Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall and Solar iBoost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone got any experience of running a Powerwall with a Solar iBoost?

My PV system is up and running but Powerwall doesn't arrive until December. In the meantime I am looking at installing an iboost to utilise the excess solar, but would this still work for excess solar when the Powerwall arrives and it is (say), fully charged?

I'm trying to get my head around how the iBoost will take excess solar after the battery is full (and only then), and won't conflict with the battery also wanting the excess.

i.e - If the PW is full, and we have excess solar, then the iBoost will cut in - but then would the battery see that as a house load, and when the excess solar isn't there any more, would the iBoost stay on and be supplied by the battery?

I don’t own one but if I recall correctly from my research.

Basically you set the export threshold (say 100w) on the iboost to be higher than your battery storage (say 0w). Therefore the iboost can’t kick in until you start exporting over 100w. The batteries soak up the export first, followed by the iboost.

An EV charger can’t kick in below 6A (1.4kw) so that will always be bottom of the list for excess export.

Reactions: btc1k
Thanks, yes I saw that in the settings, min 100w and adjustable to 500w.

Just trying to understand what then happens when it switches itself on and the PW excess stops. If the battery then takes over the house load, how does the iBoost know to stop?

It probably works on the same principle as an Eddi.
Panels run the house and PW fills first. Once full, iBoost uses any solar surplus above the house load. If the house load increases beyond solar the iBoost cuts out. Once tank temperature is reached iBoost will cut out and resume when temperature drops

Panels run the house and PW fills first. Once full, iBoost uses any solar surplus above the house load.

I had a Zappi installed for the same sort of reason - once PowerWall full divert any excess to charge the car. In case anyone else is installing quite a lot of panels then: I hadn't fully thought it through

PowerWall charges at a very fast rate (much faster than the overnight / Off Peak rate, which is deemed to be the "Good for battery longevity" rate). PV may generate more than that MAX which then serves the house, and if there is any Export then Zappi wakes up and charges the car.

Once the PowerWall is full it then diverts to charge the car.

At peak output my PV generates enough to run the house and charge two EVs flat out ... so a single Zappi isn't the whole answer!!

I'm now charging the car as soon as there is "good enough sun" at sufficient AMPs that the PowerWalls still charge up, but at a more comfortable rate. I therefore don't get the situation of force-charging the powerwalls and then having to charge 2 x EV at once (or exporting of course). But judging what rate to charge the EV such that the PowerWall has best chance of getting to 100% by end of day is a challenge, and really needs some software to hand that rather than me + APP doing it crudely / manually, and WAY better cloud-density forecasting than I get off the BBC !