Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Backorders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it ever possible to get Tesla Solar but skip the Powerwall? With all the shortages and everything, I'd really just want to get solar right now. I don't think I really need a battery backup any time soon.
What does Tesla's ordering page say? PWs used to be optional, then were required, but are again optional in at least some parts of the country. Where I am, the default pricing includes PWs, but there is a "Remove Powerwall" option.

In MD. Maybe it is different in NV - I know some folks in CA were reporting that they still were required to buy PWs, so perhaps NV is that way as well.
Same here in SouthEastern PA. Around me, unless you want PW for outages, they make almost zero financial sense. My utility gives me 1 for 1 credit on any excess I push to the grid. Plus I am a flat rate of $0.145kWh, delivered (24/7/365), so rate arbitrage is pointless. I will always be a net user (22,000+ kWh last year) with my 11.9kW 35 panel system.

In our area by requiring PW's with a solar purchase, it would severely reduce the number of installs, as most wouldn't justify the $20k plus needed for batteries for just outages. The other concern is the amount of solar needed in this area to charge PW's day after day with weather and non summer production. Doubtful you could sustain a multiday winter outage around me unless you have a massive solar array.

My installer called today to tell me that they received a surprise shipment from Tesla with “a huge number” of Powerwalls. I had changed to Enphase Encharge batteries because the previous estimate was next year, but now I can change back to Tesla. End of quarter indeed!
That's great news!
I ordered 2 Powerwalls from a third party installer back in August 2020. No solar (I don't get much sunlight due to trees). It's been 14 months and I'm still waiting. Installer says they just haven't been getting large shipments from Tesla and there's no estimate. I'm guessing this has been the norm? I hope Tesla will send large shipments to third party installers soon.

I also ordered in August 2020 with a medical need to have power 24 hrs a day. The California Self Generation Incentive Program has approved me for Powerwalls. Tesla has been informed of this need. My solar company contacted them again yesterday and now they think the Powerwall with come in January but no promises as this is the third time Tesla gave a date. Tesla is totally ignoring my medical needs...

I also ordered in August 2020 with a medical need to have power 24 hrs a day. The California Self Generation Incentive Program has approved me for Powerwalls. Tesla has been informed of this need. My solar company contacted them again yesterday and now they think the Powerwall with come in January but no promises as this is the third time Tesla gave a date. Tesla is totally ignoring my medical needs...
Lots of other ways to deal with medical needs for power than a tesla battery.

Lots of other ways to deal with medical needs for power than a tesla battery.

Yeah, but the PG&E Gas Battery Rebate Program (GBRP) ran out of money super fast. And this was just for $500 to $1,000 generators and small-scale equipment backup.

The only incentive that cookeze probably had access to in the tail end of 2020 was the SGIP for medical baseline/equity. I think some other people took a bunch of the SGIP batteries (*ahem cough cough*).

Reactions: Zinc_Saucier
Yeah, but the PG&E Gas Battery Rebate Program (GBRP) ran out of money super fast. And this was just for $500 to $1,000 generators and small-scale equipment backup.

The only incentive that cookeze probably had access to in the tail end of 2020 was the SGIP for medical baseline/equity. I think some other people took a bunch of the SGIP batteries (*ahem cough cough*).
I am responding to his last sentence, Tesla is ignoring his medical needs. Telsa has zero responsibility for his medical needs. And if he did not find a solution during the last year, I guess the medical needs are not that big of a deal. SO many ways to keep the power on. And no reason they have to be paid by someone else.

Reactions: preilly44
I am responding to his last sentence, Tesla is ignoring his medical needs. Telsa has zero responsibility for his medical needs. And if he did not find a solution during the last year, I guess the medical needs are not that big of a deal. SO many ways to keep the power on. And no reason they have to be paid by someone else.

Yeah, I agree... the only person that should care about your medical needs is yourself.

I'm just pointing out that many Californian's are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They have homes with unreliable power, and solutions are rather expensive. A generator or well pump still needs someone to wire up a manual relay / disconnect or sub-panel so the homeowner can cut things over, start the generator, and maybe plug certain equipment into a hot outlet. Not everybody has mega-bucks to throw down on battery backup.

Personally, I think the SGIP program got abused really hard in the beginning. I saw some stats about how most early SGIP batteries went to very wealthy people getting backup on their vacation properties. Those in need weren't getting the funds. And of course now the inventory is tapped out.