Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering the installation of 3 powerwalls to arbitrage my time of use rates. I have zero solar incentives in my area (small electric coop), but they do have PEV rates that are basically 3 cents from 10pm - 5am, 36 cents from 3pm - 6pm and 8 cents all other times. If I don't go with the variable rates I can get a flat rate of 11.6 cents.

Since this is NOT connected to solar I will not be taking the ITC. Net is I'm buying at 3 cents and mainly covering the peak period at 36 cents and also non-peak. With 3 powerwalls I should be able to functionally use them for brief power outages thus saving on the cost of a backup generator. Anyway, my question concerns cost.

The Tesla website quotes $6500 for a powerwall and approx $1200 for a backup gateway. I completely understand that there are additional charges for installation, permitting, sales tax, freight, etc. However, this is what a local installer quoted:

First Powerwall $12,500
Second Powerwall $9,500
Third Powerwall $9,500

He said this includes freight, sales tax, installation, permitting, "goodie" bag of parts, hardware to couple together 3 units, 4 electricians to install it, etc. He also said he is making very little on this since he gets NO discount on anything from Tesla. I don't have a problem with anyone making a profit, but seems high to me. This is not connected to solar, so no solar inverter needed and the installation can't be any simpler You basically have three PWs and a gateway inserted between my meter and panel. The PWs will be installed within a few feet of my main panel and the meter is a few feet away from the panel on the outside wall. Installation costs should not be much more for three PWs vs. one PW.

Thoughts?

I'm considering the installation of 3 powerwalls to arbitrage my time of use rates. I have zero solar incentives in my area (small electric coop), but they do have PEV rates that are basically 3 cents from 10pm - 5am, 36 cents from 3pm - 6pm and 8 cents all other times. If I don't go with the variable rates I can get a flat rate of 11.6 cents.

Since this is NOT connected to solar I will not be taking the ITC. Net is I'm buying at 3 cents and mainly covering the peak period at 36 cents and also non-peak. With 3 powerwalls I should be able to functionally use them for brief power outages thus saving on the cost of a backup generator. Anyway, my question concerns cost.

The Tesla website quotes $6500 for a powerwall and approx $1200 for a backup gateway. I completely understand that there are additional charges for installation, permitting, sales tax, freight, etc. However, this is what a local installer quoted:

First Powerwall $12,500
Second Powerwall $9,500
Third Powerwall $9,500

He said this includes freight, sales tax, installation, permitting, "goodie" bag of parts, hardware to couple together 3 units, 4 electricians to install it, etc. He also said he is making very little on this since he gets NO discount on anything from Tesla. I don't have a problem with anyone making a profit, but seems high to me. This is not connected to solar, so no solar inverter needed and the installation can't be any simpler You basically have three PWs and a gateway inserted between my meter and panel. The PWs will be installed within a few feet of my main panel and the meter is a few feet away from the panel on the outside wall. Installation costs should not be much more for three PWs vs. one PW.

Thoughts?

Seem like very low rates in general. So why bother as there the ROI would take forever.

Seem like very low rates in general. So why bother as there the ROI would take forever.
Agree!

That 36 cent 3-6 rate is nasty! That's turning air conditioner off rates. And if that's what yo are trying to offset, then that's what you've got to size your installation for.

I wold definitely suggest getting your real time of use numbers and see what the TOU will do to your cost and then if the Powerwall would ever pay for itself.