Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered Solar + 2 Powerwalls towards end of April and installation is scheduled for Dec 14th/15th. After six months, I called in a pretty sour mood about getting a date scheduled since the documents I had been given suggested it would be 6-8 weeks for installation plus a few weeks for inspections and interconnect. I was told my install was initially delayed due to issues with SDG&E and then due to Puerto Rico.

I missed tier 1 of the SGIP but did get in for tier 2.

Anyway, I can't speak to "massive backlog" but the limited anecdotal evidence I have seems to suggest availability is improving.

Terrible way to run a business.
There were hits on Musk on Twitter about this during his thread about not giving batteries to $20K+ gouging "installers".

He gave an non-committal answer to dealing with gougers (because the gouging is happening right now in CA, not PR), and he didn't address the tight-supplies of batteries he created by going all-in on that Australian battery-storage bet before then pushing whatever they had left for PR.

In many ways, we're being treated as 3rd class customers after those previous two.

PR is understandable, but given Tesla's current history of asking for money first, and shipping a long time later.. Ponzis are a terrible way to run a business.

He gave an non-committal answer to dealing with gougers (because the gouging is happening right now in CA, not PR), and he didn't address the tight-supplies of batteries he created by going all-in on that Australian battery-storage bet before then pushing whatever they had left for PR.

No, they didn't use any of the cells intended for the US or PR for the project in Australia. They brought in cells from Samsung instead of using the Panasonic cells made at the Gigafactory.

Would they have brought in Samsung cells had they not gotten the Australian contract? Probably not.

Reactions: NuShrike
PR is understandable, but given Tesla's current history of asking for money first, and shipping a long time later.. Ponzis are a terrible way to run a business.
Tesla did take $1000 of my money when I reserved two Powerwalls, and I'll pay the remaining $12K+ balance after they're installed. For my project, Tesla has already used their resources for design, engineering, permitting, and support. That's not a Ponzi scheme, it's just a company that can't deliver new products on time. They'll eventually get it streamlined, just as it's generally possible today to buy a Model S or X with minimal wait.

Reactions: Dave EV
Tesla is selling powerwalls today at below cost, which is a terrible way to run a Ponzi scheme.

Once production is automated they will catch up. Part of the problem is probably prioritizing model 3 battery packs. Each may compete for resources, including the same labor.

Tesla seems to have a lot easier time building powerpacks compared to powerwalls. It would be interesting to know why.

Tesla is selling powerwalls today at below cost, which is a terrible way to run a Ponzi scheme.

Once production is automated they will catch up. Part of the problem is probably prioritizing model 3 battery packs. Each may compete for resources, including the same labor.

Tesla seems to have a lot easier time building powerpacks compared to powerwalls. It would be interesting to know why.
Please fill me in on how it is a Ponzi scheme.

• Funny
Reactions: mblakele
No, they didn't use any of the cells intended for the US or PR for the project in Australia. They brought in cells from Samsung instead of using the Panasonic cells made at the Gigafactory.

Would they have brought in Samsung cells had they not gotten the Australian contract? Probably not.
They had already started bringing in Samsung cells before building the Kauai project.

Did anyone receive SGIP rebate yet? My Powerall was installed in July. After nearly 6 months no rebate and no TOU functionality. Why is Tesla selling the product that does not work as advertised? Time shifting is #1 use case for the Powerwall -- without it it is not economically viable, even with the rebates.

I have some more movement from SGIP... Getting really close to hopefully getting my SGIP payment

Here's the original list with the most recent update is at the bottom.

November 14, 2016 - Placed Deposit for Quantity 1 Powerwall 2
Early April, 2016 - Received a call to scheduled my on-site picture and measurement session
April 27, 2017 - Tesla technician came onsite to take pictures of all my panels, meters, and entire garage with full measurements.
May 8, 2017 - Using Docusign, I received my quote for my system, including diagrams on where they have to install the Powerwall based on code, along with a much of legal stuff.
May 25, 2017 - I signed all the Docusigns after going back and forth asking clarification on a few of the items.
May 30, 2017 - I received another Docusign from the SGIP Incentive team asking me to provide details so they can complete my SGIP application on my behalf. Completed their questionnaire, including 4 or 5 PG&E bills and something else I can't remember right now
June 6, 2017 - Received email from PG&E/SGIP stating that "You've received a conditional rebate confirmation for Step 2 of the SGIP rebate program for your Powerwall".
July 29, 2017 - Received a call from Tesla stating that my area (I'm guessing my Zip Code) now has Interconnect Licenses from PG&E so we can pick an install date. I picked the 1st date in the system which was Sept 13, 2017 with a walk-through inspection with the master electrician on Sept 11, 2017.
Sept 11, 2017 - Master Electrician came onsite to talk about the install, review the location of the install, review all of the panels, and took notes. This took about 2 hours in total
Sept 13, 2017 - Two electrician came on site and start the install. Work stared around 9am and completed around 4pm. Installation could not be completed because the Powerwall/Gateway could not be provisioned. My Wireless Wifi unit had an additional security service turned on which prevent communication to the NOC.
Sept 14, 2017 - Another electrician came onsite to complete the installation as soon as I discovered the security service was blocking connections to the Tesla NOC and I had it turned off. Everything was provisioned correctly.
Sept 15, 2017 - I received one more Docusign from Tesla which contains the PG&E Interconnect Licenses that I need to review, sign and send back which I did.
Sept 22, 2017 - Alameda county inspection was scheduled for the early afternoon. Tesla electricians came back onsite because they forgot they needed to put a Nerio monitoring device around my 60amp breaker for my Tesla Wall Connector so when in use it's energy usage would appear under the HOME category in the Tesla App. Inspection by Alameda County completed without issue around noon.
Oct 10, 2017 - I received an email from PG&E with the following "Thank you for submitting an Interconnection Request Non-Export License...".
Oct 26, 2017 - I received an email from the SGIP Program titled "SGIP Confirmed Reservation Letter". Looks like my money is now received for a total of 12 months from today, and they want the final documents to be uploaded (i.e. Incentive Claim Documents). Tesla/SolarCity will be doing that, and once SGIP receives those documents, the email indicates "Upon receipt of the Incentive Claim documents, a third-party entity will conduct an inspection of the SGIP installation to verify that the project is operational, interconnected and conforms to the eligibility criteria of the program. Payment of the incentive will be made after these items have been completed and verified."

November 9, 2017 - Received an email from PG&E SGIP. "This Non-Export Solar Battery Storage interconnection application for the above customer has been assigned to me on 11/08/2017. I will be assisting you in the interconnection process. This is only an acknowledgment and I shall be sending you a Follow Up email once I have reviewed the files to make sure we have what we need to commence the Initial Review for this Non-Export project. Your application needs to be reviewed by our planning engineer...".

What is interesting is that if there is an additional comment in the email that states. "Supplemental Review: For those projects not qualifying as simplified, a supplemental review (described in Section F.2.c of Rule 21 tariff) will provide either additional interconnection requirements, or a cost estimate and schedule for a detailed interconnection study (see below). We may require more information to complete this review. Supplemental reviews are issued within 20 business days of acceptance of the complete application. A non-refundable payment of $2,500 for the supplemental review is due PG&E within 10 days of providing the Initial Review results, unless your generator is exempt from interconnection study fees."

So if a supplemental review is requires, I guess that $2500 comes out of my pocket and eats into the $9200 SGIP rebate or maybe Tesla/Solarcity will pay for it like they did with the SGIP Application Fee.

I'll update this list once I get to whatever that next step is, which should be confirmation that all documents are submitted, scheduling the final inspection, and finally payment received and deposited.
[/QUOTE]

Did anyone receive SGIP rebate yet? My Powerall was installed in July. After nearly 6 months no rebate and no TOU functionality. Why is Tesla selling the product that does not work as advertised? Time shifting is #1 use case for the Powerwall -- without it it is not economically viable, even with the rebates.

I’m in the last phase of getting my SGIP rebate.

As for TOU, Tesla has been communicating that it’s coming by end of year.

Even the FAQ says it’s coming soon so they have been communicating and we all knew this if we reviewed the faq before ordering.

As for SGIP, that’s not a Tesla issue as all they do is submit on your behalf.

Many are waiting for TOU and it’s ckming. Just hang on tight.

I’m doing my own manual TOU since Sept 13. Not ideal but it works.

Time shifting is #1 use case for the Powerwall -- without it it is not economically viable, even with the rebates.
As we live in the mountains where power outages aren't uncommon, the Powerwall's whole-home backup capability is the biggest selling point for my family. TOU load shifting is also of interest to me, both economically and because it'll help the grid integrate more renewable energy, but it's not enough by itself for us to justify acquiring a pair of Powerwalls. We really like the idea of having a backup system that requires no fuel and can be recharged by our solar panels.

Reactions: Kren