Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20 watts per hour is basically nothing. My desktop computer when the power is OFF uses 10 watts. A typical home draws 200w-300w just in random vampire drain. A big battery with powerful inverters and liquid cooling drawing 20W at idle is actually a minor miracle!

20 watts per hour is basically nothing. My desktop computer when the power is OFF uses 10 watts. A typical home draws 200w-300w just in random vampire drain. A big battery with powerful inverters and liquid cooling drawing 20W at idle is actually a minor miracle!
And my modem is 30 watts and wi-fi router as well, 24/7
Now I use a timer, shut it off 1/3 of the 24 hours. In a year it adds up a lot

In the scope of operating an American single family home, the vampire drain of a Powerwall is not financially significant. Think about it in terms of Wh/day times $/kWh and you come up with a pretty small monthly figure. Just my opinion.
Right, but it's not a money thing, at least for me. I want my battery at 100% backup (okay 99%) in case of a power outage that is not storm related. When snow is on the panels here in CT (and it's NOT recommended to try and clear them off and thus risk damaging the panels) then I'm losing like 5% per day. So after, say, a week of this, and then we DO lose power, I've got way less battery use. NOT about the money, except that I spent $11,000 on something that is not performing as intended/promised.