Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, that math does look bleak. I signed in September 2017, so am behind you in line. Tesla also told me that they are starting with folks in March/April for step 3. I did not interpret that as me being out of the running for Step 3, but it might.

My system is already installed so I have 12 months to apply. Hopefully step 4 will open in that time frame.

I wonder how Tesla will handle the different utilities opening at different times? SCE opens Monday, but I can't imagine they will fill up their statewide queue just with SCE orders.
This priority list is as interesting as Model 3 reservations. I am a homeowner developer that signed a contract in August 2017. Back in March 2018, Tesla indicated that I might qualify for step 3 if I decide to not represent myself as the developer. I feel that I am not prioritized because I already have solar install (poorly optioned low-profit configuration). I have been quite patient and have 7 months left before my Step 2 reservation expires. Since I feel I am not guaranteed 100% to get the promised funds (say PG&E fails my project), I feel like I should press Tesla to install sooner than later. Perchance I need to squeeze myself into Step 3 with Tesla since my "creation date" may keep me in Step 3 if my Step 2 homeowner developer ICF funding goes awry.

I feel that I am not prioritized because I already have solar install (poorly optioned low-profit configuration).

Well that feeling is well justified. From the Q1 quarterly update letter: "We continue to prioritize Powerwall deliveries when they are sold together with our retrofit solar panels, and this should have a positive impact on our solar deployments in upcoming quarters."

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Well that feeling is well justified. From the Q1 quarterly update letter: "We continue to prioritize Powerwall deliveries when they are sold together with our retrofit solar panels, and this should have a positive impact on our solar deployments in upcoming quarters."
Precisely! What makes it worse is that I am contracted to pay $5500 vs. the current $5900. To heap additional coals, "quarters" equals 6 months, I should file for a SGIP extension now since it'll take SGIP a few months to draft up such a non-existing form. Maybe add 1kW of additional solar for no reason.

Last edited:
This priority list is as interesting as Model 3 reservations. I am a homeowner developer that signed a contract in August 2017. Back in March 2018, Tesla indicated that I might qualify for step 3 if I decide to not represent myself as the developer. I feel that I am not prioritized because I already have solar install (poorly optioned low-profit configuration). I have been quite patient and have 7 months left before my Step 2 reservation expires. Since I feel I am not guaranteed 100% to get the promised funds (say PG&E fails my project), I feel like I should press Tesla to install sooner than later. Perchance I need to squeeze myself into Step 3 with Tesla since my "creation date" may keep me in Step 3 if my Step 2 homeowner developer ICF funding goes awry.

Interesting. I wasn’t aware that they had a priority list for SGIP based on what you were buying from them vs just when you signed.

I would personally love for that to be true since I have already ponied up the cash to have my system (solar plus 2PW) installed, but Tesla has never sold it to me that way. I always assumed the SGIP was first come first served with them, and the fact that I chose to proceed with my install was mostly irrelevant. They were still advertising Step 3 when I signed in September.

Doing the math, there is only so many rebates that can be grated to Tesla under the 20% developer cap.

Step 3 = $2,128,329.26 / $4,060.00 = 524 PW
Step 4 = $2,115,309.91 / $3,480.00 = 607 PW
Step 5 = $1,152,597.75 / $2,900.00 = 397 PW

Taking a look at the day 1 Step 3 Tesla submittals for SCE, it looks like they put in 100 reservations so far. 68 single PW and 32 dual PW systems for a total of 132 powerwalls. It looks like they have only submitted 2 under the Center for Sustainable Energy area, both dual systems bringing the total to 136 PWs. They are currently at $523,740 towards the statewide developer cap.

SGIP | Resources then choose the real-time public report for the excel file.

Will be interesting to see if they have more to submit under SCE or if the rest are awaiting PG&E to open.

Nice!

05-09-2018

On May 14, 2018, the Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) will open Step 3 for the following territory
and budget category:

Pacific Gas & Electric:
• Energy Storage General Budget
o Small Residential Energy Storage

The Developer Cap for Step 3 Small Residential Energy Storage was set on December 28, 2017. Currently
available budget and status of the Developer Cap can be found at
https://www.selfgenca.com/home/program_metrics/ . Please direct any questions to your respective SGIP PA.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
It looks like Tesla is continuing to submit Step 3 SCE applications, just at a slower rate. They are up to 113 reservations for SCE now, for a total of 148 powerwalls for SCE. I did call them today to ask about my status now that Step 3 is open, but they said they had no insight into the wait list. :rolleyes:

I just need to keep watching the stats I guess in hopes that my zip code shows up. Will be interesting next Monday when the PG&E floodgates open.

I suppose we could try to keep an informal track on where they might be on the list as people get their SGIP reservations. Here is my data:

Contract Signed: 9/22/2017, SGIP Reservation Status: Waitlist

Looks like the first big PG&E Step 3 reservation batch has been submitted.

Tesla is up to 257 reservations in Step 3, for a total of 351 powerwalls. My ZIP still hasn't shown up so they haven't made it to September contracts as of yet. Anyone get notice that they made it into Step 3 (or found yourself on the real-time report)?

Tesla only has 174 powerwalls left for Step 3 as of 5/15/2018

Step 3 5-15.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
Looks like Tesla is steadily chipping away at their Step 3 backlog. Another 25 reservations (35 powerwalls) showing up on the site today. I figure they will be done with their allocation to Step 3 in a week or so, then it will be another waiting game until Step 4 opens.

Looks like Tesla is steadily chipping away at their Step 3 backlog. Another 25 reservations (35 powerwalls) showing up on the site today. I figure they will be done with their allocation to Step 3 in a week or so, then it will be another waiting game until Step 4 opens.
Just got confirmation that my SGIP application conditionally approved (i.e. reservation confirmed) for Step 3. My original purchase agreement was registered as May 2017. Am hoping that I will get the funds sometime before end of this year.

• Informative
Reactions: Kren and Az_Rael
Just heard from Tesla Energy the following info regarding Step 3 submissions:

I also wanted to provide an update as requested for the SGIP Rebate: per our Incentives Team, SCE customers with a date created after 08/23/2017 are not likely to be submitted into this phase – phase 3 (as of 05/18).

So looks like I will be in Step 4 assuming it opens before April 2019 when my 12 month clock runs out.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: abasile and Kren
A guy named Sean feeney e-mailed me that swell energy from Southern California can still apply for 3,900$ for a SGIP for one powerwall, before it runs out, I would apply with them but that company charges about that much over the quoted price Tesla/ SolarCity has given me! What do you think SoundDaTrumpet?

but that company charges about that much over the quoted price Tesla/ SolarCity has given me

So, you just end up giving the rebate to Swell in that case? I would only do that if you needed an install done faster than Tesla can accommodate. Which Swell may very well be able to do based on my experience with Tesla Energy.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
...swell energy from Southern California can still apply for 3,900$ for a SGIP for one powerwall, before it runs out, I would apply with them but that company charges about that much over the quoted price Tesla/ SolarCity has given me! What do you think SoundDaTrumpet?
Swell should be able assuredly get you the ~$3900, and the out of pocket is nearly guaranteed in the contract. The claim to qualify the full 30% ITC is clouded depending how one does their taxes. (In my case I'm planning to claim the SGIP as income since my tax bracket is under 30%.) Agree with what Az_Rael said. Swell may partnering up with a subcontractor in Northern California who is also a SGIP developer. The SGIP portion is valued at $500 of paperwork labor for them. Since I was a novice, pro vs novice is 3:1, I at least spent $1500 worth of sweat minimum applying on my own, which is what I did.

A guy named Sean feeney e-mailed me that swell energy from Southern California can still apply for 3,900$ for a SGIP for one powerwall, before it runs out, I would apply with them but that company charges about that much over the quoted price Tesla/ SolarCity has given me! What do you think SoundDaTrumpet?
I got that email too, but no chance I'm going back to them. I'm luckily locked into step 2 somewhere else.

Just a heads up, the SGIP website has announced the Quarterly workshop that can be attended in person or remotely.
The Program Administrators (PAs) of the Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) will be hosting the Quarterly Workshop on June 22nd, 2018. We invite you to attend and participate in this quarterly discussion.

DATE: Friday, June 22nd, 2018
TIME: 9:00am – 1:00pm
LOCATION: PG&E’s Pacific Energy Center at 851 Howard St., San Francisco

Also, as of 06/18/2018, Tesla is $1.7 M of their $2.1 M allocation for SGIP Step 3.
Capture Tesla.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
Someone asked me about my experience trying to be my own developer here in PG&E territory in Step 2. So here's a brief recap:

I ordered 1 Powerwall on July 10, 2017, so I missed participating with Tesla in SGIP Step 1 or Step 2. After some time waiting (in vain) for SGIP Step 3 to open, I confirmed my order on September 6. I subsequently changed my Tesla order to 2 Powerwalls, signing a new contract on February 5, 2018.

Since as of October SGIP Step 3 hadn't open in PG&E land (and still hasn't!) I started looking into being my own developer. I submitted my Developer Application on October 26, but I didn't get my developer key until January 24. Then I submitted my SGIP application February 6, after I got the updated contract from Tesla.

PG&E cancelled my application on February 21, claiming that when Tesla is the installer on a project, they are also the developer. The basis for this seems to have been what Tesla told them, and they did not seem to look very closely at the supporting materials I submitted. Once I got PG&E to look at the supporting materials, they agreed that I handling everal of the development activities Tesla said they normally do, and my application was reinstated on March 6. It is now in RRF Technical Review (what is the next status change I should expect?)

A few take-away points if you are interested in pursuing this yourself in PG&E territory:

1) Rules for the SGIP are set by the CPUC but carried out by the several utilities. The Program Administrators try to coordinate their implementation of the program, but there will still be some variation across utilities.

2) The developer definition was revised for Steps 3 and beyond, although I was able to qualify under the original Step 1 and Step 2 definition. The idea that the phrase "corporate entity" in the original definition rules out individuals (homeowners, sole proprietors, or partnerships) seems to have been dropped in light of the CPUC's subsequent guidance. Please also note that the "exclusive list of a project’s development activities" in the SGIP Handbook applies to both the original and revised definitions of developer: you can see by looking at the definition of Developer in the appendix that the list is not part of the definition.

3) PG&E seems to be operating under the presumption that when Tesla is the installer on a project, they will be the developer, but this is rebuttable. It probably requires taking on some duties that Tesla normally handles. The activities I handled, in order of increasing difficulty in my opinion:

A) Apply for your own interconnection agreement with PG&E via egi-pge.com. In case anyone is interested, I have some pointers from PG&E on how to fill out their online forms for the case of adding batteries to an existing NEM 1.0 solar installation. Note that while PG&E may try to bill you an interconnection fee for the application, there is no fee for changes to NEM 1.0, unless you are adding enough additional solar panels to no longer qualify for NEM 1.0. So in that case you will need to get PG&E to withdraw the invoice to get your interconnection application to proceed.

B) Submit your own SGIP application. A lot has been said about this already in this thread. I did elect to skip the Proposed Monitoring Plan, as while I have solar I am electing not to seek the ITC and not to agree to charge the Powerwalls only from my solar.

C) Design the installation yourself. Principally this would mean coming up with a one-line diagram showing all your panels and feeder sizes, where the Backup Gateway will be connected, and where the Powerwalls will be connected. Some attention to the physical details of the installation should be paid. Tesla Engineering will want to do their own design, but you can do your own design and try to point Tesla in a certain direction. Ultimately you need a design that Tesla is willing to install.

D) Do some of the installation work yourself, with a permit from the building department. In California homeowners are allowed to do this. I went ahead and installed 3 new electrical panels, dividing my circuits between a future backed up panel (critical loads) and a non-backuped panel (noncritical loads). I also put in separate small panels for terminating my AC solar circuit and for connecting the batteries. Per the SGIP, you need a licensed contractor to install the power storage system itself, e.g. Tesla.

Cheers, Wayne
Is there some way I can contact you?