Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Backorders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enphase has an online retail store for all/most of it's product including prices (product only, no install price) Encharge 10™
For example the Encharge 10 - 10.1kWh battery is $7,002. I'm about to order an Enphase system with (4) Encharge 10 batteries. Could you please tell me what PCS control is? Thanks.
PCS control is the ability of the battery to control the power flow through designated current transformers.

So for instance with PCS control, you can be sure that no more than 40A of total backfeed flows into a 200A service panel with 200A main breaker.

This allows the installers to bypass some service upgrades, and use these PCS settings for advanced system control.

Looks like a nice installation. Mind sharing what you paid for those batteries?

Enphase certainly has come a long way in features with the recent release, with generator integration. Not sure if they have PCS control yet, but that would be the next step to get to parity with the Powerwall product.
TY. They are certainty pricier than PWs but to me, worth it. Those two added $26K to my PV install. Check out Enphase Storage

I see your wabbit.. raise you:
1627357557885.png

• Funny
Reactions: X-pilot
TY. They are certainty pricier than PWs but to me, worth it. Those two added $26K to my PV install. Check out Enphase Storage
I ordered two Powerwalls in March and now my 3rd party installer is also trying to sell me on Enphase Encharge units. My biggest gripe with these batteries is that each Encharge 10 is limited to only 16 amps. With two, you can pull 32 amps at 240V. Compared to two Powerwalls, you have 6 kWh more storage capacity with Tesla and those can pull 60 amps. I am really worried that Encharge units are not really designed for whole home backup solutions and you end up having to make a lot of compromises and choices when the grid is out. With Powerwalls everything is basically running and its hard to overload your batteries unless you really try.

If I went with two Enphase 10 batteries, I have a bunch of circuits that I would probably have to offload into a separate not-backed-up subpanel (dryer, oven, electric heat/heat pump combo) because the breakers are all 240V 30 amps or higher. The only high draw load I could include is my 2-ton AC. This is hardly "whole home".

Last edited:
I ordered two Powerwalls in March and now my 3rd party installer is also trying to sell me on Enphase Encharge units. My biggest gripe with these batteries is that each Encharge 10 is limited to only 16 amps. With two, you can pull 32 amps at 240V. Compared to two Powerwalls, you have 6 kWh more storage capacity with Tesla and those can pull 60 amps. I am really worried that Encharge units are not really designed for whole home backup solutions and you end up having to make a lot of compromises and choices when the grid is out. With Powerwalls everything is basically running and its hard to overload your batteries unless you really try.

If I went with two Enphase 10 batteries, I have a bunch of circuits that I would probably have to offload into a separate not-backed-up subpanel (dryer, oven, electric heat/heat pump combo) because the breakers are all 240V 30 amps or higher. The only high draw load I could include is my 2-ton AC. This is hardly "whole home".

Each Powerwall 2 (as we understand them today) is only able to deliver 5,000 kW continuous output. This puts it at 20.8 amps per Powerwall. This is still greater than Enphase, but does close the gap a bit. Overall it seems Enphase is getting better and better to the extent they've somewhat closed the gap on what made Powerwalls so good. I forget the user, but he was posting about his Enphase install here and it seemed his ESS was comparable to a Powerwall system (plus the parts are in stock).

When I got my 3x Powerwall with Solar using Enphase Microinverters, we basically used the rule of thumb that each powerwall could support 20 amps of current in the home. So basically my house is capped at 60A when on backup. And this 60A needs to be enough to start up my ACs.

Since you're in MN, I don't think AC startup is as important to you. But, if you have electric heating you may really need those extra amps in the wintertime.

We are here in SoCa ordered ours in Oct 2020 and are still waiting. We are in a Tier 3 fire area and eligible for the full SGIP. LA Solar emailed earlier in the week that we should be scheduled for our installation this week or next. We will see. :rolleyes:

took a direct lightning hit a few weeks ago, glad i didn't have my powerwalls yets! 27K in contents damage, not to include solar or structural.
7 solar panels are down. installer replaced 7 inverters but that didn't fix the system, so it must be the panels. they will replace the panels tomorrow morning.

took a direct lightning hit a few weeks ago, glad i didn't have my powerwalls yets! 27K in contents damage, not to include solar or structural.
7 solar panels are down. installer replaced 7 inverters but that didn't fix the system, so it must be the panels. they will replace the panels tomorrow morning.
You have any air terminals (lightning rods) on your roof? They can be very effective at diverting lightning strikes when properly installed.

Reactions: Vines
Glad you are ok!

I'd seriously invest in some lightning protection! Thats huge damage to your home. Hope insurance paid for it!

i made the insurance claim.
been thinking of lightening protection, not sure of lightening rods. thinking more like forty foot flag pole, grounded with a couple of ground rods. if you get a close hit, energy will still make it to your house. lightning struck close to my cable pedestal a few years ago, took out my amplified splitter, dvr and receiver.
glad i didn't have the ego z6 mower plugged in.
i got zapped by the strike, was on my ipad while charging.
no surge protector will help against a direct hit. i have surge protectors in both circuit panels. but the insurance policy on those don't cover a direct hit.
has anyone repaired the bypass diodes in a panel lately??

Last edited:
i made the insurance claim.
been thinking of lightening protection, not sure of lightening rods. thinking more like forty foot flag pole, grounded with a couple of ground rods. if you get a close hit, energy will still make it to your house. lightning struck close to my cable pedestal a few years ago, took out my amplified splitter, dvr and receiver.
glad i didn't have the ego z6 mower plugged in.
i got zapped by the strike, was on my ipad while charging.
So lightning rods do not attract lightning. Lightning will only strike a lightning rod if it already happens to be very close to the lightning's path. That's why it's better to put the lightning rods on your roof and not rely on a flagpole in the yard for protection. A large roof should have multiple sharp-point lightning rods mounted as high up as possible, each connected to a good earth ground with heavy gauge copper wire not in conduit.