Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Backorders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a SGIP contract with a 3rd party. No powerwalls for the last 9 months. I was told yesterday that there is now a chip shortage. My concerns are that I have until October to complete the SGIP process to get the rebate. I have asked the installer if that date can be extended due to supplier issues. The installer is pissed because they have several installs hung up due to this. Their engineering team is now looking into alternatives. As a Model Y owner I feel that I am getting shafted.

I have a SGIP contract with a 3rd party. No powerwalls for the last 9 months. I was told yesterday that there is now a chip shortage. My concerns are that I have until October to complete the SGIP process to get the rebate. I have asked the installer if that date can be extended due to supplier issues. The installer is pissed because they have several installs hung up due to this. Their engineering team is now looking into alternatives. As a Model Y owner I feel that I am getting shafted.

You should be able to receive three separate extensions from your original RRF. So when you near the 1 year anniversary mark, your installer can submit a request to SGIP to extend your project while you keep your spot in line.

SGIP is also looking at adding even more extension time since some applicants are even maxing out the 3 standard extensions.

1621032186201.png

You should be able to receive three separate extensions from your original RRF. So when you near the 1 year anniversary mark, your installer can submit a request to SGIP to extend your project while you keep your spot in line.

SGIP is also looking at adding even more extension time since some applicants are even maxing out the 3 standard extensions.

View attachment 662368
Projects that have exhausted the maximum of three 6-month extensions and require additional time to complete the installation due to issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic may be granted a stay on the cancellation not to exceed one (1) year from the project’s Reservation Expiration Date. Program participants seeking additional time due to COVID-19 delays must submit a written request with verifiable information that clearly demonstrates the project was progressing in a timely manner prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. Similar to a second or third extension request, any request for a stay of cancellation requires unanimous SGIP Working Group approval, and the SGIP Working Group shall notify Applicants within 30 days of a submitted request. When considering a request for a stay of cancellation, the SGIP Working Group will consider:

Reactions: Stevie Jewel
Lol, all I pictured was you getting a call from this guy or gal.

View attachment 671290

This reminds me, VERY early in my working career when I was working on an IT helpdesk, sometimes if someone was like "I want to talk to the manager!" myself and a few other experienced workers who knew how to carry on a conversation would say "of course" and just transfer the call to one of our friends.

That person would make the person feel good, say all the "of course sir / ma'am, I will get right on that, I will reprimand XXXXX" or whatever and then get them off the phone and we would chuckle about it. I think I was maybe 21-22 at the time and the help desk had dozens of people but there were 3-4 of us who passed these calls around and never got caught. I was "the manager" many times, before I was actually "the manager" somewhere else.

FWIW: I signed a contract for powerwalls in May, 2020. Current delivery time is being given as late Q2, or late Q3 2021 by Tesla for the last four months. YMMV, of course, and I have heard that some installers have been receiving more units, but just hearsay.

All the best,

BG

I wonder if Powerwalls are being hit by the chip shortage. Apple has forecast lower sales for the next few quarters because of the shortage. And Ford has cut the forecast for pickup deliveries for the year and has a backlog of 22,000+ mostly completed F-series pickups sitting in storage at a racetrack awaiting electronic components.
@jboy210 wins the prize for the latest excuse from Tesla.
"Due to chip shortages Powerwall shipments for June are suspended, and no commitment as to a date when shipments might resume or what the quantities might be shipped."

Of course, Powerwall+ shipments seem to be continuing to others and Powerwalls are being offered for solar roofs...so clearly some chips are getting through. Since Tesla charges third parties the same as retail, I don't get the logic for not clearing items on a FIFO basis.

Nothing like extreme heat, during fire season, during a drought, on a well, to be reminded why one ordered Powerwalls in the first place.

On the bright side, Nissan Leaf batteries have come down in price. ;)

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Big Earl
My solar contractor said Tesla "Senior Management" will be contacting me directly in the next couple of weeks to explain their delays. I will report back here what I learn.
Well a sales rep actually did contact me today. There is a chip shortage with the inverter chips that go into the powerwalls. So powerwalls each have an inverter chip. Meaning the Tesla gateway does not act as an inverter. Interesting. They have two sources for these chips and BOTH are unable to produce due to Covid, other demands, etc. This has been true since earlier this year. Tesla has created another line at the gigafactory just for Powerwalls. The gigafactory can produce cells, put the powerwall in the frame and dress it up only to have to wait for semiconductors. Interestingly this is also affecting car manufacturing, but it is not the same semi. I am now told that "end of the year" will be the worst case and Sep. likely for my powerwalls. These issues have wreaked havoc on the logistics teams. Sales guys are given a heads up on getting new powerwalls and then when fewer chips arise the allocations get beaten back. Except for Tesla and a couple of larger solar providers such as Sunrun, all allocations are first in, first out.

Last edited:
Well a sales rep actually did contact me today. There is a chip shortage with the inverter chips that go into the powerwalls. So powerwalls each have an inverter chip. Meaning the Tesla gateway does not act as an inverter. Interesting. They have two sources for these chips and BOTH are unable to produce due to Covid, other demands, etc. This has been true since earlier this year. Tesla has created another line at the gigafactory just for Powerwalls. The gigafactory can produce cells, put the powerwall in the frame and dress it up only to have to wait for semiconductors. Interestingly this is also affecting car manufacturing, but it is not the same semi. I am now told that "end of the year" will be the worst case and Sep. likely for my powerwalls. These issues have wreaked havoc on the logistics teams. Sales guys are given a heads up on getting new powerwalls and then when fewer chips arise the allocations get beaten back. Except for Tesla and a couple of larger solar providers such as Sunrun, all allocations are first in, first out.
No one can say end of year worst case. Until they get parts, its wait and see. And then the folks with the big money and or contracts get them first. Dah

Well, at least everybody seems to be in the same boat. Our installation company (also our solar installer) have over 100 PW's on order and get virtually no information from Tesla. It's 115° out...hoping those utilities hold up....

Your location shows as Palm Springs. Isnt 115 degrees in Late Jun / Early July in palm springs just "Tuesday"? lol. I hope it (utility, etc) holds up out there, but they should be as adept at dealing with heat in palm springs as a utility in minnesota is with dealing with cold.

Well, at least everybody seems to be in the same boat. Our installation company (also our solar installer) have over 100 PW's on order and get virtually no information from Tesla. It's 115° out...hoping those utilities hold up....
No everybody's not. If Tesla was your solar contractor you'd have your Powerwalls right now, on time, discounted. You or I may not like it, but that's Capitalism. You don't supply your competition when you only have enough for yourself, and the more people contract Tesla, the fewer Powerwalls will be available for 3rd parties. I originally contracted with another Company to install my solar with 2 Powerwalls, but cancelled and went with Tesla. I now have a PW2 and PW+ in my garage - no long waiting game, and the PW's were basically free compared to the other Company's bid.

It’s more nuanced than that. Tesla isn’t reliably supplying Powerwalls to their customers in some markets either. There are other market demand forces at play that determine where the Powerwalls are going. There is been no independent confirmation, just correlation from people like yourself and myself posting that they got them, but areas with lower demand seem to have a higher probability of getting them. For example, New York and New England customers seem to report they get them quicker than people in California for example. Not sure if there is some sort of regional allotment that gets eaten up quicker by high-demand/population centers like California. I personally believe people in the northeast are getting them sooner if their utility is National Grid, Eversource, or Green Mountain Power since Tesla is enrolling those Powerwalls into VPPs and forming an income stream from them after the sale.

No everybody's not. If Tesla was your solar contractor you'd have your Powerwalls right now, on time, discounted. You or I may not like it, but that's Capitalism. You don't supply your competition when you only have enough for yourself, and the more people contract Tesla, the fewer Powerwalls will be available for 3rd parties. I originally contracted with another Company to install my solar with 2 Powerwalls, but cancelled and went with Tesla. I now have a PW2 and PW+ in my garage - no long waiting game, and the PW's were basically free compared to the other Company's bid.
Did you enroll your Powerwalls in Connected Solutions?

Well things certainly can change. I spoke to the Tesla Energy rep. on June 22, 2021. He said it would likely be late September or the end of the year at worst for delivery. Not a week later, my solar contractor said they had received some Powerwalls, and I would be having my 3 installed this week. Today they are installed! While I cannot say with any certainty that my conversation with the rep. had any influence in the delivery, I am, of course, taking full credit.