TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Powerwall as the sole source of power?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Eclectic, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I am about to build a small cabin (maybe 500 sq ft) on some very remote land. There's no electricity or other utilities at or near the land (including water/sewer). I suspect I'll have a small fridge, some lights, maybe a tv and laptop (with a satellite internet connection).

I know there's a lot of info needed, but assuming that the location would be a good site for a solar system, would a Powerwall be able to function as a sole source of energy for what I'm thinking about? If there are things I need to consider (which I'm sure there are many), I'd love to hear what I should be thinking about.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would think it definitely would be capable of running a small fridge, some lights, and a laptop and router during the hours when your PV system wasn't putting out enough energy. Be sure and size your PV such that it can fully charge the Powerwall even on cloudy days. And keep in mind that currently in the US the highest capacity inverter that Tesla says is compatible with the Powerwall is the SolarEdge 7600 which can handle a max of 7.6kW. So no point in building a PV system too much bigger than 7.6kW.

• Informative x 1
  3. Alketi

Alketi Member

Yes, 7kWh should be more than enough for what you described. My power draw is about 11kWh for a Cape with a large refrigerator, plasma television, two cable boxes, computer, electric stove, etc. etc.

The danger would be if you get consecutive cloudy/rainy days.

• Informative x 1
  4. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

Thanks for the responses!

5. miimura

miimura Active Member

Powerwall is not designed for this. You would be much better off with an integrated system that is designed to be off-grid. Those support things like backup generators that automatically kick in if the battery gets low, and dump loads when the battery gets full.