Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 vs Others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to decide if I should go with a Tesla Powerwall 2 vs other battery systems. Has anyone have experience with either the Pika Harbor 6 (20.3kwh) or Sonnen (20kwh) batteries?
Pika was bought by Generac. They have supposedly cost reduced the electronics by having them made by their supply chain in Vietnam instead of domestic American manufacturing. I have not seen the new literature from Generac nor seen a quote.

I don't know what Sonnen is like these days. Last time I looked into it, the product was basically a pretty cabinet with an Outback inverter and LiFePO4 batteries inside with a custom control system.

I don't think either of these are anywhere near cost competitive on a per kW or per kWh basis with Tesla. However, since Sonnen is based on Outback, they should have good generator support, if that's something you really need.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide if I should go with a Tesla Powerwall 2 vs other battery systems. Has anyone have experience with either the Pika Harbor 6 (20.3kwh) or Sonnen (20kwh) batteries?

What's your use case and your budget? I have a Magnum Energy 4448PAE with 2 banks of golf cart batteries. Not ideal for load shifting but they do great for backup power. I've had them for ~5 years now. The thing I really like about the Magnum is it's a tank and the system is pretty cheap. I'm considering adding a bank of L16 batteries for $2400. Trojan has a line of 'premium' flooded batteries that boast an 8 year 1900 cycle life to 50% DOD. $2400 for ~20kWh of storage seems like a pretty good deal to me...

Depending on when you take the plunge, having a UL listed system might be a big benefit if you want to expand. It doesn’t sound like the competitors have an active thermal management system, which will reduce their chances of having a full UL package.

I'm considering a LG Chem battery system as well as Telsa Powerwalls. The local company who installed our two solar arrays a few years ago switched from being an Authorized Independent Tesla Powerwall installer to LG Chem. Our local utility company told me they have more rebates available for LG Chem as opposed to Tesla. If the systems are pretty close in features and price, I'll probably go with the local company because they have truly excellent customer service...

Depending on when you take the plunge, having a UL listed system might be a big benefit if you want to expand. It doesn’t sound like the competitors have an active thermal management system, which will reduce their chances of having a full UL package.

Just looked up the Pika and it has UL 9540, UL 1973, UL 1642, CSA 22.2 certs and the Sonnen has UL 9540, UL 1741 (inverter), UL 1973 (batteries), and FCC part 15 Class B.

I'm considering a LG Chem battery system as well as Telsa Powerwalls. The local company who installed our two solar arrays a few years ago switched from being an Authorized Independent Tesla Powerwall installer to LG Chem. Our local utility company told me they have more rebates available for LG Chem as opposed to Tesla. If the systems are pretty close in features and price, I'll probably go with the local company because they have truly excellent customer service...
Who is the local company