Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulations on getting your Powerwalls installed last month! That's great to hear.

Did you put down your initial deposit on August 30, or is that when you actually signed your contract following Tesla's creation of a system design?

With Tesla, I put down a $1000 deposit for two Powerwalls in late August. It took Tesla over six weeks to design our system, given their backlog, and we signed a contract in mid-October. (Meanwhile, I had a contract with a third party installer for a single Powerwall that I cancelled in early October when it became clear that they wouldn't be able to back up all of our home circuits as the contract had specified; my growing doubts about using a third party installer and only installing one Powerwall had led me to place a deposit with Tesla in August.)

After some delays and hiccups in Tesla getting a permit with the County, we were given an install date in mid-March. Based on emails from SCE that have been CC'd to us, we see that there's also been some back-and-forth on the utility interconnection agreement, but that seems to have been resolved.
Here is a timeline of my contract and install. It's a little detailed because someone else asked me for the timeline of my SGIP process.
I had to give a deposit before Tesla would even communicate with me and give me information. I had no idea I needed two Powerwalls so I got away with only a $500 deposit.
July 28th - received absurd quote from Swell Energy
July 28th - Paid deposit for one Powerwall just to get a line of communication
- Received email from Tesla asking if I would take photos of my current solar installation.
July 29th -Received info to apply for SGIP rebate application.
July 30th approx. - Emailed self evaluation and photos of PV install to Tesla.
Aug 1st - told by SGIP that if I want to self manage my own SGIP application I need to apply for Developer's Key
Aug 8th - Received notification of successful Developer's Key
Aug 10th - Received Tesla estimate for two Powerwalls and signed immediately.
- Emailed Tesla sales rep asking to supply information so I could apply for SGIP rebate on my own behalf
Aug 15th - Tesla says they are the developer according to their interpretation of the SGIP handbook. They say they will handle my rebate. But they are doubtful I can get in step 2.
Aug 16th - Emailed SGIP asking them to confirm or deny what Tesla and other installers, who all had different information, were saying.
- email from SGIP encouraging me to self apply.
Aug 17th - get confirmation from Tesla that I am in Step 3
- start of confrontation/argument/discussion/debate with Tesla that I can and will apply for SGIP on my own behalf
Aug 18th - Assurance from SGIP that Tesla has reached Developer's Cap and further encouragment to self apply.
Aug 31 - After going back and forth with negative communications from Tesla and positive communications from SGIP, I finally decided to proceed with the SGIP process without Tesla's approval.
- SGIP application submitted and process officially begins. Given SGIP application number.
Sept 1 - SGIP application goes from RRF submitted to RRF Review
Sept 12 - Tesla asked for a document.
Sept 14 - SGIP asked for missing documents and clarifications
Sept 19 - Received email and phone calls from Solar City asking me to set up an install date.
- within a week or two I notify Solar City I will not install without rebate confirmation which should be when step 3 opens.
Sept 20 - Received SGIP email saying my application was status RRF Technical review after receiving all requested documents.
Sept 28 - Received interconnection and other docusign documents from Tesla
Oct 13 - After consulting with a few other homeowner SGIP self submitters, I asked SGIP if I could resubmit a document.
- SGIP application in Suspended status until I resubmit Preliminary Monitoring Plan (PMP).
Oct 16 - SGIP status back to RRF Technical Review after I submit revised PMP.
- After email query, SGIP responds that the review process should take 10 days.
Oct 25th - Email to SGIP asking for my rebate application status and progress.
Oct 26 - I receive communication from an SGIP manager for an unrelated to me SGIP issue. I start a line of communication and many questions asked as well as ask about my rebate application status.
Oct 31 - received email from SGIP that rebate has been unofficially approved and to please wait another 10 days for official confirmation.
- Contacted Tesla/Solar City and told them I was ready to install.
Nov 3 - Given new Tesla Rep
- Begin of actual design review, changes and discussions.

Oct 31-Nov 7th approx. - Appointment set for December 7th, Solar City electrician inspection, Dec 14th Main Panel upgrade, Dec 21Powerwall install.
Nov 21 - Official SGIP rebate reserved confirmation letter received.
Nov 22-Dec 1 approx. - Main Panel upgrade rescheduled to Dec 20.
Dec 7,20,21 - partial main panel upgrade installed after partial powerwall install because of hiccup with the city
Dec 22 - test and city inspection
Dec 27th - Tesla Invoice sent
Dec 29-31 approx - Solar City plaster's drywall and final city (waterproofing?) inspection
Jan 3rd- self-submit ICF form and documents.
Jan 8th - Tesla submits Interconnection documents
Jan 17th - notfication from SCE that Tesla didn't fill out Interconnection forms properly therefore request not approved.
Jan 17th - SGIP suspends ICF, asks for corrected Interconnection documents.
Jan 18th - Tesla resubmits corrected documents to SCE
Jan 19th - present - waiting for confirmation that Interconnection documents re-submitted by Tesla have been accepted by SCE.

Does anyone know if Tesla’s queue of waiting customers right now exceeds the last two SGIP rebate steps (4 and 5)? Step 4 opens up next month but it is possible that Tesla already has a long list of customers with signed purchase agreements waiting to use up those rebates when they become available.
According to folks on this forum https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/powerwall-2-sgip-incentives.9897 who came late to the SGIP rebate game, Tesla is now telling it's potential customers in California that they have so many people in their queue that they have reached their Developer's Cap (meaning they can't submit anymore rebates for it's customers) for all steps (there are 5 steps) of the SGIP rebate even though the SGIP program still has funds available for step 2. Step 3 won't open until step 2s funds are used up.

This is what I suspected, and have been trying to talk with someone at Tesla that could confirm that over the past week. Tesla should simply state this on the PW website so people don’t waste their time with Tesla if they want the SGIP rebate. However, as others have said, other contractors that do have SGIP availability are writing estimates so high that it may be less expensive to buy the PW through Tesla without the SGIP rebate. I have two estimates from other contractors and even with the Step 4 SGIP rebate factored in to their estimates, my net cost would be a few hundred less with one contractor, and with the other contractor the net cost would be a few thousand more.

My question is, is it worth pursuing the SGIP rebate for a few hundred dollars? Doing so seems to add a considerable amount of delay based on what I have read on this forum. Also, I believe there are some restrictions placed upon SGIP installations and PW usage that would not affect a non-SGIP installation. One poster mentioned that Tesla is quicker about doing the installation if you tell them that you are not interested in the SGIP rebate. Please post your thoughts about why you believe it is better to not pursue the SGIP rebate at this stage of the game.

According to folks on this forum https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/powerwall-2-sgip-incentives.9897 who came late to the SGIP rebate game, Tesla is now telling it's potential customers in California that they have so many people in their queue that they have reached their Developer's Cap (meaning they can't submit anymore rebates for it's customers) for all steps (there are 5 steps) of the SGIP rebate even though the SGIP program still has funds available for step 2. Step 3 won't open until step 2s funds are used up.

This is what I suspected, and have been trying to talk with someone at Tesla that could confirm that over the past week. Tesla should simply state this on the PW website so people don’t waste their time with Tesla if they want the SGIP rebate. However, as others have said, other contractors that do have SGIP availability are writing estimates so high that it may be less expensive to buy the PW through Tesla without the SGIP rebate. I have two estimates from other contractors and even with the Step 4 SGIP rebate factored in to their estimates, my net cost would be a few hundred less with one contractor, and with the other contractor the net cost would be a few thousand more.

My question is, is it worth pursuing the SGIP rebate for a few hundred dollars? Doing so seems to add a considerable amount of delay based on what I have read on this forum. Also, I believe there are some restrictions placed upon SGIP installations and PW usage that would not affect a non-SGIP installation. One poster mentioned that Tesla is quicker about doing the installation if you tell them that you are not interested in the SGIP rebate. Please post your thoughts about why you believe it is better to not pursue the SGIP rebate at this stage of the game.
I noticed that you are in San Diego so your utility is SCE? I would suggest, although a lot of folks may disagree, that you attempt to apply for the rebate yourself, getting into step 2. Try and get your Developer's Key. If you can get that you might have a chance of getting your application approved. But getting SGIP rebate approval means that you have to basically install with the chance of not getting final approval. Which is the boat I am in right now but I am still in the queue for a rebate with Tesla if my own endeavors don't work out.

So, I reserved a PowerWall 2 way back around April, and managed to get in the SGIP step 2 and received the official rebate reservation confirmation a couple of months back. I've been holding off calling to get the installation scheduled as the PW will strictly be for TOU arbitrage (I have no PV system). I wanted to make sure Tesla got their app updated to support this, which always seems to be a month away. Am I understanding correctly now that if Tesla does the installation, I will not be eligible to receive the SGIP rebate? The "official rebate reservation confirmation" makes no difference?

Man, this whole process has been a convoluted mess. Kren's detailed timeline above is a testament (thank you very much for posting by the way). Not sure I'm interested in getting the PW2 without the rebate, and without jacked up installation costs to offset it either.

I noticed that you are in San Diego so your utility is SCE? I would suggest, although a lot of folks may disagree, that you attempt to apply for the rebate yourself, getting into step 2. Try and get your Developer's Key. If you can get that you might have a chance of getting your application approved. But getting SGIP rebate approval means that you have to basically install with the chance of not getting final approval. Which is the boat I am in right now but I am still in the queue for a rebate with Tesla if my own endeavors don't work out.
Kren and I represent two homeowner developers without the 100% guarantee of funds (from Los Angeles / San Francisco area). For San Diego, I highly recommend talking verbally to your utility's SGIP lead. If his/her response is near an absolute certainty that you are the ideal recipient of funds (meeting all qualifications), then I'd recommend continuing as Kren stated. The homeowner developer route was a 40-60hr effort total (3-4 quotes, cost estimating, energy use analysis, photos, design, visits, conduct home energy audit, application, preliminary monitoring plan (which is more comprehensive than the title indicates: includes photos, design, energy usage assessment, etc.), following up, updating docs with program changes, plus a lot of reading). PG&E has not been enthusiastic with me qualifying for the rebate. I am also in a queue in case this doesn't work out.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that I would not pursue the SGIP rebate for just a few hundred dollars, due to the overall complexity that it adds to the experience of acquiring and owning Powerwalls. I would say the same thing about the 30% federal ITC.

I told Tesla that while I'd prefer to get the SGIP rebate, I'd like to go ahead and install our two Powerwalls regardless. My attitude is, let's just get the Powerwalls installed and let Tesla deal with SGIP, and if that doesn't work out, I can assess our options at a later date. The worst case is that we end up with a very cool, zero-local-emissions backup and TOU load shifting system that, while more than double the price of a fuel-based backup-only system, helps support the growth of battery storage as a way to increase the overall use of renewable energy. Compared to acquiring Tesla vehicles, we're not talking about a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Thank you all for the suggestions. Has anyone on this forum attempted to do get a Developer’s Key in San Diego working with SDG&E and the Center for Sustainable Energy? Kren and SoundDaTrumpet are in SF and LA area and I’m wondering how difficult it is to take this route in San Diego. From reading other posts, it seems that some utilities such as PG&E are not very helpful if a homeowner tries to manage the rebate as a Developer.

I’m curious about why you are saying the same thing about the Federal ITC. Isn’t that completely in our control, and only requires filing the appropriate tax forms to receive the credit on federal taxes? Or am I missing something regarding the ITC?

I'm pretty sure that I would not pursue the SGIP rebate for just a few hundred dollars, due to the overall complexity that it adds to the experience of acquiring and owning Powerwalls. I would say the same thing about the 30% federal ITC.

I’m curious about why you are saying the same thing about the Federal ITC. Isn’t that completely in our control, and only requires filing the appropriate tax forms to receive the credit on federal taxes? Or am I missing something regarding the ITC?
When you claim the ITC, you basically agree to charge the batteries with your renewable generation only. Well, it's a little more complex than that, but I wouldn't trade my ability to charge from the grid for a modest rebate. For thousands of dollars, sure.

When you claim the ITC, you basically agree to charge the batteries with your renewable generation only. Well, it's a little more complex than that, but I wouldn't trade my ability to charge from the grid for a modest rebate. For thousands of dollars, sure.

One note: I asked my installation contact about this, and he said even if you don't take the ITC, Tesla will not provision the powerwalls to charge from the grid if you have solar. According to him, you can only charge your Powerwalls from solar if you have a solar system. I don't know if this will change when they release TOU, but he implied that it would not. I don't think these guys really know what they're talking about, though, so it may not turn out to be true.

One note: I asked my installation contact about this, and he said even if you don't take the ITC, Tesla will not provision the powerwalls to charge from the grid if you have solar. According to him, you can only charge your Powerwalls from solar if you have a solar system. I don't know if this will change when they release TOU, but he implied that it would not. I don't think these guys really know what they're talking about, though, so it may not turn out to be true.
That may be true today, but the Powerwall software may evolve significantly during the coming years. I'm not pinning my hopes on this, but it seems to be well within the realm of possibility.

Personally, I'd like to have the ability to "top off" the batteries during periods of high wind and/or winter weather when grid outages are more likely. It would be cool if the Powerwall software could automatically look at the weather forecast, our solar production, and our usage patterns, and bump up the "reserve" whenever needed.

As stated by abasile, for 30% ITC ,you need to charge your powerwall from renewable energy. See attached doc.

Attachments

• Federal Tax Incentives for Battery Storage Systems, NREL.pdf
    184.3 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: abasile
So, I reserved a PowerWall 2 way back around April, and managed to get in the SGIP step 2 and received the official rebate reservation confirmation a couple of months back. I've been holding off calling to get the installation scheduled as the PW will strictly be for TOU arbitrage (I have no PV system). I wanted to make sure Tesla got their app updated to support this, which always seems to be a month away. Am I understanding correctly now that if Tesla does the installation, I will not be eligible to receive the SGIP rebate? The "official rebate reservation confirmation" makes no difference?

Man, this whole process has been a convoluted mess. Kren's detailed timeline above is a testament (thank you very much for posting by the way). Not sure I'm interested in getting the PW2 without the rebate, and without jacked up installation costs to offset it either.
You have a contract with Tesla and they confirmed to you that you are in their Step 2 queue. So you are okay. The problems mentioned are for those customers who are now too late. They don't yet have a contract and/or they have specifically been told by Tesla that they cannot submit a rebate for them. But, you might want to call Tesla and let them know you are still interested and want to stay in the queue for your Step 2 rebate. This forum got off track. They really should move all this SGIP stuff to the Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives post so it doesn't start to confuse people.

It's true. I tried to do that very thing. Wanted to top up my powerwalls from the grid for our first and only storm so far this year here in Ventura county. There is no way to do it. If anyone knows a hack, let me know.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Has anyone on this forum attempted to do get a Developer’s Key in San Diego working with SDG&E and the Center for Sustainable Energy? Kren and SoundDaTrumpet are in SF and LA area and I’m wondering how difficult it is to take this route in San Diego. From reading other posts, it seems that some utilities such as PG&E are not very helpful if a homeowner tries to manage the rebate as a Developer.
The SGIP, unlike Tesla's is very helpful. I agree, you should definitely call/email them. They typically get back to you quickly through email. Just a heads up, don't let them know you have decided on Tesla. Tell them you are researching various battery manufacturers and options(which you are) and want a developer's key. They want to see you are taking an active role in the development of your project. You might be the first in your area to even inquire about this.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike

I told Tesla that while I'd prefer to get the SGIP rebate, I'd like to go ahead and install our two Powerwalls regardless. My attitude is, let's just get the Powerwalls installed and let Tesla deal with SGIP, and if that doesn't work out, I can assess our options at a later date. The worst case is that we end up with a very cool, zero-local-emissions backup and TOU load shifting system that, while more than double the price of a fuel-based backup-only system, helps support the growth of battery storage as a way to increase the overall use of renewable energy. Compared to acquiring Tesla vehicles, we're not talking about a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things.
I agree with you...except that when you get the SGIP rebate, the powerwall is the same price as a fuel based system. That was our deciding factor in pursuing a Tesla Powerwall with rebate. In fact with the rebate and the ITC credit, the powerwall system for us will be slightly cheaper than the equivalent fuel-based system. I'm just saying...it can be a worthwhile endeavor to pursue getting a rebate.

The SGIP, unlike Tesla's is very helpful. I agree, you should definitely call/email them. They typically get back to you quickly through email. Just a heads up, don't let them know you have decided on Tesla. Tell them you are researching various battery manufacturers and options(which you are) and want a developer's key. They want to see you are taking an active role in the development of your project. You might be the first in your area to even inquire about this.
That seems like good advice, even though the Powerwall 2 is objectively the best value in home energy storage, and even though Tesla beats all of the known competition on installation prices.