Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall availability for Third Party Installers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seemed to have missed that bit in the supplied documentation. Do you have a reference?

All the best,

BG

2.6.3 Extensions and Exceptions
Extension requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and should be submitted in writing to the
appropriate Program Administrator for review. Any extension granted to either the Proof of Project Milestone
or Request for Proposal due date will not extend the reservation expiration date.
All projects will be limited to a maximum of three 6-month extensions of the reservation expiration date,
after which the reservation expires automatically.22 Extensions will be for special circumstances only.
Additionally, extensions will not be granted to projects that have not made satisfactory progress toward
completion in compliance with established milestones and requirements. Any request for a second or third
extension of the reservation expiration date requires unanimous SGIP Working Group approval, and the
SGIP Working Group shall notify Applicants of the SGIP Working Group’s decision in writing within 30 days.
When considering a request for a second or third reservation expiration extension, the SGIP Working Group
will consider:
1) Whether the project’s delay is outside the control of the Host Customer;
2) Whether the project has made significant progress toward completion, and a timeline is provided
showing the expected date of commissioning of the project and that interconnection of the project will fall
within the third six-month extension of the project’s reservation expiration date;
3) Whether the extension of the project’s reservation expiration date will affect

page 23

of the SGIP handbook v9

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
@Vines, grrr, not fair!

If it makes you feel better, the Sunrun engineer I had on site to do the final walk-through with the county said he's personally been trying to get a Powerwall for months to no avail. He was kind of pissed I had 3 on my wall. I guess Tesla is re-working their contract with Sunrun. If this goes the same way that Tesla screwed their clean-energy partner, Home Depot, a few years ago... it's likely we'll see Sunrun stop advertising Tesla Powerwalls for resiliency soon.

If it makes you feel better, the Sunrun engineer I had on site to do the final walk-through with the county said he's personally been trying to get a Powerwall for months to no avail. He was kind of pissed I had 3 on my wall. I guess Tesla is re-working their contract with Sunrun. If this goes the same way that Tesla screwed their clean-energy partner, Home Depot, a few years ago... it's likely we'll see Sunrun stop advertising Tesla Powerwalls for resiliency soon.

I personally hated someone trying to sell me tesla solar every time I passed by them in home depot, that was horrible... but I dont like it in any form (like someone trying to sell air conditioners as you exit a costco, for example). That entire model is worthless, and in my opinion, predatory.

I am also the guy who uses my video doorbell to tell anyone trying to sell me something door to door "no thank you", and when they attempt to start talking about "well, your neighbors...." I tell them "I have a personal policy that I wont buy anything sold door to door, except girl scout cookies, so no thank you".

err... realize i am on soapbox here, but back to what you said, that process of attemping to jump on people in home depot needed to go, and tesla probably saw that too. I doubt they got good "qualified leads" from it anyway.

I just do not think people realize that it seems the demand for PW's is way way way over what they can produce!!! It is amazing Tesla has note done a huge price increase since it probably would not impact demand much. Especially if folks get "discounts" on them.

I signed a contract in late September for 2 Powerwalls and they advised at the time that it would probably be late Feb for equipment. I asked for an update on Friday and they reconfirmed that timeline was still accurate based on recent communication from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
I recall a few months back a few people wanting solar/PWs asking when they should order since new orders were at that time getting a 2021Q1 anticipated install date. I think the vast majority here said order right then so they at least get on a waiting list for install, as any price reductions, if they were to happen, would be adjusted if lowered but they would be locked in if prices went up. And if newer equipment came out, their order would automatically be updated while waiting. Plus we expected installations to take off this year per Elon so the install wait times could very well likely get longer. Maintaining inventory and having enough trained crew has contributed to install delays and likely to still be an issue.

With PW pricing having gone up, demand outstripping supply leaving people waiting longer for install, and some installs now getting the new Tesla inverter on their order (its limited to two different sized inverters) I think that was pretty good advice.

Last edited:
They have, but it is actually a more targeted increase than the article seems to note - namely everybody not also installing solar at the same time. If you get a solar panel or solar roof quote and add PWs, it used to be a flat $1k discount for doing both at the same time. However, now it is $1.5k with 1 PW, $2k with 2 PW, and an extra $500 for each PW. So, effectively, there is no increase for PWs bundled with Tesla solar.

So it looks like if anything they are using the increase to drive more business to them and away from third parties (and also provide more incentive for solar customers to add PWs at the time of solar.)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin