Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 + UPS Connundrum - and solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I submitted through the app and they came back asking for model numbers. However, the next day they said the change was made. They didn't tell me the freq and I never sent in my the models numbers. However, I was able to confirm they changed it to 62.5 Hz when testing it.

Reactions: h2ofun
I submitted through the app and they came back asking for model numbers. However, the next day they said the change was made. They didn't tell me the freq and I never sent in my the models numbers. However, I was able to confirm they changed it to 62.5 Hz when testing it.
I'm still waiting for confirmation from my request last week. How did you go about confirming the new setting?

I'm still waiting for confirmation from my request last week. How did you go about confirming the new setting?
I don't believe there is any customer-viewable setting to see what the frequency is set to, so the only way to confirm is to take yourself off the grid when the battery is full. A few ways exist to test:

1. If you just want to confirm the frequency is below the UPS limit, disconnect from the grid and check its behavior. If it is not engaged when off grid, that likely indicates the frequency is now within the tolerances for the UPS.
  2. You can check the actual frequency as reported by Tesla by logging into your gateway's local interface (an https://192.168.x.y address for most home networks) and then opening /api/meters/aggregates. It will show the frequency, which should normally be 60 Hz, rise during an outage. You can confirm that the rise is now to 62 or 62.5 Hz instead of 65 Hz.
  3. To independently check frequency, others have posted options for items to purchase which can measure the frequency if you do not have something available to do so.

Reactions: agw and thegdgteer
Didn't notice this before, but you may be able to verify the override in the api.

https://teg/api/site_info now has this
Code:
    "grid_code_overrides": [
      {
        "name": "soc_freq_droop_config_df_max",
        "value": 2.5
      }
    ]

Cool, nice find! Looks like the value is base frequency + soc_freq_droop_config_df_max? So for me in the US it would be 60hz + 2hz = 62hz which is what I experience during outages.

Code:
"grid_code_overrides":[
{
   "name":"soc_freq_droop_config_df_max",
   "value":2
}

I confirmed by API, but you will also know when you don't hear all the UPS beeping. The only way to test is by having a full PW and killing the grid.

Nice info! I just checked mine since I haven't heard back from Tesla and low and behold:

JSON:
"grid_code_overrides": [
    {
        "name": "soc_freq_droop_config_df_max",
        "value": 2.2
    }
]

I'll do a full test killing the grid this weekend but looks good.

Reactions: gpez
I'll do a full test killing the grid this weekend but looks good.

Test successful, although I did measure some variation above the expected 62.2 up to 62.4HZ

6C78231E-1B71-4647-BFAC-4734FE3F2F8B.jpeg
4FEAB50A-A84B-41E7-807C-A854B30FA456.jpeg
782972CB-1A92-491E-9905-CBAC44D23208.jpeg

UPDATE on the frequency rise to 65 Hertz: After the September 23rd grid power outage event when Tesla confirmed my PW2 raised the frequency to 65.4 Hertz, I simulated the exact same event again last Sunday, October 14th with a pull to the Service Disconnect on the Main Breaker Unit.

All parameters were the same: PW2 100% charged, sun shining and solar input at 3.5-4 kW and my house was using about 1.5-2 kW at the time. All appliances remained the same. I had both the new Eaton UPS (that can pass-thru up to 70 Hertz power) and the Minuteman UPS (that can pass-thru up to 66 Hertz power) at two of my locations where critical CPU based hardware was running while the rest continued to use the previous APC and Trip-Lite UPSs.

When the Service Disconnect was pulled, all the UPSs briefly came to life and went to their internal batteries to facilitate the very short loss of 120 volt power when the Gateway relay snaps shut. But within a second or so, they all went back to using the house supplied current (now PW2 based). I was able to document via video in real-time the rise of the Hertz level from 60.0 to the maximum employed.

But THIS time, the frequency only rose to 63 Hertz. The rise took about 2-3 seconds but held steady at 63 Hertz. Thus ALL of my UPSs work with this new Hertz limit as the APC and Trip-Lites function at 63 Hertz (actually, Tesla confirmed 62.9 Hertz).

The ONLY difference between the September event and the October event was the firmware release. At the initial event I had 1.22.3 and I currently have 1.25.0. After speaking with Tesla customer tech support yesterday about this test, it was confirmed that the frequency rise is not some built-in hardware circuit on the PW2 but is actually software controlled. Version 1.25.0 differs from 1.22.3 in many more ways than the support page states - the limit on the frequency rise is one of the updates - at least against my Enphase M215 inverters as I have been able to test.
How do I check and update the firmware?