Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall and Gateway prices in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone recently had a Powerwall 2 and Gateway installed in the UK, and would be willing to share the costs of what they paid?

I'm looking to have a singe Powerwall 2 and Gateway installed with Qty 4 LG 375W panels with micro-inverters. I already have Qty 16 250W panels and a 4kW inverter.

Also, has anyone tried using Phase 2 for the off-peak supply in the Gateway to ensure mains isolation should the grid fail?

I'm keen for this to be done ASAP.

Thanks,

Paid just shy of £9000 in April 2021 for supply and install of Powerwall 2 and Gateway including VAT from a local supplier. Already had solar panels and inverter. Had a 6 month wait for the Powerwall to be shipped, went out of stock in UK while we were confirming our order.

Your Phase 2 question is meaningless to me. Have used it off grid during power outages, switch over was noticeable but fast. The Gateway 2 provides the grid isolation, that's what it does and has approval for UK use.

We are very happy with the Powerwall, but the app to control well it is very poorly designed. Don't believe what Tesla say about it learning and optimising, it will randomly charge from the grid at peak rate etc., go into standby and generally drive you mad. We now have a script running on RPi to try and get basic management of using it for load shifting in winter.

Looking now I would consider Givenergy instead of Tesla - cheaper, UK based and sounds way more user controllable.

Hope that is helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: RedMod3
Thanks xWren, I'm waiting for my three quotes to come in. I'm adding 4 extra panels to get the VAT rate for the install down to 5% for the whole system.

I would only want to charge the Powerwall during my 4-hour cheap off-peak period. When I get more info, I'll post it here.

Are powerwalls still on long lead times, or have they gone out of stock altogether with the hope of the Powerwall 3 coming to the UK?

I've considered the GivEnergy battery, but the max discharge rate of the Tesla Powerwall at 5kW is what's swaying me towards Tesla. I believe the GivEnergy can only discharge at 2.6kW which seems a bit pointless, as you'll be frequently topping up from the grid at peak times.

I’m waiting in quotes for Powerwalls and other batteries. One company said off-hand “oh yes, Powerwalls have a 6-9month lead time.” I will wait to see what the others say.

I have ran some numbers and although the 3kW output limit of normal battery inverters sounds low, it does cover a lot of our usage.

And there is always the option to have two batteries and two inverters. I think with Givenergy you could have 2x 8.2kWh batteries and two 3kW inverters for just a bit more than a Powerwall. Maybe. I haven’t looked into all the DNO limitations yet. Waiting to see what the various companies come back with. Clearly they are all very busy right now. More than a week for a preliminary quote from some of them here in Hertfordshire

The company I got to quote took nearly 2 weeks to quote, and are saying August. It makes me wonder if waiting for the Powerwall 3 would be a better option, and using something like the Sunamp in the meantime to store the excess solar in the hot water. Seems a shame to miss out on all the summer generation for the sake of waiting for the Tesla battery vs. another brand.

The company I got to quote took nearly 2 weeks to quote, and are saying August. It makes me wonder if waiting for the Powerwall 3 would be a better option, and using something like the Sunamp in the meantime to store the excess solar in the hot water. Seems a shame to miss out on all the summer generation for the sake of waiting for the Tesla battery vs. another brand.
One season of generation is not that big of a deal. Buying the wrong battery system is a much bigger deal. There are no indications of Powerwall 3 actually being a thing that is on the horizon or what improvements it might include. So, getting in the queue for a Powerwall 2 is probably your smartest move.

There are good reasons to choose another battery system over the Powerwall, especially in the UK, but I don't find your reasoning above to be logical.

I ordered solar and Powerwall at the end of April. Still waiting on DNO approval for the solar, but the Powerwall has moved from Dec 22 install to March 23
I’m not expecting it until next year. The solar is being install in a few weeks and the PW is part of the order so the VAT is lower. I was thinking of switching battery make but I want to .10-.12p Kw Tesla energy plan as our energy bill will be considerably cheaper.