Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 supply issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my reservation for 3 power walls in November 2017 - I finally got an email that I was ready for install and that I should call scheduling.

The scheduling group informed me that due to supply chain issues, they will not be scheduling anyone until the end of the year. Unfortunately if you haven't scheduled yet, it's looking like it won't happen until 2019.

If PW deliveries slip too much that would be bad because I would lose my SGIP reservation and not receive the rebates. I believe the SGIP program requires that the PW installation be completed within one year of the reservation. I have had a reservation for a few months so I have 10 months left. I hope this information is incorrect.

I received the similar news about the delays due to "overwhelming demand" from my energy advisor. I have 7 months remaining to install/commission the PW before my state incentive expires. Considering that "supply chain" provides batteries to the Model 3. Tesla should open the standard battery option sooner than later to help with this.

Last edited:
I definitely will cancel my contract if I am not eligible for the SGIP rebate. I went with a non Tesla contractor that charges significantly more than Tesla for installing Powerwalls. But they were able to offer a Step 4 SGIP reservation on two Powerwalls which lowered the net cost to a somewhat reasonable amount. However, without a SGIP rebate, the total cost is outrageous and would not make sense to proceed.

I was under the impression that non-Tesla contractors guaranteed out-of-pocket not to exceed what was stated in the quoted price. I perceive that the SGIP reservation can be extended, but I have not read if there are any provisions in the handbook to allow extensions. It would reduce paperwork if the the handbook was simply updated from 12 months to 18 months, with retroactive effectivity. I agree with you that any hiccup going forward is not worth sinking cash into.

The scheduling group informed me that due to supply chain issues, they will not be scheduling anyone until the end of the year. Unfortunately if you haven't scheduled yet, it's looking like it won't happen until 2019.

Wow. Guess I made it in under the wire as we signed in Sept 2017 and didn't get installed until April. And I was salty about that wait. Guess I should be glad they got us done within 6 months.

I just talked to Tesla about a panels and PW contract, and they said they can't install anything until they have all the parts, so, if you want a panel install, you need to do the PW's separately. He sounded like 6-8 months for PW, but this above sounds like even worse!

Edit: One of the reasons for the PW wait was the Puerto Rico installs, which makes sense. I put in a reservation for two, to start the ball rolling on that part.

Last edited:
Back in Nov 2017 ordered a 10.5 kWh system with 2 power walls. It was installed 3/10/18 and the building dept inspected it the middle of april. Waiting for my power company to do the PTO, no clue when that will happen. It is like getting a very cool Christmas gift and not being to play with it. I am in Dade City, Florida.

Reactions: boaterva
Back in Nov 2017 ordered a 10.5 kWh system with 2 power walls. It was installed 3/10/18 and the building dept inspected it the middle of april. Waiting for my power company to do the PTO, no clue when that will happen. It is like getting a very cool Christmas gift and not being to play with it. I am in Dade City, Florida.
Did you try to talk to your power company directly? That's what I ended up doing and I got my PTO faster than I would have because I kept bugging them. PG&E has a solar department that got me in touch with my local office and they were the ones who were actually approving the PTO.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
Does anyone know why there is going to be such a long delay for Tesla to ship Powerwalls? Does the Powerwall compete with the Model 3 for batteries, labor, or other resources needed to manufacture them? Puerto Rico has been offered as a reason but I didn’t think Tesla is currently diverting Powerwalls to Puerto Rico. Mulitiple sources have reported significant delays about the same time, which seems more like a production shut down rather than trying to keep up with backlog (e.g. Model 3). And how does it make sense for Tesla to begin promoting Powerwalls at Home Depot?

Does anyone know why there is going to be such a long delay for Tesla to ship Powerwalls? Does the Powerwall compete with the Model 3 for batteries, labor, or other resources needed to manufacture them? Puerto Rico has been offered as a reason but I didn’t think Tesla is currently diverting Powerwalls to Puerto Rico. Mulitiple sources have reported significant delays about the same time, which seems more like a production shut down rather than trying to keep up with backlog (e.g. Model 3). And how does it make sense for Tesla to begin promoting Powerwalls at Home Depot?

Between the Model 3 ramping and the rumored 1 GWh Tesla Powerpack installation I suspect that they are currently supply constrained.

Sound de trumpet how long did it take for your Tesla adviser to generate an invoice for your powerwall after you Docusign and pending local permits , I requested an itemized list or invoice from my TA but have yet received any details of my installation, I Docusign two weeks ago for one powerwall with a partial backup , I appreciate any replies Thanku

Just to clarify, you have the Powerwalls installed, but the entire system is still not running, yet?

What power company do you have?

Tesla is telling me that the new meter + final inspection from TECO normally takes 6-7 weeks.

Mickey, I summarized key events below and underlined what I believe to be the milestones you are referring to:

May 2016 - Solar installed and commissioned
June 2016 - Inquired about home battery with multiple companies, created account with SGIP 2016 program, abandoned program due to incentives & capital costs too high.
May 2017 - Informed by SGIP of new program.
June 2017 - Received phone call from a company contacted back in June 2016. Explored multiple bids. Virtual & onsite surveys conducted.
July 2017 - Comparative research/analysis. Cancelled all existing contracts. Signed agreement with Tesla Energy. Deposit paid. SGIP developer acceptance granted. Home energy efficiency audit (HEEA) completed.
August 2017 - Powerwall design draft completed. Contract signed with itemized pricing. Preliminary monitoring plan (PMP) completed.
September 2017 - SGIP application Step 2 submitted (application with contract, specification, HEEA, PMP, $400 fee, etc).
October 2017 - Property value tax assessment inquiry received from the County triggered by of a building permit issued relating to Tesla.
December 2017 - NEM application signed and submitted by Tesla Energy. SGIP funds reserved.
January 2018 - Powerwall design completed. Comments made about future increased power needs/flexibility.
February 2018 - Contract signed again with itemized pricing. No perceived changes.
April 2018 - Updated Powerwall designed completed. New itemized contract price provided. Declined new contract price. Tesla honors prior contract.
May 2018 - Tesla Energy Advisor informs me that Powerwall supply issues, and advises to lower my expectation on timeline.

It took a month (June-June) to get the contract with itemized pricing. Tesla did something with permits, issued draft design with 1st round comment incorporated, and submitted to city after I signed the contract. Seems like my design has undergone a deep dive review such that the design is completely different that originally anticipated. External factors affecting supply are surely the source of delay.

This astounds me! I'm in Australia. We ordered our PW2 in November 2017 and had it (along with a 10kW solar system), fully installed and running in January 2018. A time-frame of about 2.5 months from when we accepted the quote and paid our deposit.

It wasn't ordered via Tesla though. We went with one of their official suppliers here. Maybe we were just lucky that they had stock, but I'm shocked to hear people being saying they will be waiting for such extended periods, especially those of you in America where these are made.

I definitely will cancel my contract if I am not eligible for the SGIP rebate. I went with a non Tesla contractor that charges significantly more than Tesla for installing Powerwalls. But they were able to offer a Step 4 SGIP reservation on two Powerwalls which lowered the net cost to a somewhat reasonable amount. However, without a SGIP rebate, the total cost is outrageous and would not make sense to proceed.

Curious who you used?

I think they're doing something similar to car production, whatever's easiest and top priority(most profitable) goes first. Individual Powerwall installs are a money loser at the moment, why not wait until the re-worked residential solar unit is more ramped? While cell supply is limited, they'll go to Model 3 and grid level energy products.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet