Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 update 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!
We have recently installed a PW2, Gateway & 7kW panels.

System has been working great with our utility setup as below.
- Peak: 12am-9pm
- Super Off-peak: 9pm-12am (free power)

During the Super off-peak, we would charge the PW2 from the grid @ 3.5kW while we were consuming energy through the house. The home consumption would exceed 5kW & the PW2 would still maintain the 3.5kW charge rate.
I tested having all the heat pumps on, 10kW being consumed for the home & PW2 still charged at 3.5kW.
The PW2 update at this time was 22.9.2 a54352e6.

On the 1st July 2022 there was an update pushed out.
Now the PW2 seems to load balance the home at 5kW.
Example 3.5kW being used for PW charge & 1.5kW used for the home. If the home went over 1.5kW, then the PW2 charge rate starts to reduce!!!
Considering we have free power during the hours I charge the PW, I do not want this balancing. I should be free to choose how I manage my power!

The best part is that there are no release notes anywhere for this version update.
Really bad Software Release Management by Telsa!!!

I contacted Tesla, the agent insisted this is how the PW2 is supposed to work & this update has been out since early 2022.
Totally missing my point that their updates website is showing an old version & that this is not how i was running the PW2 & home energy.

I might be one of few that have noticed this as I manage the home energy VERY closely using custom dashboards which give hourly data & costs (using the PW API's)
I say this because I have not found any issues from anyone in the last month regarding the PW2...

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Also would be good to hear from others with new PW installs.

regards
K

There are other threads here with the gateway parameters that regulate max charge/discharge. I would hazard a guess that your gateway had its settings altered. I haven't ever changed mine, so I can't help on that. IIRC, some owners were able to login to the gateway and change them and others weren't.

Good luck,

BG

@BGbreeder, thanks for the response.

While I was doing some research today on the gateway settings I noticed the battery drop as depicted below.
1657275927970.png

Upon checking the Powerwall directly I noticed the version was rolled back, so looks like Tesla was in here.
There has been no communication rom Tesla on the matter. I can only put it down that they possibly had my PW in the wrong release category/ country.

Tonight the charge rate from the grid is back to normal. more than 5.5kW coming from the grid & the PW2 remains it's charge rate around 3.4kW. I will monitor this.
1657276263124.png

Hope this roll back does not bring back another issue they had a few weeks back where the PW2 was sending energy back to the grid.
Tesla had to roll something back in the same version.

regards
K

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
@BGbreeder, thanks for the response.

While I was doing some research today on the gateway settings I noticed the battery drop as depicted below.
View attachment 826168
Upon checking the Powerwall directly I noticed the version was rolled back, so looks like Tesla was in here.
There has been no communication rom Tesla on the matter. I can only put it down that they possibly had my PW in the wrong release category/ country.

Tonight the charge rate from the grid is back to normal. more than 5.5kW coming from the grid & the PW2 remains it's charge rate around 3.4kW. I will monitor this.
View attachment 826172

Hope this roll back does not bring back another issue they had a few weeks back where the PW2 was sending energy back to the grid.
Tesla had to roll something back in the same version.

regards
K
What Firmware did they roll you back to? I'm having similar issues since 22.18 FW and am waiting for tier 2 to get back to me.