Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 / Solaredge - no solar power during outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I have a Powerwall 2 / Solar edge installed on the 1/30/2020.
Problem is, when there is a grid outage, the Solar edge goes into a fault state error 18x62 (islanding trip). No solar energy is produced until the grid power is restored.
I am in the southern hemisphere - lots of sun...

Hi all,
Problem is, when there is a grid outage, the Solar edge goes into a fault state error 18x62 (islanding trip). No solar energy is produced until the grid power is restored.

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/se_hd_wave_inverter_installation_guide_na.pdf says 18x62 is a voltage problem. Can you tell what the voltage off of your Powerwall is during a grid outage?

That's very much in spec. Page #78 on https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/se_hd_wave_inverter_installation_guide_na.pdf says: ACOutputVoltage Min.-Nom.-Max.(211-240-264). This is confirmed on page 81 saying that the nominal voltage range is 88% < V < 110%. (240 * .88 = 211, 240 * 1.1 = 264).

Can you check frequency before/during/after an outage too?

If it is just voltage it feels like not a Powerwall issue but perhaps something with your inverters. Maybe they're configured incorrectly to trip higher? You may want to get in touch with your installer or support.

Hi all,

This happened to me last month. After 1 year of the solar/PW working perfectly through multiple outages, I lost solar production during a grid down event with an error code on the inverter. I called the Tesla electrician who did my install and he said he was 99% sure that it was due to a simple arc fault and that a system reboot would fix it. Apparently the inverters are extraordinarily sensitive to any deviance. A reboot corrected my problem and I was back in business within minutes. The problem has not recurred since.

Hi all,
The installer retuned and installed a relay in the Tesla Gateway to the Solaredge.
Also changed the settings on the Solaredge.
Now all the backed up circuits and battery can run off solar while the grid is down.

Though when the grid is down, no power is supplied to the non-battery backed up circuits.
Hence no power for oven, geyser and pool pump...

The Solaredge phone app also changed, now shows the grid with a red X.
Solaredge graphs now also only show Solar Production and Self Consumption, no Import from grid or battery.