maybe a firmware update could fix the issue, otherwise a tech will come out and inspect.

• Informative x 1
  9. chudiddy

chudiddy Member

Update 2/19/2019:

I had a tech come out and said that one of my PW2’s may need to be replaced which could take 3-4 months. He proceeded to check the wiring and discovered that one of the PW2’s wasn’t connected. It seems the original installer neglected to daisy chain the 2 PW’s together thus leaving only one to charge. He wired them correctly and all worked perfect. Both PW’s charged to 100% the following day. Glad it was a simple fix and a replacement wasn’t needed.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  10. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

who was your installer?

11. chudiddy

chudiddy Member

Tesla was the installer