Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I responded with an email to the PG&E SGIP PA and his deputy, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Edit: if this is a change of procedure based on an agreement between Tesla and the SGIP, then informing me via a "pending cancellation" notice isn't a nice way to do it. Nor is the message they sent very clear on that.

Cheers, Wayne
Exactly! It's like they changed the terms of the contract midstream. I hope it works out for you. I know you put a lot of work into this.

Last edited:
Whom did you contact at Tesla and PG&E?

Thanks, Wayne
I contacted the Tesla advisor assigned to me who in turn contacted the interconnect department at Tesla on my behalf. My advisor had me write a reply to the PG&E notice with specific wording that included the name of the interconnect representative handling my project. Tesla in unison will write a similar letter to PG&E stating that I have agreed to the developer swap.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
We created our Powerwall reservation in August 2017 and Tesla installed our two Powerwalls in early March 2018. We were told by a Tesla rep in October 2018 when signing our contract that they would apply to SGIP in Step 3 on our behalf, but a different Tesla rep told me months later that we'd most likely be in Step 4 or Step 5.

We see on SGIP | that Step 4 "small residential" is set to open on October 3 for SCE customers. So I called Tesla Energy customer care to ask where we stand relative to Tesla's internal queue (after a very long hold). The rep responded that Tesla's SGIP team would contact me when ready to apply on our behalf, that it's actually up to the utility company and that it's essentially a lottery system, which has a grain of truth but mostly seemed like a way of blowing me off. I then mentioned that I understand there's a developer cap and that it's actually up to Tesla to submit SGIP applications (actually RRFs) before the utility company comes into play, and that we have only another five months before passing the 12 month mark from our install (at which time it's too late to apply). At that, she said "thank you for your time" and hung up on me. :mad:

Has anyone with similar reservation/install dates received any status regarding SGIP?

We created our Powerwall reservation in August 2017 and Tesla installed our two Powerwalls in early March 2018. We were told by a Tesla rep in October 2018 when signing our contract that they would apply to SGIP in Step 3 on our behalf, but a different Tesla rep told me months later that we'd most likely be in Step 4 or Step 5.

We see on SGIP | that Step 4 "small residential" is set to open on October 3 for SCE customers. So I called Tesla Energy customer care to ask where we stand relative to Tesla's internal queue (after a very long hold). The rep responded that Tesla's SGIP team would contact me when ready to apply on our behalf, that it's actually up to the utility company and that it's essentially a lottery system, which has a grain of truth but mostly seemed like a way of blowing me off. I then mentioned that I understand there's a developer cap and that it's actually up to Tesla to submit SGIP applications (actually RRFs) before the utility company comes into play, and that we have only another five months before passing the 12 month mark from our install (at which time it's too late to apply). At that, she said "thank you for your time" and hung up on me. :mad:

Has anyone with similar reservation/install dates received any status regarding SGIP?

I haven't received more information, but I am in a similar situation, but with an interconnect (the date that matters more than installation) date of June I have some hope that I may get in this round or maybe Step 5. Not sure that me being in the PG&E area makes it easier or worse for the SGIP. It is amazing that they don't have some type of queue system. Seems like an analyst could take a few days to prioritize and have a list and tell you with some reasoning where you stood. Lastly, to hang up on you without attempting to answer your questions seems very unprofessional.

Reactions: abasile
My single powerwall was installed with my solar end of Sept 2017. I just got documents today from Tesla for PG&E to sign saying I'm in step 4 (or at least that's the plan, the way it's worded is I should respond quickly). If you recently signed these documents, verify they didn't send you a corrected form as they originally had the battery size on mine as 13.5 but then had to correct it to 13.2 a few hours later.

I have a Sept 2017 reservation date and a March install as well (although a May interconnect due to a long story). When I called Tesla a few days before Step 3 opened they could tell me nothing. Once I called after Step 3 was open for a few days they told me reservations up to April (I think) were being processed in step 3.

I am going to wait until we are closer to step 4 open to call again, but will do the same. Keep calling, some reps know more info than others.

(I had to call 4 different times before I could get someone to come out and service my system when there was a problem. Customer service sucks so you have to be the squeaky wheel)

i asked Tesla that. They say they had indeed submitted, gave me the submission date. I can try to ping them again, but i probably will get the same run-around reply.

At least if I got a confirmation from SGIP that ball is in Tesla's court, i'd have something to go on back to Tesla. But it all looks like it is set up as impenetrable bureaucracy with no responsibility checks whatsoever.
I take issue with that. If Tesla said it's submitted, then you have to contact the SGIP administrator to ask them what is the status of the submission. If THEY then say you must contact Tesla, don't let them; hound them until they give you something in writing, then use THAT to proceed to the next step (such as showing Tesla that THEY must do something).

Last edited:
I take issue with that. If Tesla said it's submitted, then you have to contact the SGIP administrator to ask them what is the status of the submission. If THEY then say you must contact Tesla, don't let them; hound them until they give you something in writing, then use THAT to proceed to the next step (such as showing Tesla that THEY must do something).
thanks. as i mentioned in another thread i was able to contact pge sgip office and they replied promptly, of course it turned out it was tesla entirely dropping the ball. details are in that other thread. it just means they simply were clueless about how the sgip app works (they were supposed to hit final submit after uploading all the documents, which they failed to do since january despite assuring me all have been done two times arter that). it took 8 motnhs, a forwarded email from sgip to them explaining where they were wrong, and an hour and a half phone call, most ot it on hold, and a few days after that, to get this moving. once done, it took less than 3 weeks for both sgip and pge to do the remaining steps and now i am in "payment pending" status.

i wonder whether the other "icf draft" step 2 statuses around me fell victim to the same fate.

to say i am pissed at Tesla would be downplaying things. they were order of magnitude more disfunctional and not caring than the state and pge together. And i thought it was our state which is full of it,

apparently brilliant engineering must be in inverse proportion to customer service and execution. now i am getting same chaos and run around with my m3 delivery. apparently sir Elon wont have it any other way.

i swear i will not touch them with a pole any more. Takes way too much time and nerve to cut thru their thick bs**. Most infuriatingly, one never knows whether they are doing what they have said they'd do or not. one has to double and triple follow up literally everything to make sure white is still white. And if they are not doing it, there is absolutely no automatic safety net catching all their dropped balls. it may stay there until the sun is done.

At least it feels like it will take a lot of time and act to wear down that impression.

Last edited:
Does anybody know who to contact about the SGIP application process? I haven't received any answer from Tesla about the status of my SGIP application, filed in 2017. It seems like Tesla is avoiding me.
Your application status is published weekly in this huge spreadsheet:

https://www.selfgenca.com/documents/reports/statewide_projects

So if you know your application number, you can look up its status. Or if you don't know it, you may be able to deduce it based on the other fields in the database.

Note that the status "ICF Draft" means that the ICF hasn't been submitted yet, which is the problem that dlieu had.

Cheers, Wayne

So if you know your application number, you can look up its status. Or if you don't know it, you may be able to deduce it based on the other fields in the database.

Note that the status "ICF Draft" means that the ICF hasn't been submitted yet, which is the problem that dlieu had.

Cheers, Wayne

There is an up-to-the minute report available too:
https://www.selfgenca.com/report/public/

In case you don't want to wait for weekly compiles.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I signed the contract August 30th, 2017. Installed Dec 22nd, 2017. Tesla sent me an email about 3 weeks ago asking me to sign papers for them to begin the SGIP application process. I don't need them to do this so I let them know. One of the big managers at Tesla that handled the SGIP stuff is no longer with the company as of a week or so ago. I don't know if this might have something to do with the bottleneck.

Cheers, Wayne
Indeed, and thank you.
There is an up-to-the minute report available too:
https://www.selfgenca.com/report/public/

In case you don't want to wait for weekly compiles.
Yes, and thank you; I did manage to dig this up the same day I posted the message you responded to, and my application is in "ICF Draft". Here's my fields in the spreadsheet:

SGIP Administrator Pacific Gas and Electric
Application Code PGE-SGIP-2017-39XX
Program Year 2017
Step 2
Budget Category Small Residential Storage
Fully Qualified State ICF Draft
Equipment Type Electrochemical Storage
Rated Capacity [kW] 10
Energy Storage Capacity (kWh) 26.4
Paired With Renewables True
Paired With Photovoltaic
Equipment Manufacturer Tesla
Current Incentive $9,280.00
Budget Classification Reserved
Total Eligible Cost $13,774.50
Developer Company Name Tesla Inc.
Host Customer Sector Residential
City APTOS
County Santa Cruz
Zip 95003
Electric Utility Pacific Gas and Electric
Installer Name SolarCity Corporation
Date Received June 5, 2017 12:3X:XX XX.XXXXXX PDT
Interconnection date (blank)
Payment Completed Date (blank)
Cancelled Date (blank)​

That "Interconnection date" being blank is wrong. PG&E's own email to me says:

05/14/2018
XXX
XXX
APTOS, CA 95003

RE: Permission to Operate Account No.966XXXXXXX (Reference# 1142XXXXX)

Dear XXXXXX XXXXX:

Thank you for your participation in Pacific Gas and Electric Company's (PG&E) Solar and Net Energy Metering (NEM) Program. Your new generating system at XXXXX, APTOS was inspected and authorized for permission to operate on 05/14/2018 by generator log number 30S3XXX. You may now interconnect to PG&E's electric grid and experience the benefits of renewable power. The equipment covered by this "Permission to Operate" includes:

Total Effective Inverter Nameplate Rating: 16.318 kW

Inverter - External: 1x SolarEdge Technologies - SE7600 (240V)
PV Panels: 25x REC Solar - REC280TP
Inverter - Incorporated: 2x Tesla Inc. - AC Powerwall 2

As a requirement of PG&E's Electric Rule 21* and your Interconnection Agreement, this letter authorizes and applies only to the system described above. This agreement does not confirm the safety, durability or reliability of your generating system. You are responsible for maintaining the safe operation of your system and for notifying PG&E if you make any changes to your system.
The actual date that the interconnection happened was almost ten months earlier, on July 20, 2017, when SolarCity installed my Tesla Powerwall system; I've kept logs every second except for logging failures at Ulmo.Solar that shows this starting on July 27, 2017. Yet, in my SGIP status, it still says "Interconnection date (blank)".

I found some emails from Tesla that have phone numbers that I should call to find out more about what's happening. I think I will start calling them every day now, but I have no idea if I can get through to anyone. Here's the last relevent communication from Tesla:

July 17, 2018: "Now we are just waiting on PG&E to get the final registration on your Powerwall." ... "It usually takes about 9-13 weeks."
and

September 18, 2018: "Thank you for your email. Congratulations! We have received Permission to Operate your solar system! Your account has been updated accordingly with your email for visibility. A Customer Care representative will contact you to assist in activate your system or you can use the link below for the steps online. Activate Your Solar Panel System | Tesla Support

Going forward, our Customer Care Team will be your main point of contact throughout your solar journey. Our Customer Care Team can be reached at 888.765.2489. Thank you for choosing Tesla, and for working with us to make your dream of producing your own clean energy from the sun a reality!"
I followed that link, and all it does is tell me how to turn on the PowerWall system; isn't that something that should have been sent to me 14 months ago, on or around July 20, 2017, when they installed it?

BTW what helped me to cross-check Tesla claims was emailing to [email protected] , they got back to me quite promptly and even called back, verifying what Tesla in fact did and didn't. That is if you're in PGE territory.

Yes, I agree. I also wrote them and also got a swift answer. When I inquired to PG&E, this is the answer I got:

September 26, 2018: "Good morning XXXX, your project is in ICF draft, that means Tesla needs to upload all the required documents for your project.

Please reach out to Tesla to find out why they have not uploaded your documents."​

From the SGIP status spreadsheet, here's the status of all the PowerWalls installed by Tesla or SolarCity with SGIP with "Interconnection" time sorted for around the time mine was actually interconnected; everyone else's that was actually connected then was paid except mine:

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 1.40.37 AM.png

And here's my application ordered by application received time for all PowerWalls installed by Tesla or Solarcity in SGIP; mine is one of only 5 that weren't paid in this screenshot among 18 others that were paid; all 5 of the ones that weren't outright cancelled or paid are in status of "ICF Draft". If I scroll around more in those time periods for both sorts, the specific screenshots are generally true as well in those time periods. They definitely have done something wrong with my application, and I don't know what.

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 1.45.19 AM.png

Tesla makes it sound like this is a slow PG&E process. We know this is a slow PG&E process. But, to me, it seems like the slowness is being caused by more than just PG&E, but since I am neither the one filing the application with PG&E nor PG&E, I can't get any insight into the problems.

On a personal note, I seriously need the money with the recent SEC lawsuit against Musk and my stocks taking a dive; I could soon be moneyless. While I wish that the government wasn't involved in any of this, the government keeps us on oil for decades and the government plays with dumping the stock price of TSLA in what should be its best quarter ever, so the government is involved, like it or not.

@dlieu, my PowerWall install was one of the first 50 PowerWall version 2 installs in the USA, back on July 20, 2017, and even that was delayed by problems out of my control (if I had my way, I'd have installed 4 to 6 PowerWalls on Whole Home Backup, and the provisioning may have gone a lot faster since the back and forth about configuration would have not taken so long). My SGIP application was received by SGIP on June 5, 2017. You joined TMC on September 13, 2017, so I'm wondering when your PowerWall system was installed, when it was interconnected, when your SGIP application was put in, and when your SGIP application was received by SGIP.

I haven't received more information, but I am in a similar situation, but with an interconnect (the date that matters more than installation) date of June I have some hope that I may get in this round or maybe Step 5. Not sure that me being in the PG&E area makes it easier or worse for the SGIP. It is amazing that they don't have some type of queue system. Seems like an analyst could take a few days to prioritize and have a list and tell you with some reasoning where you stood. Lastly, to hang up on you without attempting to answer your questions seems very unprofessional.
I don't understand your statement "with an interconnect (the date that matters more than installation) date of June". My data above clearly shows that my funds were reserved for 2017 step 2 on application received date June 5, 2017, and my system was installed and interconnected on July 20, 2017, yet my "Permission to Operate" was issued for May 14, 2018. I think the funds are done per application time, not interconnect time, especially looking at the consistency between application time, step number reserved funds, and paid time in the spreadsheet, with a lot of very late interconnection dates next to mine that were paid per the original step.

Last edited:
  • Informative

I had done everything I could with Tesla to make sure we were ready for 2017's SGIP Step 1, but Tesla was so slow in doing everything that they got it in for SGIP Step 2. Even back then, Tesla's volume was low and it was their first time doing everything, so "slow" is relative, but my experience is that I can do everything necessary to be timely for a deadline, but Tesla went so slow that the deadline was missed.

@dlieu, my PowerWall install was one of the first 50 PowerWall version 2 installs in the USA, back on July 20, 2017, and even that was delayed by problems out of my control (if I had my way, I'd have installed 4 to 6 PowerWalls on Whole Home Backup, and the provisioning may have gone a lot faster since the back and forth about configuration would have not taken so long). My SGIP application was received by SGIP on June 5, 2017. You joined TMC on September 13, 2017, so I'm wondering when your PowerWall system was installed, when it was interconnected, when your SGIP application was put in, and when your SGIP application was received by SGIP.
installed in 9/17, step 2 app. inspected and pto email from pge all in 2017. tech review completed in january. circa jan 10 i got first email from tesla claiming my icf has been sbumitted and that i should get a check within 90 days. that claim subsequently was superceded by various other tesla responses none of which turned out to be completely true where it mattered.

your situation seems similar in that you are also in icf draft which means neither pge nor state can start processing your rebate because the document flow does not allow them to, and that the developr, i,e., tesla is still responsible for the next step.. unfortunately like i said, it seems tesla does not monitor and is not wble to get out of that situation on its own, it takes a fair amount of screaming and luck to get them moving the needle, showing them clarification from sgip clearly refuting their regular runaround reply that everything is done on their side.

Yes hell is eveywhere in that company these days, wherever u look, not just car production. And somehow i dont feel like the usual growing pains thing explains it away comfortably any more. this seems to be systemic and evoking reasons other than just merely lack of staff or money to hire proper people.

Last edited:
  • Informative
There is hope. It does, however, take patience. Started the SGIP process November 2017. My SGIP reservation for a two PowerWall installation was confirmed January 10th 2018. After multiple re-submissions for incomplete information and several DocuSigns, all done initially by SolarCity then the latest round by Tesla, I received the check on Friday November 28, almost exactly one year later.

Reactions: Kren
There is hope. It does, however, take patience. Started the SGIP process November 2017. My SGIP reservation for a two PowerWall installation was confirmed January 10th 2018. After multiple re-submissions for incomplete information and several DocuSigns, all done initially by SolarCity then the latest round by Tesla, I received the check on Friday November 28, almost exactly one year later.
it's not yet november'18, which it must be if 1 yr later?