Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 + UPS Connundrum - and solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused.

Can't installing a powerwall 2 mean the home owner can remove all the smaller UPS from the house?

I thought the Tesla Powerwall 2 with Tesla backup gateway 2 could itself act as a true UPS?

Am I mistaken here?

Thanks!
It depends on how sensitive your equipment is. The switchover isn't instantaneous. My switchover time seems to take longer the higher the current raw during the switchover. Perhaps up to a second. And a quick bleep can be worse than a longer switchover that causes a device to reboot. My DVR system would lockup during a quick bleep and I would have to manually reboot it by power cycling.

What is really needed is some kind of power conditioner that is only good for a few seconds but they don't seem available to the general public for a price comparable to UPS backups.

It depends on how sensitive your equipment is. The switchover isn't instantaneous. My switchover time seems to take longer the higher the current raw during the switchover. Perhaps up to a second. And a quick bleep can be worse than a longer switchover that causes a device to reboot. My DVR system would lockup during a quick bleep and I would have to manually reboot it by power cycling.
Ok thanks.. So by definition the Powerwall 2 with backup gateway 2 is not a true UPS.. right?

I mean it's not semantics ..this is actually is real potential issue for me.. a true UPS (for things like critical computer networks and internet etc) never has any loss of power to any device connected to it.. not even for a microsecond..

Reactions: navguy12
I am confused.

Can't installing a powerwall 2 mean the home owner can remove all the smaller UPS from the house?

I thought the Tesla Powerwall 2 with Tesla backup gateway 2 could itself act as a true UPS?

Am I mistaken here?

Thanks!
The very first post in this thread describes it well. While sensitive electronics will still need a UPS due to the Powerwall contractor (electronic switch) changeover time if the grid drops, you do then have a very large long term UPS for covering outages longer than small domestic UPSs can handle.

Ok thanks.. So by definition the Powerwall 2 with backup gateway 2 is not a true UPS.. right?

I mean it's not semantics ..this is actually is real potential issue for me.. a true UPS (for things like critical computer networks and internet etc) never has any loss of power to any device connected to it.. not even a microsecond..
Correct, not a true UPS by that definition.

The very first post in this thread describes it well. While sensitive electronics will still need a UPS due to the Powerwall contractor (electronic switch) changeover time if the grid drops, you do then have a very large long term UPS for covering outages longer than small domestic UPSs can handle.
Ok sure. Sorry about the question.. but there is a lot of false/fake news about this on the net etc... I have been weighing up a Tesla PW2 vs a SolarEdge Home battery for critical backup of my network and home auto setup (which also runs my security). I was heavily swinging towards a PW2 as I had (some false impressions it seems) that it could act as a UPS. The SolarEdge backup takes 3 secs to switch over. But being DC - it is unlikely to have these trip up problems with other UPS's.. But really what's the point then of the PW? 3 seconds vs a millisecond.. no difference really. Even a millisecond is not any better in this scenario.. Am I mistaken here? Cheers

Ok sure. Sorry about the question.. but there is a lot of false/fake news about this on the net etc... I have been weighing up a Tesla PW2 vs a SolarEdge Home battery for critical backup of my network and home auto setup (which also runs my security). I was heavily swinging towards a PW2 as I had (some false impressions it seems) that it could act as a UPS. The SolarEdge backup takes 3 secs to switch over. But being DC - it is unlikely to have these trip up problems with other UPS's.. But really what's the point then of the PW? 3 seconds vs a millisecond.. no difference really. Even a millisecond is not any better in this scenario.. Am I mistaken here? Cheers
I've had switchovers that I didn't even know about until I got the notification from Tesla. But, from a practical aspect, anything that needs a UPS now will still need a UPS.

I mean it's either true uninterrupted power UPS (the current flow goes thru the battery 1st before out to the device) or it's not (there is an external contactor switch which has to be tripped before the power flows out to the device). I;m no electronics engineer but that is my understanding :)

Ok cool. Thanks for the clarification. So that is not a win for the Powerwall vs the SolarEdge home battery. 3 sec switchover vs under a sec..even a couple millisecs makes zero difference..
It isn't a win strictly from the aspect of not needing UPSs. But the quick switchover is nice from a convenience standpoint. Most of the time I don't even need to reset my digital clocks.

Reactions: Jay Gatsby
Ok cool. Thanks for the clarification. So that is not a win for the Powerwall vs the SolarEdge home battery. 3 sec switchover vs under a sec..even a couple millisecs makes zero difference..
Are you sure that your system is that sensitive? Cheap UPSs use a relay with as much as a 25 ms switchover and most PCs handle that just fine. That's just one cycle of AC power.

FWIW, my Home Assistant setup (running on a mini PC) has survived a power outage with Powerwalls, but I'm probably going to add a small UPS to make sure it'll stay up even if it's one of the outages that take longer to switch over.

Bottom line: in my house I would definitely feel the difference between a 3 second switchover and what the Powerwalls do now.

Thanks everyone.. ok so how long does the powerwall 2 and tesla gateway take to switch over then? On average.. say for loads like a rack of a couple network switches, a router, a home auto server (control4) and a PC running something like Home Assistance ..that sort of thing? Thanks

Thanks everyone.. ok so how long does the powerwall 2 and tesla gateway take to switch over then? On average.. say for loads like a rack of a couple network switches, a router, a home auto server (control4) and a PC running something like Home Assistance ..that sort of thing? Thanks
It sounds like you're talking about using the Powerwall 2 as a UPS and not a home backup system. So, at that point, I haven't a clue whether or not a Powerwall would do the job. Additionally, I see that you are in Australia which, I believe, uses a different flavor of Powerwalls (all of my electronics run off 110v circuits). You'll probably need input from people in Australia.

The REAL issue is that the PW2 Gateway relay does not do 'instantaneous' switch-overs. There is a very short loss of cycles as the relay reacts to the loss of power from the grid and 'snaps' the relay to the other side to get the PW2 power that is at that time requested. That can run from a few milliseconds to 1000 milliseconds (as far as I know).

For MOST appliances, this can be ignored. Your washing machine, fridge, most lights, etc. might stutter for a moment but then continue on like nothing happened. The ONE application that this matters for is regarding CPU related devices. Just a VERY short loss of cycles is enough to fault them. So an interim 'conditioner' is required.

It would have been better if Tesla would have simply added some super-capacitors to its Gateway that would provide full 10-20 kW power at 120 / 240 volts for one to two seconds so that the conditioning could be done internal to the Powerwall 2, but it wasn't created that way. If it had been created that way, the relay 'snap' speed wouldn't matter as the capacitors would simply 'fill in the gap' during the switch-over of a grid outage.

But since it didn't, a UPS is required for CPU based devices. And, allowing the PW2 power to pass through at 65 Hertz is also required for it to function properly during all grid outage situations.

But I feel your pain...
Is this something been addressed in the PowerWall 3? Cheers

Powerwall are battery backup, not a UPS. I am a Business continuity/IT disaster recovery professional. The difference between a backup power supply (battery, diesel generator, rotational) and a UPS is that in a true UPS, all power flows through it at all times. The UPS is not only uninterruptible but it conditions the power as well.

In an IT shop, both the batteries and the generator are connected to the UPS. The UPS’ job is to use the batteries until the generator fires up and is smooth.

With a powerwall system, the controller cuts them or the panels in when there is a power failure. And yes, there can be a delay.

It sounds like you're talking about using the Powerwall 2 as a UPS and not a home backup system. So, at that point, I haven't a clue whether or not a Powerwall would do the job. Additionally, I see that you are in Australia which, I believe, uses a different flavor of Powerwalls (all of my electronics run off 110v circuits). You'll probably need input from people in Australia.
Sure. that's real hard though. Most electricians don't have clue what a UPS is.. At least the PW is configurable by the end user and I won't have to get my installer out all the time to tweek it;s settings.. Right? Cheers

Powerwall are battery backup, not a UPS. I am a Business continuity/IT disaster recovery professional. The difference between a backup power supply (battery, diesel generator, rotational) and a UPS is that in a true UPS, all power flows through it at all times. The UPS is not only uninterruptible but it conditions the power as well.

In an IT shop, both the batteries and the generator are connected to the UPS. The UPS’ job is to use the batteries until the generator fires up and is smooth.

With a powerwall system, the controller cuts them or the panels in when there is a power failure. And yes, there can be a delay.
Ok. So I am not so daft after all.. :rolleyes: . That is what I thought.. So much misinformation out there.. What UPS's are you using? Thanks!

^ Awesome thanks so much for the reply! I have a rack mounted Eton already.. so from reading the other posts in the thread, I won't have to change the PW frequency settings.. All good. I am on my way! I have made my mind up on other reasons for choseing PW over the SE.. I hate dealer only configurations..Life is just not like that.. circumstances will change.. partic when it comes to power management and pricing from electricity providers in the current weird energy priced world.. Cheers all for the help everyone.

Reactions: navguy12