Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Backorders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had one PW installed in February 2020. A few months later, I realized I need a second one for my 12k solar system. Ordered it from my same local third-party installer around the first of June.

A few months later, installer told me they're backordered until first quarter of 2021. Well, here we are and Tesla is telling the installer in an email that, "We are trying to get older orders fulfilled but right now we do not expect any serious progress against our backlog until April or May."

How long have people been waiting for PWs ordered since June? What time estimates are being given? Thanks.

FWIW: I signed a contract for powerwalls in May, 2020. Current delivery time is being given as late Q2, or late Q3 2021 by Tesla for the last four months. YMMV, of course, and I have heard that some installers have been receiving more units, but just hearsay.

All the best,

BG

Also, how have the price changes affected backorders? PW has had two $500 price increases since I ordered. Does Tesla honor the original price at time of order?
If you ordered directly from Tesla, yes. Since you ordered through a third-party, you would have to verify, though I would expect that the third-party placed an order on your behalf at the time and Tesla will honor (and be obliterated) to provide it at the agreed price. (Now, if for some reason your installer did not place a firm order with Tesla, that could be a different situation.)

If Tesla is selling goods wholesale to their partners at the previous 2020 rates, you will probably have a strong chance to also pay the old rate.

But in all likelihood Tesla is increasing the partner rates that didn’t have a long lead purchase agreement. From what I understand, Sunrun didn’t even have a long lead PO... and they had to go back to renegotiate contract terms.

Legally, I think it’d be tough to get the 2020 pricing unless you signed a contract or at least a letter of understanding with the old pricing listed and no expiration date.

Think it was mid-2020, I was told to expect delivery in 2021 Q2. In Q2, about a month ago, I was told Q3. After reading stories about Tesla not meeting contractual prices on roofs, I'm not expecting my mid-2020 price to hold whenever I do get the battery. Think there's been two $500 increases in last several months.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I used a third-party certified installer for the Powerwalls (2) last May. Because they improperly designed the system, around June they said they would install a third, and shortly thereafter said PWs were backordered. The third PW was finally installed last month, so abut a 10-11 month lag time. When you get it is probably dependent on several factors, though mostly luck. It's unclear whether using Tesla or a third-party, and whether a small or larger third-party installer, makes a difference unless the install is by Tesla with solar.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Any updates on the current backlog for nonTesla installations? Just curious... May 2020 order and no estimate for delivery and installaction.

All the best,

BG

At least part of this seems to be which third party you used, and their relationship with tesla. Just from reading these boards, there seem to be people who started way after you but got installed. Perhaps in your case its not all on tesla but also on your third party either dropping the ball, or pushing your install to the back burner for some reason?

At least part of this seems to be which third party you used, and their relationship with tesla. Just from reading these boards, there seem to be people who started way after you but got installed. Perhaps in your case its not all on tesla but also on your third party either dropping the ball, or pushing your install to the back burner for some reason?
I agree.

Since I don't communicate directly with Tesla, I don't know for sure, which is why I was asking, but my installer has forwarded emails purportedly from Tesla acknowledging the delays in supply, but without Tesla committing to improving.

Based on what I have seen here, it would appear that some installers are perhaps in Tesla preferred regions and are getting more supplies, and some installers have a better relationship (longer relationship? More powerwalls sold?) with Tesla and getting regular shipments. Whatever it is, it isn't FIFO, which makes Tesla's business practices interesting, like the whole solar roof repricing affair (fiasco?). It doesn't make sense to me from a business perspective. I could understand stiffing all third parties in favor of internal sales (I am not saying it is right, just that I could see how an employee might make that decision), but some rather than other third parties?

My permits have been approved for more than six months, so it isn't that.

My third party contractor is Tesla approved for all products, Powerwalls, roofs, as well as panels, and they aren't a mom and pop, so it isn't obvious to me why they are slow at receiving ordered Powerwalls. My contractor tells me that current Powerwall orders are being told late 2022(ish) for installation, but that is, of course, based on Tesla's forecasts to them, or so they tell me.

Recycled Leaf batteries are starting to look pretty attractive....

All the best,

BG

I agree.

Since I don't communicate directly with Tesla, I don't know for sure, which is why I was asking, but my installer has forwarded emails purportedly from Tesla acknowledging the delays in supply, but without Tesla committing to improving.

Based on what I have seen here, it would appear that some installers are perhaps in Tesla preferred regions and are getting more supplies, and some installers have a better relationship (longer relationship? More powerwalls sold?) with Tesla and getting regular shipments. Whatever it is, it isn't FIFO, which makes Tesla's business practices interesting, like the whole solar roof repricing affair (fiasco?). It doesn't make sense to me from a business perspective. I could understand stiffing all third parties in favor of internal sales (I am not saying it is right, just that I could see how an employee might make that decision), but some rather than other third parties?

My permits have been approved for more than six months, so it isn't that.

My third party contractor is Tesla approved for all products, Powerwalls, roofs, as well as panels, and they aren't a mom and pop, so it isn't obvious to me why they are slow at receiving ordered Powerwalls. My contractor tells me that current Powerwall orders are being told late 2022(ish) for installation, but that is, of course, based on Tesla's forecasts to them, or so they tell me.

Recycled Leaf batteries are starting to look pretty attractive....

All the best,

BG

Like you say, stiffing "some" third parties doesnt make a lot of sense, while stiffing "all" does ( even if it isnt right ). I could see, however, some sort of algorithm based on units sold, etc like car manufacturers do with dealer allocations for new cars.

There just seems to be something strange with your case, to me. You are in the bay area, so nor cal. From the outside here, for example, it appears even some members here have started after you did in Northern california, but been installed before you. Lot of variables there, including which installer used, etc but it just feels like you have been "back burnered" for some reason by your installer. Either that, or they are selling WAAAY more installs than they could ever hope to fulfill.

I have nothing to go on at all other than it seems strange that you would be waiting this long, when the product actually exists, and others are getting installed, including it appears some that have third party installs.

In any case, I am hoping they get product for you soon. I had an incredibly hard time waiting the relatively little amount of time I did wait ( October 2019 to Jan 2020). I couldnt imagine waiting that long and not canceling and going with someone else, even if it wasnt their fault.

Yes, I don't get it either. You may be right that they sold boatloads last spring and are still catching up. As far as I know, I haven't knowingly alienated my installer. So, who knows?

Well, I have a small incentive to stick with my current installer...SGIP.

However, I don't want to be in another fire season without backup batteries, so I am starting to research alternatives and make new plans.

PG&E cut power this morning with no warning, and no explanation. It just gets old. Wind speed was all of five mph.

All the best,

BG

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
There is something very strange about the Powerwall backorders. There are definitely Powerwalls out there, Tesla doesn’t seem to be allocating them uniformly. Tesla doesn’t install in my state, but I got quotes from a couple different third-party installers. One company said it would be a while before they could get any and they were trying to steer me to a enphase brand battery. The second company that I ended up going with had a bunch in stock from recent shipments and it only took a month and a half from me signing the contract to get installation and PTO for solar + 2 Powerwalls. I saw a picture showing 34 Powerwalls in their warehouse.

Here is a quote from my sales rep- “ We have plenty of Powerwalls. Some of the ones here in the back are wrapped and reserved but we have ones available in the back as well as more on scheduled shipments. In Oct we received 40, Nov 30, Dec 30, Jan 35 ,Feb 50. Expecting more , March 50, April 35, May 50, June 50 so lots on the way too. I have heard some other installers were having trouble the end of last year sourcing the equipment. We have a great relationship with Tesla and they have also pulled jobs from less experienced installers and had us step in with level two technical when a houses wiring was too complicated for other guys to tackle.”