Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 pulling from the Grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dhcrees

Dec 29, 2022
UK
Been waiting a while but I finally got by power wall installed in the middle of the month. I've had the solar and gateway for a while, so it was a simple install as all the cables and everything were all ready there. As the wether isn't that great at the moment, I haven't been paying attention much, but a few sunny days made me realise something might be wrong.

On Boxing Day the battery got up to around 40% and between 12 and 15:00 every time I looked at the app it showed that nothing was coming from the grid as I'd expected. But when I logged onto my electric supplier I was expecting to see 0 for those hours, but It showed I was consuming from the grid. ??

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 19.05.20.png

As you can see my supplier is showing that between 12:00 and 15:00 I was consuming from the grid, even though the battery was at around 40% and discharging.

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 19.04.40.png

The Tesla App was showing no usage at that time from the grid also?

This morning I noticed that on the smart meeter screen it was showing I was consuming power from the grid even through surplus was going to the battery,

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 19.08.03.png
Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 19.08.53.png

so as a test I switched off the power wall and the display went to 0.

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 19.10.04.png
Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 19.10.34.png

It looks like the power wall is pulling power from the grid, even though all I have set in the app is Self Powered mode and Grid Charging is set to No.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening. I've noticed since the PW has been installed I've not seen any 0 periods with me electricity supplier. Does the battery need to settle down or get a fist full charge. Currently I've logged a case with Tesla, so hopefully they can shed some light.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 11.15.33.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 11.15.33.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 32
Talk to your installer. That is not normal.

There have been reports of UK meters reading reactive power when the residential tariff is only supposed to read real power. I don't know if my description is technically correctly describing the situation, but it's something along those lines.
Many thanks for the reply.