Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2+ or wait for the 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My recent order/install timeline here in Florida:
  • 5/18 Order submitted, standard 8.16 kW panels and 2 Powerwalls
  • 5/31 Design complete, contacted about performing a remote notary for permit submission
  • 6/2 Payment details confirmed
  • 6/15 Tesla received my permits
  • 6/16 I was asking an advisor (not mine, one that was available who answered) some questions and learned that my job needed an on-site home assessment. They gave me the number to call to schedule it so I could do so proactively.
  • 6/22 On-site home assessment performed by a Tesla employee from my local Tesla Energy office
  • 6/23 Email notification that my install was scheduled for 6/29
  • 6/23 Scheduler called me to see if they could move up my install to the next day
  • 6/24 My system was installed. I learned on install day that I was getting a Powerwall+ and a Powerwall 2. Up until this point I was expecting a SolarEdge inverter and 2 Powerwall 2 units.
  • 6/25 Inspection scheduled. My county is still doing virtual inspections due to COVID.
  • 6/28 Notified that inspection passed
  • ….
  • Someday: PTO submitted
  • Some further day: PTO passed
The waiting for product update thing is always a struggle. For instance, I had 24 340W Hanwha panels installed last month. Tesla’s website was recently updated showing that they’re now using a 425W panel (speculated to be LG?).
Still hanwha 420w panels

sic
My recent order/install timeline here in Florida:
  • 5/18 Order submitted, standard 8.16 kW panels and 2 Powerwalls
  • 5/31 Design complete, contacted about performing a remote notary for permit submission
  • 6/2 Payment details confirmed
  • 6/15 Tesla received my permits
  • 6/16 I was asking an advisor (not mine, one that was available who answered) some questions and learned that my job needed an on-site home assessment. They gave me the number to call to schedule it so I could do so proactively.
  • 6/22 On-site home assessment performed by a Tesla employee from my local Tesla Energy office
  • 6/23 Email notification that my install was scheduled for 6/29
  • 6/23 Scheduler called me to see if they could move up my install to the next day
  • 6/24 My system was installed. I learned on install day that I was getting a Powerwall+ and a Powerwall 2. Up until this point I was expecting a SolarEdge inverter and 2 Powerwall 2 units.
  • 6/25 Inspection scheduled. My county is still doing virtual inspections due to COVID.
  • 6/28 Notified that inspection passed
  • ….
  • Someday: PTO submitted
  • Some further day: PTO passed
The waiting for product update thing is always a struggle. For instance, I had 24 340W Hanwha panels installed last month. Tesla’s website was recently updated showing that they’re now using a 425W panel (speculated to be LG?).
Those panels are just physically larger. Minimal increase in watts per sq/ft. My rough math of 18.16 (425 panel) vs 17.6 (340 panel). That slight increase is probably due to deceased frame area as overall footprint.

• Helpful
Reactions: kairojya
Thanks to everyone here giving me feedback!

I called Tesla Energy and they are currently in the process in redesigning my order with 3 Powerwalls. I may just go for it and not worry about Powerwall 3 for now. Especially given how the new Model S and X are now pushed back to Feb/Mar 2022. Same can be with the Powerwalls if more orders get backlogged. My account says 9-10 weeks though. So it seems my original eta of 10-12 weeks are on target so far

I'm in the same boat. Seems the last post was some time ago and here we are nearly in the spring of 2022 when PW3 was estimated to arrive.

I want to start a solar project and powerwall project but with PW3 potentially looming around the corner, i'm wondering if I should wait.

I'm in the same boat. Seems the last post was some time ago and here we are nearly in the spring of 2022 when PW3 was estimated to arrive.

I want to start a solar project and powerwall project but with PW3 potentially looming around the corner, i'm wondering if I should wait.

Since you're in California, you might want to take a few seconds to peek into that NEM 3.0 sticky thread. Then spend a few minutes contacting your selected solar installer and get movin'.

They just ramped back up with PW2 production. I doubt that we see PW3 this year.

I havent heard anything about PW3. I seriously doubt that is coming this year, and if I was in CA I would be doing everything I could to get installed before the new rates become the norm, if I was going to do it at all.

Since you're in California, you might want to take a few seconds to peek into that NEM 3.0 sticky thread. Then spend a few minutes contacting your selected solar installer and get movin'.

They just ramped back up with PW2 production. I doubt that we see PW3 this year.

I havent heard anything about PW3. I seriously doubt that is coming this year, and if I was in CA I would be doing everything I could to get installed before the new rates become the norm, if I was going to do it at all.

Thanks all! Sounds like I should get moving then!

Reactions: preilly44 and Vines