Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with similar reservation/install dates received any status regarding SGIP?

I called today to see if I could get any updated status out of Tesla for SCE Step 4. Waited 1 hour and 20 minutes on hold, yikes. Finally got through and the fellow just referred me back to an email I got in May 2018 that stated anything after August 23 wasn't likely to make it into Step 3. I said, well, that is nice and all, but I am asking about Step 4 which is opening this week. He just redirected me to that email and said Step 4 and 5 is "first come, first served". He said there is no way to contact the Tesla SGIP team directly and that once you come up you will get an automated email to start the process.

So they are holding to their typical poor communication pattern. I will call again after the Step opens (assuming I didn't get any notice that I am now being processed) and see if they can give better cutoff dates then.

• Helpful
Reactions: abasile
I called today to see if I could get any updated status out of Tesla for SCE Step 4. Waited 1 hour and 20 minutes on hold, yikes. Finally got through and the fellow just referred me back to an email I got in May 2018 that stated anything after August 23 wasn't likely to make it into Step 3. I said, well, that is nice and all, but I am asking about Step 4 which is opening this week. He just redirected me to that email and said Step 4 and 5 is "first come, first served". He said there is no way to contact the Tesla SGIP team directly and that once you come up you will get an automated email to start the process.

So they are holding to their typical poor communication pattern. I will call again after the Step opens (assuming I didn't get any notice that I am now being processed) and see if they can give better cutoff dates then.
Well, that's more information than I've received from Tesla about the status of my SGIP application!

My primary reason to pester Tesla is to make sure not to fall through the cracks, as recently happened with a number of early Model 3 reservationists who've had to speak up in order to get their dual motor cars. (At least this hasn't jeopardized their $7500 federal tax credit. Hopefully the Model 3 delivery process will become smoother as Dec. 31 approaches.)

I understand that there's a chance of not receiving an SGIP rebate at all, but it would be a shame to miss out because my project got "lost" or something.

I understand that there's a chance of not receiving an SGIP rebate at all, but it would be a shame to miss out because my project got "lost" or something

Oh, that is why I am checking frequently as well. Would hate to find out I had been missed and Tesla just says, "well, that is too bad". That was how my PTO went down. Tesla forgot to push a button for 2 months, but assured me that I was "just waiting on my utility". Got my PTO in 3 days once I figured out what actually happened.

Of course now that the program is being extended, maybe they will lift some of the developer caps, who knows.

Oh, that is why I am checking frequently as well. Would hate to find out I had been missed and Tesla just says, "well, that is too bad". That was how my PTO went down. Tesla forgot to push a button for 2 months, but assured me that I was "just waiting on my utility". Got my PTO in 3 days once I figured out what actually happened.

Of course now that the program is being extended, maybe they will lift some of the developer caps, who knows.
The extended program isn't going to help you since your system is already installed. The new program will probably go through another review to determine if they want to change the rules, caps, etc. before they release the implementation manual and open it up again. With the speed that these things normally go, I would expect the new program to open no sooner than July 2019, more likely in 2020.

Well, that's more information than I've received from Tesla about the status of my SGIP application!

My primary reason to pester Tesla is to make sure not to fall through the cracks, as recently happened with a number of early Model 3 reservationists who've had to speak up in order to get their dual motor cars. (At least this hasn't jeopardized their $7500 federal tax credit. Hopefully the Model 3 delivery process will become smoother as Dec. 31 approaches.)

I understand that there's a chance of not receiving an SGIP rebate at all, but it would be a shame to miss out because my project got "lost" or something.
I gave up on mine, then almost exactly 1 year after my install date I started getting all the forms to sign for SGIP. You should be on a list somewhere, it's just hard to confirm.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
I probably shouldn't jinx it, but after being told a the beginning of Step 3 that I would be getting my rebate and then having the rug yanked from under me when they told me that there was no chance I would get into any of the remaining steps, I just got a call today that they would be submitting my reservation for next Monday for PG&E's Step 4. Crossing my fingers that it actually happens...

I probably shouldn't jinx it, but after being told a the beginning of Step 3 that I would be getting my rebate and then having the rug yanked from under me when they told me that there was no chance I would get into any of the remaining steps, I just got a call today that they would be submitting my reservation for next Monday for PG&E's Step 4. Crossing my fingers that it actually happens...

When did you sign up? Just trying to get a ballpark on how far down the queue we are. (I signed in Sept 2017)

I spoke with a very nice Tesla Energy rep early this morning (Saturday). I did not have to wait on hold at all!

The rep stated that, since our utility company granted the final approval for our Powerwalls this past April (they were installed in March), Tesla should be able to submit an SGIP RRF for us. That isn't totally true, as an RRF technically could have been submitted much earlier in the process. Nevertheless, I was happy to have it acknowledged that the ball is in Tesla's court, and the rep promised that she would contact the Incentives team and check on our status.

Whenever possible, I like to mention to Tesla reps that we are very happy with our Tesla products. We're just trying to make sure we don't fall through the cracks on SGIP...

FWIW, here's our Powerwall timeline:
August 2017 - Placed reservation
October 2017 - Signed contract with Tesla Energy (after design delays on Tesla's end)
December 2017 - Tesla gave us an install date, which held
March 2018 - Powerwalls installed
April 2018 - Final utility sign-off
TBD - SGIP RRF submission

I spoke with a very nice Tesla Energy rep early this morning (Saturday). I did not have to wait on hold at all!

The rep stated that, since our utility company granted the final approval for our Powerwalls this past April (they were installed in March), Tesla should be able to submit an SGIP RRF for us. That isn't totally true, as an RRF technically could have been submitted much earlier in the process. Nevertheless, I was happy to have it acknowledged that the ball is in Tesla's court, and the rep promised that she would contact the Incentives team and check on our status.

Whenever possible, I like to mention to Tesla reps that we are very happy with our Tesla products. We're just trying to make sure we don't fall through the cracks on SGIP...

FWIW, here's our Powerwall timeline:
August 2017 - Placed reservation
October 2017 - Signed contract with Tesla Energy (after design delays on Tesla's end)
December 2017 - Tesla gave us an install date, which held
March 2018 - Powerwalls installed
April 2018 - Final utility sign-off
TBD - SGIP RRF submission
Have you done the utility SGIP inspection? I believe that is the final step. This is separate from the interconnect agreement sign off. This one is dedicated person who comes and inspects the powerwall for SGIP purposes. Once that is signed off, then they approve the final check

Have you done the utility SGIP inspection? I believe that is the final step. This is separate from the interconnect agreement sign off. This one is dedicated person who comes and inspects the powerwall for SGIP purposes. Once that is signed off, then they approve the final check
No, we're nowhere near that point. We're still waiting for Tesla to submit the initial RRF (reservation request form, I think) for our SGIP application.

No, we're nowhere near that point. We're still waiting for Tesla to submit the initial RRF (reservation request form, I think) for our SGIP application.

I just got off the phone with Tesla - not good news if you haven't heard from them yet.

The rep first gave me a whole spiel that they were "waiting for Step 3 to open", so I stopped her and told her Step 4 is open now, and I can see that there is an application in the system that looks like it might be mine and I wondered if I had just missed the email. She put me on hold to contact the Tesla SGIP folks directly. She called back to tell me that they have already filled up Step 4, and that I MIGHT make it into Step 5. Maybe. She said Step 4 went through contracts signed in August 2017, but did not give a better date (i.e. early August, late August, etc). My contract was signed in late September, so I will just have to cross my fingers I guess.

• Helpful
Reactions: abasile
I just got off the phone with Tesla - not good news if you haven't heard from them yet.
... Step 4 went through contracts signed in August 2017, but did not give a better date (i.e. early August, late August, etc). My contract was signed in late September, so I will just have to cross my fingers I guess.

Tesla told me my entry was based off of the project creation date which was created 07/31/2017. My contract for two Powerwalls (revised from 1 Powerwall) signed/authorized on 8/17/2017. I have not heard from them. =/

Tesla is filling up on Step 4 fast...
Capture.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and Az_Rael
I initially worked with Swell Energy as to the SGIP incentive in February 2017. I made the initial $350.00 reservation and they applied me to Stage 1 of the May 2017 opportunity. I waited until July 2018, 14 months later, for their installer, Horizon Solar, to have the PW2 available and begin installation.

After they retrofitted my Master Breaker Unit (with a much bigger unit) along with adding a substantial sub-panel that connected through the Gateway, they completed my setup at the end of July of this year. I've been running the PW2 for a little over two months at this time. As an original NEM 1.0 solar customer, I'm still under Tiered pricing with SCE but have the PW2 configured as if I was under TOU pricing to build up actual usage data for their calculator to honestly compare whether Tiered or TOU is in my best interests. Will likely decide in November which road to travel into the future.

I received today an email from SCE's SGIP administrator stating that my SGIP incentive payment has been approved at the max Stage 1 level (about 46% of the total cost of my PW2 plus install) and I should be receiving payment in 30 days. This on top of the ITC Federal tax credit I will be receiving for installation against my taxes in 2019 which will cover another 30% of my total cost. This means installing a PW2 through SGIP has cut my total cost for the PW2 (plus all installation costs) to only 24%.

I'm happy to state I'm running completely backed-up via the PW2 along with the option to cost-shift out of Peak periods under TOU for only about 50% the actual cost of a PW2 purchase alone - without installation! This is quite the deal.

Reactions: Brovane and abasile
I initially worked with Swell Energy as to the SGIP incentive in February 2017. I made the initial $350.00 reservation and they applied me to Stage 1 of the May 2017 opportunity. I waited until July 2018, 14 months later, for their installer, Horizon Solar, to have the PW2 available and begin installation.

After they retrofitted my Master Breaker Unit (with a much bigger unit) along with adding a substantial sub-panel that connected through the Gateway, they completed my setup at the end of July of this year. I've been running the PW2 for a little over two months at this time. As an original NEM 1.0 solar customer, I'm still under Tiered pricing with SCE but have the PW2 configured as if I was under TOU pricing to build up actual usage data for their calculator to honestly compare whether Tiered or TOU is in my best interests. Will likely decide in November which road to travel into the future.

I received today an email from SCE's SGIP administrator stating that my SGIP incentive payment has been approved at the max Stage 1 level (about 46% of the total cost of my PW2 plus install) and I should be receiving payment in 30 days. This on top of the ITC Federal tax credit I will be receiving for installation against my taxes in 2019 which will cover another 30% of my total cost. This means installing a PW2 through SGIP has cut my total cost for the PW2 (plus all installation costs) to only 24%.

I'm happy to state I'm running completely backed-up via the PW2 along with the option to cost-shift out of Peak periods under TOU for only about 50% the actual cost of a PW2 purchase alone - without installation! This is quite the deal.

I also went with Swell Energy for my PW install. When I called Tesla in December of 2016 and tried to talk to them about the SGIP program and Powerwall's they told me that the SGIP didn't apply to residential users. I went with Swell instead despite the extra price. With Stage 1 SGIP and ITC it was like 75% of my cost was covered and to me it seemed almost to good to be true. Finally got my two PW's installed earlier this year. The SGIP inspection has been completed and now just waiting for my check.

I also used Swell Energy. One problem I have is that they represent that you can take the 30% ITC on their entire invoiced amount. According to my tax accountant, that is not proper. He says that I will only get a tax credit of 30% of my final net cost. This is a well established procedure from the days when there were State rebates for solar panels as well. It's the same tax code, so the procedure is the same. You don't have to believe me, but please consult a tax professional on this issue before filing your 2018 taxes.