Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall - Availability and Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to hear peoples current wait times, experiences and pricing on Powerwall's here in the UK.

I have my first coming in February 2022, £8,000 inc vat.

Looking at a second and been quoted £9280 with June 2023 delivery.

Last edited:
I thought the 2nd (and 3rd etc.) powerwalls were cheaper because you use the same backup gateway and the installation is simpler? (just connect the new powerwall to the gateway as opposed to all the work to do with wiring in the gateway to your home)

Reactions: btc1k
Surely if you can install it along with ONE solar panel that will zero-rate your VAT?
Now we're into VAT regulations and they sure love complexity.

I believe it is like this - batteries are not an energy saving material (ESM), and so do not qualify for 0% VAT.

However solar panels are... and where ancillary goods are supplied (a battery), to the ESM (the panels), these may qualify for 0% VAT if they are provided at the same time and provide a better means of enjoying the main supply (the panels).

The examples used by HMRC are things like cutting a new loft hatch to fit new loft insulation (all 0%).
Fitting a battery to a solar system is clearly within the meaning.

However, ordering a second battery at £8k, with one solar panel (£150), clearly fails the test of being ancillary to the main supply of the new ESM.

These things always come down to interpretation. Would be in my interest to save 20% VAT but I don't read the VAT reg that way... anyway...

Be good to hear if anyone manages to get batteries at 0% VAT with one panel.... Now to find the cheapest single panel 🤣 🙏

I thought the 2nd (and 3rd etc.) powerwalls were cheaper because you use the same backup gateway and the installation is simpler? (just connect the new powerwall to the gateway as opposed to all the work to do with wiring in the gateway to your home)
yes only one gateway but the PW has to connect in to it. Depends on location and layout. Each PW connects separately to a Consumer unit
It should be cheaper than first install

yes only one gateway but the PW has to connect in to it. Depends on location and layout. Each PW connects separately to a Consumer unit
It should be cheaper than first install
Interesting, when they connected my second PW, they connected it to the Gateway, which has a breaker in for each PW. The data cables are connected as a string with a terminating resistor on the last PW.