Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Backorders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No reservation letter. One of the few communications I received from Tesla stated that they had started the process on my behalf. I inquired with SCE and they indicated that they have not received an application from Tesla for me. The application has to be done by Tesla - I don't see how I can do it myself without the developer code (?). Based on the lack of communication, I am concerned about proceeding with an installation and depending on Tesla to follow up on completing the SGIP process.
You can email [email protected] to check on your reservation. They have been pretty responsive.

Maybe good news for me? Just got a note from my installer that they had a conference call with their Tesla Energy sales rep and a divisional manager of some sort and were able to get my order moved to "shipment verification" status, which they SAY means my Powerwalls should be shipped within 2 weeks. Guess we'll see.

Order was placed with Tesla August of 2020.
Well, hallelujah, my Powerwalls are now safely in the hands of my installer! It's an early Christmas miracle.

i'm being told 2-3 weeks for my installer to receive my powerwalls, and 1-2 weeks for installation....

Nice, hope the wait is worth it!

Have you decided what you're going to do for the lightning rods? BTW, I don't know about Texas, but my installers here in California bonded neutral to ground at the Gateway instead of the main service panel. Caused me a bunch of headaches to get past the inspector. Since you're in a much more lightning prone area, I hope they get you grounded in a way you want.

bit off topic… but if PWs remain back ordered, possibly consider LG Chem Resu batteries. They are DC coupled and integrate nicely with SolarEdge inverters. I originally wanted Powerwalls but lead time was too long. Happy with my four Resu batteries and 10kW solar

Nice, hope the wait is worth it!

Have you decided what you're going to do for the lightning rods? BTW, I don't know about Texas, but my installers here in California bonded neutral to ground at the Gateway instead of the main service panel. Caused me a bunch of headaches to get past the inspector. Since you're in a much more lightning prone area, I hope they get you grounded in a way you want.
I think that is the way it should be done. Gateway is upstream from the panel so bonding of neutral to the ground should be done there. My inspector also raised this issue with Tesla and wanted to see some official Tesla document showing specifiedlocation of this bonding in whole house backup option.

I think that is the way it should be done. Gateway is upstream from the panel so bonding of neutral to the ground should be done there. My inspector also raised this issue with Tesla and wanted to see some official Tesla document showing specified location of this bonding in whole house backup option.
Not always. Here in California many homes have a combination meter socket and main panel. To do whole-house backup all of the branch circuits are moved to a new load center and the existing main panel just has one big breaker for the backfeed to the Gateway. So the main disconnect is still in the original main panel and the bonding stays there. One of the wiring configurations in the Powerwall installation manual shows this.

My son has lived in his house in western Massachusetts a year and has started the process with Tesla for 8 kw solar plus one power wall. They have applied for permits and he has sent them pictures but not scheduled yet. He just had a roofing company look at his roof and said it’s ok for now but probably has only 5 years left. I assume he should get the roof replaced before putting solar on? Also, he would need to tell Tesla he needs to wait until next year to save up now that he has to pay for a roof.
Does this line up with power wall back order times anyway? Can Tesla install solar during New England winter time?
Thanks

If in doubt, do the roof. Your son doesn't want to be hunting leaks five or ten years into a 20+ year solar installation.

Since Tesla seems to be ramping up battery production, there appears that there is not much to be lost by waiting until he has the new roof dialed in.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: bruce4000
So, ordered May 2020 with a third party.
Delivered mid August, 2021
Installed late August, 2021
Mid-September 2021, Gateway doesn't talk to the Powerwalls, (never has) and the Powerwalls don't talk to each other. Tesla tier 2 support is considering what to do, and has been for five days.

Wife is ready to get out the torches and pitchforks. "Let me get this straight; we spent how much money on wall decorations?"

Mid-September 2021, Gateway doesn't talk to the Powerwalls, (never has) and the Powerwalls don't talk to each other. Tesla tier 2 support is considering what to do, and has been for five days.

Wife is ready to get out the torches and pitchforks. "Let me get this straight; we spent how much money on wall decorations?"
This is one of the terrifying things about Tesla in general. You spend 20 grand on batteries, they don't work, and their support is awful. This is one of many reasons that I have switched to Enphase batteries, despite the fact that they are more expensive.

I hope you haven’t paid yet…

I’ve officially switched to Enphase. I originally ordered 11.9 kW solar and 2 Powerwalls, using a third-party installer in the Seattle area. Here’s my timeline:
Ordered early August 2020
PV install early October 2020
PTO late October 2020

Started exploring other storage options after numerous Powerwall delays in May 2021
Ordered Enphase Encharge storage early September 2021
Install scheduled October 2021

I’m certainly disappointed in the Powerwall delays and stuck it out for quite a while, but I reached a point where I wanted/needed the storage this fall, before going into storm season when outages occur. I’m getting 2x Encharge 10s and 1x Encharge 3, which is all that will fit on the garage wall I’m using. It is pretty close to 2x Powerwalls for storage and power. The Powerwalls were going to be stacked inside my garage since they still allow that in my jurisdiction. Price is higher unfortunately, but it doesn’t really matter since I couldn’t get the Powerwalls anyway.

I’m looking forward to having storage, along with slightly better integration with my Enphase microinverter system, and the LFP battery chemistry is safer to the extent that actually matters. I think the Powerwalls are a better product overall based on (quoted) price and performance.

We ordered with a 3rd party Oct 2020, they installed everything but the PWs July 2021 our PWs arrived today Sept 2021 and are supposed to be installed tomorrow. FWIW the delivery guy who picks them up said the Fremont, CA factory is now full of PWs. He said it's the first time in a long time he's seen that when he picks them up. Hopefully that means all those waiting only have a little more time to wait.

I hope you haven’t paid yet…
Not all, but a lot as construction had commenced.

Having dealt with complexities like this before, I find the lack of practical troubleshooting insights and spare parts slightly more than annoying.
"Oh no 12V from the motherboard? Let's pop a new one in and see how it goes."​
"Oh, no 12V passing out the CANbus on that power wall? Ok, let's drop a new controller in."​
Either you can reprogram the board in a minute or two, or you can't, and it is time to move to a new piece of hardware. This is not hard.

Tesla Tier 2 support going "We will get back to you in three to five business days."
Excuse me?...this isn't a toenail polisher, it isn't a car, it is a 24x7 critical infrastructure component. Neither Hertz, nor support are offering a loaner system to be temporarily spliced in to tide us through the outages. (And good luck with the permits on that.)​

None of my standby power vendors have ever been this bad. Not even close. Even during adverse events, and I have set up or advised on more than a few. This isn't unprofessional, it is indescribably bad.

Some aspects of this business may be complex rocket science, but troubleshooting isn't one, or shouldn't be one. Remember the line on rocket science, right?
"'Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department,' says Wernher von Braun."

The Powerwalls were ordered to solve a practical problem: outages. It wasn't trying to keep up with the neighbors or Instagram it. The problem is not solved, and I am beginning to question the longer term reliability/viability of this solution, if spare parts aren't readily available. So, all of you considering one of these systems, I would strongly encourage you to consider a transfer switch for a generator, or a more modular system like Enphase.

Pitchforks are looking mighty attractive.

All the best,

BG

Last edited:
Not all, but a lot as construction had commenced.

Having dealt with complexities like this before, I find the lack of practical troubleshooting insights and spare parts slightly more than annoying.
"Oh no 12V from the motherboard? Let's pop a new one in and see how it goes."​
"Oh, no 12V passing out the CANbus on that power wall? Ok, let's drop a new controller in."​
Either you can reprogram the board in a minute or two, or you can't, and it is time to move to a new piece of hardware. This is not hard.

Tesla Tier 2 support going "We will get back to you in three to five business days."
Excuse me?...this isn't a toenail polisher, it isn't a car, it is a 24x7 critical infrastructure component. Neither Hertz, nor support are offering a loaner system to be temporarily spliced in to tide us through the outages. (And good luck with the permits on that.)​

None of my standby power vendors have ever been this bad. Not even close. Even during adverse events, and I have set up or advised on more than a few. This isn't unprofessional, it is indescribably bad.

Some aspects of this business may be complex rocket science, but troubleshooting isn't one, or shouldn't be one. Remember the line on rocket science, right?
"'Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department,' says Wernher von Braun."

The Powerwalls were ordered to solve a practical problem: outages. It wasn't trying to keep up with the neighbors or Instagram it. The problem is not solved, and I am beginning to question the longer term reliability/viability of this solution, if spare parts aren't readily available. So, all of you considering one of these systems, I would strongly encourage you to consider a transfer switch for a generator, or a more modular system like Enphase.

Pitchforks are looking mighty attractive.

All the best,

BG

I’m still disappointed nobody took on my mock-up for a shame-billboard … it’s like a modern day pitchfork

• Funny
Reactions: BGbreeder and Vines